Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Internet Comments

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:01 pm

I'm sure a lot of you read Zero Hedge, Fox News and other sites where comments are allowed.

Here's a sampling of the first few comments on a ZH article where Chris Cuomo was verified to have the virus.

I ask you all, if you knew the identities of these people and were in a position to hire them -- would you? I would not. Let them go out with your sons or daughters? I would not.

This internet anonymity allows too many people to be vicious, cruel, and just terrible human beings.

Am I taking these things too seriously? I would never write that kind of garbage.

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Internet Comments

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:10 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:01 pm
I'm sure a lot of you read Zero Hedge, Fox News and other sites where comments are allowed.

Here's a sampling of the first few comments on a ZH article where Chris Cuomo was verified to have the virus.

I ask you all, if you knew the identities of these people and were in a position to hire them -- would you? I would not. Let them go out with your sons or daughters? I would not.

This internet anonymity allows too many people to be vicious, cruel, and just terrible human beings.
The last comment is almost funny. I would have gone with something like "I still don't think the virus has done anything to deserve being inside Chris Cuomo" or something like that.
Am I taking these things too seriously? I would never write that kind of garbage.
Yes.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:34 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:22 pm
If you limit the pool of prospective potential suitors for your daughters to non-idiots, they won't date much. ::)
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:41 pm

Cortopassi wrote:

Not really

Try to stop who your kids date. Let me know how that goes.

Yes it sure does. People like to Pile On.

Am I taking these things too seriously?
Yes you are.
Have you ever played Dodge ball in school?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:52 pm

Cortopassi wrote:

Promise me you'll never visit 4chan because what you're looking at is the shallow end.
It's a new world out there, where everyone can give their unsolicited opinion without spraypainting it under a bridge at 3 A.M.

The comments that look like they're designed to troll don't bother me as much as some of the sincere, seemingly innocuous ones.
I try (and utterly fail) not to look at the comments and social media.

(you beat my signature to the punch)
RIP Marcello Gandini
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:58 pm

YouTube seems to have the rock-bottom of Internet comment idiocy and depravity. And often hilarious for that very reason.

Has anybody found better?
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:59 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
If you think these types of comments are only found on conservative sites, you aren't paying attention. The internet is a wasteland riddled with toxic comments from anonymous trolls of all types.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:15 pm

Tyler wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:59 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
If you think these types of comments are only found on conservative sites, you aren't paying attention. The internet is a wasteland riddled with toxic comments from anonymous trolls of all types.
Agreed, but the other site I generally use for the left side view, CNN, does not seem to allow comments, or I am not able to figure out how to view.

pug, my point is a lot of humans in this world suck. Regardless of age.

I should stop looking at this stuff, but work is slow...
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:24 pm

I am starting to think moda, Vinny and I are the only left leaning people on this forum anymore... ;)
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:30 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:24 pm
I am starting to think moda, Vinny and I are the only left leaning people on this forum anymore... ;)
I hope someday you will join us
And the world will be as one
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:32 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Lean left another 300 degrees and you will be in good company. ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
mukramesh
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mukramesh » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:33 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
I'm also left leaning... but I try to stay out of online political discussions.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:34 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:32 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
TURN left 300 degrees and you're facing a different direction. LEAN left 300 degrees and you've fallen over.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:15 pm

Xan wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:34 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:32 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
TURN left 300 degrees and you're facing a different direction. LEAN left 300 degrees and you've fallen over.
Maybe. But the presupposition then is they aren’t in a zero gravity environment. I’m not quite sure about that. Sometimes it seems they could be in far outer space. 🤣🤣🤣. I expect they say the same about the right leaners.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:23 pm

Pseudo-anonymity and not having to look a person in the face certainly enables a lot of this behaviour.

I once read a book about online behaviour and I believe there's actually a name for this: online identity disassociation.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:11 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:23 pm
Pseudo-anonymity and not having to look a person in the face certainly enables a lot of this behaviour.

I once read a book about online behaviour and I believe there's actually a name for this: online identity disassociation.
We should all do a test. Who'd be willing to put a real picture of themselves as their avatar and real name? You already know my last name. First is Mike. And I'll continue the ND theme.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:13 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:11 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

We should all do a test. Who'd be willing to put a real picture of themselves as their avatar and real name? You already know my last name. First is Mike. And I'll continue the ND theme.
My avatar is indeed a real picture of myself. ^-^ ^-^ ^-^
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:29 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

Could I borrow your social security number for a little bit?
Actually, we had a thread where Vinny expressed surprise at the discovery that we don’t all use real names, because he was on a forum where they did that.

You’re a nice looking fellow, btw. Not at all what I pictured. (Those are two separate comments, so don’t repost that out of context kriegs O0 )
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:36 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

I've been doing it since day one.

However, I was again today thinking about the responses I got when I asked why almost everyone else used these strange names. Just about all of them made sense. But I've never been In any online place where I presented myself as other than myself.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:40 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:29 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

Could I borrow your social security number for a little bit?
Actually, we had a thread where Vinny expressed surprise at the discovery that we don’t all use real names, because he was on a forum where they did that.

You’re a nice looking fellow, btw. Not at all what I pictured. (Those are two separate comments, so don’t repost that out of context kriegs O0 )
Yes, I in a just prior post here I referenced what I thought was a Topic that I started. And, it was not a forum I was citing. I think I stated just about every other email discussion list I've ever been on that I witnessed people doing that. And for me also Facebook, Twitter. I just cannot think where I have hidden it anywhere.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:11 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

Great picture Mike. Perhaps it's the angle, but it appears your right shoulder is a bit lower than the left. Are you starting to lean right? ;)
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:14 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:11 am

Great picture Mike. Perhaps it's the angle, but it appears your right shoulder is a bit lower than the left. Are you starting to lean right? ;)
Well, I was at Notre Dame... While a lot of universities lean far left, ND seems pretty balanced and even very right on some issue like pro-life.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:17 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:29 pm
You’re a nice looking fellow, btw. Not at all what I pictured.
Interestingly, I just realized I don't picture any of you, I only ascribe male or female in my mind, and who knows if you all are portraying that truly!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:20 am

Internet comments: I remember the internet being particularly vicious with Anna Gunn, who played the wife of Walter White on Breaking Bad. It wasn’t quite clear if they didn’t like the character of Skyler (sp?) or Gunn herself, but it got so bad that Vince Gilligan asked her not to read certain websites. She finally published an op-ed about it against “Villigan’s” advice.

I think she’s a good actress.

(haha, yes, Corto I’m male. I think my mental image came from an older avatar of yours. How do we know your avatar isn’t a picture lifted off Facebook. O0 )
RIP Marcello Gandini
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:24 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Left leaning also. But today's left seems to be way to the left of me as I age.

I also hate all the trolling in comments sections and just don't read them anymore. People should not behave totally different online than they would in person. Fortunately for me, I am not on social media.