Suggestions for finding disinfecting wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, etc.?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Suggestions for finding disinfecting wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, etc.?

Post by WiseOne »

Interesting article in the NY Times this morning:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/opin ... idets.html

The especially good part:
Before paper was invented, or readily available, people used leaves, seashells, fur pelts and corn cobs. The ancient Greeks and Romans used small ceramic disks and also sponges on the ends of sticks, which were then plunged into a bucket of vinegar or salt water for the next person to use.
Seashells...OUCH!!!!!

Leaves...let's just say that's familiar to every backpacker on the planet. When I was in Kenya and went to visit a local family, I got to use an outhouse that was basically a hole dug in the ground near a tree with thick, soft, wonderfully scented leaves. That's their toilet paper tree (I wish I knew the official name for it). Best TP alternative ever apart from a bidet.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Suggestions for finding disinfecting wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, etc.?

Post by Kriegsspiel »

One day while out for a drive in Afghanistan, I got a call on the radio telling me that a MAM was being observed doing something under a bridge that we were approaching but they had lost sight of him. So we stopped short, figuring he was emplacing an IED, and "assaulted" the objective on foot. The TOC was relieved (heh) to learn that he had just been taking a shit under the bridge, and egressed via the wadi.

He used rocks.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

MangoMan wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:27 am When I was a kid, my father used to regale us with stories from his days in the Greek army during WW2. There were repeated anecdotes about being lucky to find old newspaper or leaves to use as TP most days. The implication was that we were soft, spoiled American kids who had as much TP as we needed, and to quit using more than 2 squares per wipe.
Slightly better than that but still sub-optimal, the TP you get with a military MRE (Meal, Ready to Eat) will train you well for times like these. The photo shows two packages but you only get one with each MRE.

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

flyingpylon wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:59 am Slightly better than that but still sub-optimal, the TP you get with a military MRE (Meal, Ready to Eat) will train you well for times like these. The photo shows two packages but you only get one with each MRE.
That's more than enough when you're eating MREs ;D
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

My dad, WWII vet, used to tell me a story that I was never quite sure if it were really true. He showed me how to use one square of TP. Fold in half, then in half again. Tear a small piece off the inside corner of the folded paper. Unfold. Place middle finger through the hole, wipe butt, pull paper off finger to wipe the finger. Use the small piece from the inside corner to clean under fingernail.

;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:00 pm
flyingpylon wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:59 am Slightly better than that but still sub-optimal, the TP you get with a military MRE (Meal, Ready to Eat) will train you well for times like these. The photo shows two packages but you only get one with each MRE.
That's more than enough when you're eating MREs ;D
After a couple of days that is certainly true!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I remember Willing in ‘The Mandibles’ enumerating a lot of those historical tools, like the vinegar sponges of Rome, and shitsticks for east Asian royalty. Michael Crichton mentions strips of linen in medieval Europe in ‘Timeline’, which sounds pretty luxurious.

In Moscow, I occasionally had to use newsprint. As you can imagine, the locals say that’s all it’s good for.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

dualstow wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:38 pm I remember Willing in ‘The Mandibles’ enumerating a lot of those historical tools, like the vinegar sponges of Rome, and shitsticks for east Asian royalty. Michael Crichton mentions strips of linen in medieval Europe in ‘Timeline’, which sounds pretty luxurious.

In Moscow, I occasionally had to use newsprint. As you can imagine, the locals say that’s all it’s good for.
Brings to mind the time I was visiting the USSR (touring with a group) and we ran out of t.p. Tried to buy more, but realized that 1 ruble notes were priced lower than the toilet paper. So...one ruble notes it was!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

😂 Couldn’t do that here even if the numbers were favorable. It would cost to much to pre-clean the bills!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

dualstow wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:42 pm 😂 Couldn’t do that here even if the numbers were favorable. It would cost to much to pre-clean the bills!
;D ;D ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

WiseOne wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:21 am Interesting article in the NY Times this morning:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/opin ... idets.html

The especially good part:
Before paper was invented, or readily available, people used leaves, seashells, fur pelts and corn cobs. The ancient Greeks and Romans used small ceramic disks and also sponges on the ends of sticks, which were then plunged into a bucket of vinegar or salt water for the next person to use.
Seashells...OUCH!!!!!

Leaves...let's just say that's familiar to every backpacker on the planet. When I was in Kenya and went to visit a local family, I got to use an outhouse that was basically a hole dug in the ground near a tree with thick, soft, wonderfully scented leaves. That's their toilet paper tree (I wish I knew the official name for it). Best TP alternative ever apart from a bidet.

Reminds me of this story I was told when I was a child.

https://curiosity.com/topics/the-suicid ... curiosity/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

{ gympie gympie }
Why does Australia have such poisonous flora and fauna?

How can I make this on topic- And,have you ever encountered a poisonous spider on your roll of TP?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Our family has continued to have good luck at Walgreens. Just ask when their truck gets there.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

dualstow wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:10 pm { gympie gympie }
Why does Australia have such poisonous flora and fauna?

How can I make this on topic- And,have you ever encountered a poisonous spider on your roll of TP?
Just lucky I guess.... ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDAiq2-xeU.

ps: black widow = redback
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

While I was in Quicken doing some work I finally remembered to check when I'd last purchased toilet paper. I was almost certain it was at least a few years ago.

On 10/2/17 I bought 48 rolls for $23.36 (including sales tax).

Here is what I bought - https://smile.amazon.com/ANGEL-SOFT-Toi ... l_huc_item

Today on Amazon it has no price and says "Currently unavailable". I'll have to periodically start checking when it is available so I can put in another order.

Today I now have 10 rolls plus 1 just started. So round to 11.

At the rate at which I've been using those 48 rolls (about one every 25 days), these 11 should last me until the rest of 2020 without having to buy any more. Maybe even longer as I've just started to be conscious of how much I use and trying to now use the minimum.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:46 pm While I was in Quicken doing some work I finally remembered to check when I'd last purchased toilet paper. I was almost certain it was at least a few years ago.

Today on Amazon it has no price and says "Currently unavailable". I'll have to periodically start checking when it is available so I can put in another order.

At the rate at which I've been using those 48 rolls (about one every 25 days), these 11 should last me until the rest of 2020 without having to buy any more. Maybe even longer as I've just started to be conscious of how much I use and trying to now use the minimum.

Vinny
You definitely need to eat more fiber. The hospitals may not be ready to perform a hemorhoidectomy.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:51 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:46 pm While I was in Quicken doing some work I finally remembered to check when I'd last purchased toilet paper. I was almost certain it was at least a few years ago.

Vinny
You definitely need to eat more fiber. The hospitals may not be ready to perform a hemorhoidectomy.
I'm about to eat a mixture of: carrots, beans, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, spinach, green peppers, cauliflower. All getting cooked together in the microwave as I type this. How is all of that for fiber? I have not bought any food in 19 days so I've run out of some things, like mushrooms, mustard greens, and broccoli.

Vinny
Last edited by vnatale on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Vinny
Keep us updated.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Vinny
I'm about to eat a mixture of: carrots, beans, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, spinach, green peppers, cauliflower. All getting cooked together in the microwave as I type this. How is all of that for fiber? I have not bought any food in 19 days so I've run out of some things, like mushrooms, mustard greens, and broccoli.

Vinny
I was commenting on apparent output rather than input. 🤣🤣🤣
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:57 pm Keep us updated.

Note to Vinny: he’s being facetious. Please do NOT keep us updated. :D
When my parents told me they were “using toilet paper like it’s nobody’s business” some years ago I told them, “Guys, it *is* nobody’s business.”
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:17 pm

Vinny

Vinny
You did say...."eat more fiber"!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:23 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:57 pm Keep us updated.

Note to Vinny: he’s being facetious. Please do NOT keep us updated. :D
When my parents told me they were “using toilet paper like it’s nobody’s business” some years ago I told them, “Guys, it *is* nobody’s business.”
Yes. Even Mr. Literal / Non-Figurative understood what he meant.

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:27 pm
Mountaineer wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:17 pm

Vinny

Vinny
You did say...."eat more fiber"!

Vinny
Indeed I did .... based upon your stated TP use data. 😱😱😱