Would you wear a mask?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Would you wear a mask, if available, to the grocery store tomorrow?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 27
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Would you wear a mask?

Post by Dieter » Tue May 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Xan wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:22 pm
Harris County has had under 8,000 cases, out of a population of 4.7 million. The actual odds of one of your maskless coworkers having the disease would seem to be vanishingly small.
Confirmed I would assume.

As I also assume that not all 4.7m are regularly tested.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Tue May 12, 2020 7:08 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:21 pm
jalanlong wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:28 pm

If I am a healthy person with no known risk factors, what is the ultimate purpose of staying locked up in my house and avoiding as much human contact as possible?

The short answer is that you may be asymptomatic, appearing to be healthy, and spreading the disease to enough people that you will quite literally kill some of them, whereas if you had stayed home, they would not be dead.

I’m not arguing against the notion that the lockdown is hurting the economy. It really is. But that’s the answer to your question.
And more wide-spread testing and knowledge about the virus.
* How many really have it?
* Who has antibodies?
* Do antibodies mean anything? For how long?

Plus like Ochotana, wanting people to wear masks. They aren't 100% effective, but appear to help, especially if worn by an infected person.

And holy beans, you got the federal executive telling people counts are going down when they are going up.
(https://www.businessinsider.com/white-h ... ump-2020-5)

Factories reportedly cancelling visits because fed executive won't take basic precautions - https://www.businessinsider.com/mask-fa ... rns-2020-5

Would love for the executive to stick to basic precautions and facts -- their works and actions do influence people.

I want people to not be jerks - don't threatening / harm employees because the business requires everyone to wear masks
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/1 ... rig-mg.cnn

(what happened to businesses being able to do what they want? Front line workers do NOT make the rules.)

Reopening also isn't about choice -- it's about forcing people back to work even if they don't want to due to health concerns -- lose unemployment. (And it's not just that some / many make more, which is a whole different discussion IMO).
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue May 12, 2020 7:19 pm

dualstow wrote:
jalanlong wrote:

If I am a healthy person with no known risk factors, what is the ultimate purpose of staying locked up in my house and avoiding as much human contact as possible?

The short answer is that you may be asymptomatic, appearing to be healthy, and spreading the disease to enough people that you will quite literally kill some of them, whereas if you had stayed home, they would not be dead.

I’m not arguing against the notion that the lockdown is hurting the economy. It really is. But that’s the answer to your question.
To phrase it a different way, a young, asymptomatic, dude needs to stay locked up because an irresponsibly non-social distancing old person might get sick and die.

I'm on board with the lockdown recommendations, but if I were in charge, they'd apply only to nursing homes and old people.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue May 12, 2020 7:19 pm

dualstow wrote:
jalanlong wrote:

I think janalong's point is that unless some vaccine/cure comes along, the lockdown is only buying those people a few weeks, at an extreme cost. That cost has come to be known as "the economy" but it's actually much bigger than that: it's the whole of society, of which the economy is a part.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue May 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Could be, Xan. Could be. I don’t know how it all works, even though I have been keeping up with all the news. I only know that i’ve been staying home both to not infect people and to not be infected. It reminds me of our debate on compulsory measles vaccines.

I’m only in my forties, and my wife is not yet forty, but we only go out to pick up food and medicine. Every time a panting jogger swings by I think, that guy might be murdering me because he doesn’t want to lose the muscle tone in his legs. I’m not thinking about the odds nor how much time might be bought.

Do we want young twenty-somethings with “no known risk factors” locked down? I’m glad I don’t have to answer that, but I think I supplied the answer to j’s question, the rationale, even if it may have been rhetorical. We’ll be self-quarantining after the lockdown is lifted in June. Just our choice. And we can afford to do it.

Kriegs mentioned some of the oldsters who are not following the guidelines. I see them, and i guess they don’t care. Who knows, maybe some of them are looking for an exit.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue May 12, 2020 7:54 pm

I see parallels with self-driving cars. One of the problems with self-driving cars is that humans can hack their algorithm in the same way old people going out without masks do. The self-driving car will stop to avoid hitting humans walking out in front of it or swerving into its path. So people would fuck with them by doing those things, and the car's mobility gets locked down.

Without pedestrians being empowered through weakness, the self-driving cars would be cruising around efficiently and safely. It's kind of the same with how people who are Wuhan-asymptomatic could be cruising around except for all the people who are either susceptible or afraid who "need to be protected from them" because of their unwillingness to protect themselves.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue May 12, 2020 8:23 pm

kriegsspiel wrote: except for all the people who are either susceptible or afraid who "need to be protected from them" because of their unwillingness to protect themselves.

Well, we have to out and get food eventually.

ADDED:
I’d be fine if the joggers were at least wearing a mask, like I’m wearing a mask. Not around the neck, but actually covering the nose and mouth.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue May 12, 2020 9:10 pm

Xan wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:19 pm
dualstow wrote:
jalanlong wrote:

I think janalong's point is that unless some vaccine/cure comes along, the lockdown is only buying those people a few weeks, at an extreme cost. That cost has come to be known as "the economy" but it's actually much bigger than that: it's the whole of society, of which the economy is a part.
Yes, that was my point although I didn't make it that clear. I understand the concept of distancing etc. But I don't understand the end game.

For example, I saw several headlines today saying something to the effect of "opening up causing rise in virus cases" or "experts worry opening up will cause a spike in new cases." First of all that seems so obvious as to be a ridiculous headline. Of course if people are sheltered and distancing and then they begin to mingle out and about in restaurants etc. they will spread germs and cases will go up. But what I don't get is the alternative. Of course if people gather in social settings then germs will spread. If people drive in cars they will have accidents. But what is the ultimate plan? Assuming the virus does not just disappear, are we to spend our entire lives distancing? I don't feel like I understand the long term plan of the people in favor of shutdowns.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue May 12, 2020 9:20 pm

Stop making sense. What are you, some kind of engineer?
;)
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed May 13, 2020 2:47 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:23 pm
kriegsspiel wrote: except for all the people who are either susceptible or afraid who "need to be protected from them" because of their unwillingness to protect themselves.

Isn't grocery delivery an option in NYC? I personally know someone (other than our beloved Vinny) who hasn't left his house for 8 weeks straight -- no trips to the grocery store or take-out. All delivery.
dualstow wrote:
ADDED:
I’d be fine if the joggers were at least wearing a mask, like I’m wearing a mask. Not around the neck, but actually covering the nose and mouth.
I actually haven't been wearing a mask when I go for my daily walks, because in my neighborhood in CA it's easy to stay more than 6 feet away from everyone at all times (sometimes by stepping into the road or crossing the street). Our local law requires us to wear masks only if we have to get closer than 6 feet to other people, like in most stores.

In NYC I'm guessing it's a bit harder to maintain social distance when jogging or walking outside on those crowded sidewalks, hence your concern about joggers not wearing masks properly?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 13, 2020 5:44 am

I’m actually not in NYC. I grew up in NY state- that’s probably where that idea started.
My neighbors have tried delivery. It worked at first. Now, they said, it’s hit and miss. Mostly miss. Delivery people show up days late.

I guess we’re not as hardcore as Vinny. We’re more careful than most. My friends are going out every day.

On the street, the same people who don’t wear masks are also the ones least concerned with maintaining distance. At least, that’s been my local experience. I had a girl ride by in the bike lane and cough just as she passed. No mask, no attempt to cover, no turning of the head, to attempt to stifle. She was inches away.

I sympathize with people who are concerned about the economy. There are other people out there who are just plain complacent about protecting against this bug, or who never cared in the first place.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed May 13, 2020 6:35 am

dualstow wrote:

Ugh, FINE. You are allowed food. But other places that are closed to everyone right now are off limits. No movies or restaurants for you! :-*
ADDED:
Makes me think of this article,
To grasp the urgency of lifting the ubiquitous economic shutdowns, visit New York City’s Central Park, ideally in the morning. At 5:45 am, it is occupied by maybe 100 runners and cyclists, spread over 843 acres. A large portion of these early-bird exercisers wear masks. Are they trying to protect anyone they might encounter from their own unsuspected coronavirus infection? Perhaps. But if you yourself run towards an oncoming runner on a vector that will keep you at least three yards away when you pass each other, he is likely to lunge sideways in terror if your face is not covered. The masked cyclists, who speed around the park’s inner road, apparently think that there are enough virus particles suspended in the billions of square feet of fresh air circulating across the park to enter their mucous membranes and to sicken them.

These are delusional beliefs, yet they demonstrate the degree of paranoia that has infected the population. Every day the lockdown continues, its implicit message that we are all going to die if we engage in normal life is reinforced. Polls show an increasing number of Americans opting to continue the economic quarantine indefinitely lest they be ‘unsafe’.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 13, 2020 8:53 am

I like Heather McDonald, that's kind of an annoying article. Masks are policy in many places, not paranoia. It feels like just yesterday that Americans with masks were the ones everyone avoided. It was assumed that they were sick. Finally, finally, the culture has changed, so now that people are at least making an effort to keep their fluids to themselves, they get called paranoid? Perfect.

Everyone's trying a little too hard to sound clever. And now, like everything else, it's getting politicized and divided that way.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Wed May 13, 2020 9:09 am

MangoMan wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:57 am
Most importantly, are you going to continue to shelter at home until a vaccine is available? If not, what is your plan?
Given there is no vaccine against the cold and flu viruses, I find it interesting all the talk about a vaccine for COVID19. Is it just wishful thinking? How long are people going to hold out before giving up?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 13, 2020 9:17 am

Used to teach English, and getting by on investments these days. Again, I’m not trying to use my own choice as something to impose on everyone else. I just wish people would honor the lockdown while it lasts, like wearing a mask if the state calls for it. As opposed to I’m an anarchist, and I don’t trust the government about other things, anyway. I’m smarter than the government, so I think I’ll do what’s right for me.

This is starting to remind of the anti-vaxxer movement in more ways than one. (1) This is a lot less effective when a critical amount of people doesn’t cooperate, and (2) the reason for not cooperating is tied to nefarious ulterior motives of the government.

As for how long we’re going to self-quarantine, I just don’t know, Pug. We’ll see how it goes.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed May 13, 2020 9:23 am

Tortoise wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:47 am
dualstow wrote:

Isn't grocery delivery an option in NYC? I personally know someone (other than our beloved Vinny) who hasn't left his house for 8 weeks straight -- no trips to the grocery store or take-out. All delivery.
Yesterday for me was the 8th week anniversary of me bringing in ANY outside food to my house. I've been living off the stock I had prior to then. All stock that was just my normal buying pattern of clearing the shelves when a particular item was on sale. All the 8th week anniversary of other things - like leaving my property. I did finally back my car out of the garage last week and let it run for 5 minutes.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed May 13, 2020 9:25 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:44 am

I guess we’re not as hardcore as Vinny. We’re more careful than most. My friends are going out every day.

Not really hardcore. Just a super extreme introvert whose lifestyle is well suited to put up with this while feeling little deprivation.

Yes, I've completely run out of fresh foods but I've not been sufficiently motivated to remedy that.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed May 13, 2020 9:39 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:17 am
Used to teach English, and getting by on investments these days. Again, I’m not trying to use my own choice as something to impose on everyone else. I just wish people would honor the lockdown while it lasts, like wearing a mask if the state calls for it. As opposed to I’m an anarchist, and I don’t trust the government about other things, anyway. I’m smarter than the government, so I think I’ll do what’s right for me.

This is starting to remind of the anti-vaxxer movement in more ways than one. (1) This is a lot less effective when a critical amount of people doesn’t cooperate, and (2) the reason for not cooperating is tied to nefarious ulterior motives of the government.

As for how long we’re going to self-quarantine, I just don’t know, Pug. We’ll see how it goes.
Dualstow, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this article that someone posted elsewhere:
https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... under.html
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 13, 2020 9:59 am

I try to keep an open mind, Xan. I don’t know why I should value his opinion over that of Fauci and other scientists, however.

Our lockdown is supposed to end in early June. If it gets extended again, I’m sure there will be more protests and less cooperation. If the restaurants start opening, i’ll be happy for them even if i don’t start dining out yet. But, I hope scientists will be behind that decision.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed May 13, 2020 10:03 am

The thing is that Fauci and scientists are myopic. This doesn't mean they're doing their jobs wrong. They should recommend the best thing for public health. But no one thing is the most important thing in the world. That viewpoint has to be balanced against everything else.

Just as a for instance, when one of our boys was born, the lactation consultant said "absolutely do not give your baby a bottle ever". And my wife's OB said "give the baby a bottle overnight so you can get a decent chunk of sleep".

Neither was wrong, they just have their own focus. Both were giving the best advice for the situation that was their purview. It was up to us to process both recommendations and make a final decision.

So saying "the scientists" should make the decision is, in my view, fatally wrong. They are an input, a major one. But there's a reason they're not actually in charge.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 13, 2020 10:12 am

I get that, I really do. The economy and other factors have to be taken into consideration. I don’t think, though, that Fauci is unaware of that.

On another personal note, I think the reason my wife and I cannot stay home as long as Vinny is mental health. (But, I’m glad you’re doing it. Bravo, Vinny). Our yard is the size of a bathroom. Going out for food one a week helps keep me sane. I primarily go to outdoor farmers markets where the food is already paid for and the risk is minimized. It’s not worth avoiding the virus if i’m going to have a mental breakdown. Yes, everything must be balanced.

Hey, I’m also going to a dentist this month.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed May 13, 2020 10:18 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:53 am
I like Heather McDonald, that's kind of an annoying article. Masks are policy in many places, not paranoia. It feels like just yesterday that Americans with masks were the ones everyone avoided. It was assumed that they were sick. Finally, finally, the culture has changed, so now that people are at least making an effort to keep their fluids to themselves, they get called paranoid? Perfect.
I think I mentioned it on here before, but I'm a big fan of how places like Japan wear masks when they're sick, as a cultural courtesy to people they encounter during the day. Watching videos from Japan on the toobz, it doesn't really look like people avoid them that much, it's kind of normal. They'd be doing interviews of a few people, and one of them is wearing a mask, no problem. I'm assuming that's the culture you said has finally changed. But again, I thought what she was calling paranoid is the belief that the people NOT wearing masks are the ones to be afraid of.

I can't get back into the article now, but the message I got from it was that we shouldn't be afraid of people not wearing masks. A culture of wearing a mask if you are sick is definitely something I'm on board with. I'm somewhat skeptical that it will catch on in America, though :-[
Everyone's trying a little too hard to sound clever. And now, like everything else, it's getting politicized and divided that way.
It's quite 2020, isn't it?
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed May 13, 2020 10:24 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:17 am

There is certainly an aspect of "don't tell me what to do" involved in the protests. But as far as "honoring the lockdown while it lasts", can you not see how people who have lost jobs and are unable to pay for shelter and food or small business owners who have lost months of income would be struggling to just "follow orders" while their life is crumbling in front of them? In certain political circles I have seen anyone in favor of reopening labelled as selfish. But to me, to demand to sit at home and force others to do the same while certain essential workers make sure your daily needs are met seems to be the height of selfishness.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 13, 2020 10:40 am

jalanlong, that’s why I keep repeating over and over and over again that I am not trying to force my method on anyone else. Except the mask wearing.

kriegs: yes, very 2020.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed May 13, 2020 11:18 am

Xan, I really appreciate your posts too. There are a lot of concepts here that people are struggling to understand and your comments are super helpful. Since we on this forum are struggling with them (and IQs here on average are going to be significantly greater than 100, I suspect) just imagine how the general population and politicians are faring.

It is clear that we can't stay locked down until a vaccine is available, because that is likely to take years. Some measures, like masks, social distancing and working from home, with extra protection for vulnerable populations, are going to continue until then regardless. There's a "ramp-up" plan for lab & clinical research at my university that spells out these measures, and they're going to be similar to what everyone else is doing. Twitter for example just announced a permanent work from home plan for the majority of their employees. And doctors' office visits are going to be predominantly telemed going forward.

It comes down to finding the right balance, and society will determine that more than government will. Saying that any amount of economic sacrifice is worth it to "save one life" is just stupid. First of all, you aren't saving a life. You are delaying death, because everyone's risk of that is 100% and the question really is for how long. Second, taken to its logical conclusion that argument would have us all permanently locked inside our homes, all motorized travel banned, ski resorts closed, the NFL and Little League shut down and most college sports stopped, etc. Lots of human activities carry a risk. Where do you draw the line?