Lark!
50%

Total votes: 8
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Owl or lark?

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:45 am

I've noticed that past a certain time (for me Eastern Standard Time) there seems to be no activity here aside from me yet we not only have participants all over the country with its different time zones but all over the world with really different time zones.

I also noticed this 25 years ago when I first got involved in a New York Yankees email discussion list that once it hit 11 PM (EST), the activity seemed to just about die.

That was always puzzling to me since we had participants all over the country -- all the way to California, who were of course three hours behind my time.

Then I asked about the only late night participant why he thought this was so. His response was, 'Americans are funny people!"

I'm a confirmed owl. Been one my entire life. By the time I was in 3rd grade my parents let me stay up late on weekends. I'd watch a Friday night movie that started at 11:30 PM and watch it until it was over at 1:00 AM. Of course back then needing my 9 1/2 hours of sleep per night I'd sleep straight through until 10:30 AM.

This is the first time I've ever created a poll here. Let's see if it works, with me asking if you are an Owl or a Lark!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Owl or lark?

Post by europeanwizard » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:43 am

I clicked lark, but since I live in Central European Time and start quite early (around 7 AM), it's entirely possible that I'm with the owls here :)
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:39 am

And I thought it was going to be a poll about being wise, or being happy-go-lucky! ;D ;D ;D

I usually get up about 5:30am, head off to bed at 8:00-8:30pm. I've rarely been a night owl, even in college I typically went to bed by 9 or 10pm. I figured "all nighters" of studying were for the ill-prepared procrastinators; I always have been more productive when well rested.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:45 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:39 am
And I thought it was going to be a poll about being wise, or being happy-go-lucky! ;D ;D ;D

I usually get up about 5:30am, head off to bed at 8:00-8:30pm. I've rarely been a night owl, even in college I typically went to bed by 9 or 10pm. I figured "all nighters" of studying were for the ill-prepared procrastinators; I always have been more productive when well rested.
In college I always stopped studying at 9 PM in both undergraduate and graduate school as I always had to leave fun time for me each day, which would be then from until midnight or later.

I never did any all nighters of studying. Did all my work as it was assigned. In some extreme cases turned in papers a week BEFORE they were due.

If you are an avid sports fan following all your team's games as a fan you have to be an OWL to do so.

Last night I got to sleep (in a few seconds) around 3 AM and slept straight through until about 9:30 AM.

I'm good with 6 1/2 to 7 hours of sleep. Been that way since junior high school when I first started having to much I had to (or wanted to) get done in too little time.

Finally, I've more times seen 5:30 AM by still being up at that time as opposed to getting up at that time.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:26 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:21 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:45 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:39 am

In college I always stopped studying at 9 PM in both undergraduate and graduate school as I always had to leave fun time for me each day, which would be then from until midnight or later.

I never did any all nighters of studying. Did all my work as it was assigned. In some extreme cases turned in papers a week BEFORE they were due.

If you are an avid sports fan following all your team's games as a fan you have to be an OWL to do so.

Last night I got to sleep (in a few seconds) around 3 AM and slept straight through until about 9:30 AM.

I'm good with 6 1/2 to 7 hours of sleep. Been that way since junior high school when I first started having to much I had to (or wanted to) get done in too little time.

Finally, I've more times seen 5:30 AM by still being up at that time as opposed to getting up at that time.

Vinny
You'd never make it as a pickleballer. I show up at 7:45a and they are always complaining that I don't come sooner.
Our basketball and softball games starting at 6 PM are just right for me!

However, when necessary for all day softball tournaments I have been out the door by about 7 AM. Obviously NOT my favorite thing to do!

Vinny