Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Solar & Survival?

Post by GT »

Vinny

I think you are looking for something on a larger scale - 4 plus devises to charge at once - but I have been looking at the below as something to tinker with.

Biolite solar power charger for charging small devices (5 and 10 watt models)

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/ ... el-10-plus

They also make / sell a battery that can be charged via the solar charger
https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/charge-20

I have one of their stoves and it seems to work as designed
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:53 pm
Mountaineer wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pm Battery life:

“How long will my battery last?” I get this question a lot. The real question is, though, not how long batteries last, but how long SHOULD batteries last. Batteries have three distinct measures of life (run-time, shelf life and cycle life), and each type of battery chemistry has a different answer (alkaline, lithium-Polymer, etc.). For the answer to this common but complicated question, we must break down the answer for each chemistry. First let’s clarify the meaning of each measure of lifespan. ....... "

https://www.batteryuniverse.com/blog/tags/shelf-life/
Thanks!

Read it!

Anyone want to make bets on those Alkaline batteries that have been in their packages, stored in my basement, since I purchased them in December 1999?

Good or dead?

Vinny
Good AND dead. Kind of like the brief flurry of "looking good" on your deathbed just before you die. Then .... DEAD. Short version: don't depend on them. Get fresh ones for your survival kit.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Should have thought of this earlier...

You can get a good idea of prices, technology etc from websites like this.

https://www.emarineinc.com/Wind-Generat ... -Your-Boat

https://www.emarineinc.com/Pages/Articles-and-Tutorials
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I have a couple Waka Waka lights that I've used for both light and recharging a cell phone. They work pretty well, and the company donates one to a shithole of your choosing when you buy one, which is very cool of them. It looks like they've gotten more expensive since I got mine, but they've also expanded the product line. This one might be what you're looking for.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:27 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:53 pm
Mountaineer wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pm Battery life:

“How long will my battery last?” I get this question a lot. The real question is, though, not how long batteries last, but how long SHOULD batteries last. Batteries have three distinct measures of life (run-time, shelf life and cycle life), and each type of battery chemistry has a different answer (alkaline, lithium-Polymer, etc.). For the answer to this common but complicated question, we must break down the answer for each chemistry. First let’s clarify the meaning of each measure of lifespan. ....... "

https://www.batteryuniverse.com/blog/tags/shelf-life/
Thanks!

Read it!

Anyone want to make bets on those Alkaline batteries that have been in their packages, stored in my basement, since I purchased them in December 1999?

Good or dead?

Vinny
Good AND dead. Kind of like the brief flurry of "looking good" on your deathbed just before you die. Then .... DEAD. Short version: don't depend on them. Get fresh ones for your survival kit.
Week before last I went outside to get my mail and newspaper. Felt warm outside and I thought as soon as I finished working in next 15-30 minutes, I'd go to sit outside while reading and listening to music. Not 10 minutes after, while I was finishing working, I was seeing a downpour and tree branches moving wildly due to high winds.

Then the power went out. Fully expected it to come right back on. But it did not. And, there was a Yankees post season game on that night. I was not going to be able to watch it without electricity. But I could listen to it on the radio. I headed to the basement to retrieve those aforementioned old batteries (above).

I picked out a package of four AAA Everready "Super Heavy Duty". Put them in the radio and I listened to all for probably four total hours. The copyright on the back of the package says: "2004 Energizer". Not the ones I purchased in December 1999 (all of which I still own) but still quite old. But not "dead"!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

vnatale wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:00 pm But not "dead"!
Will jump in your thread like the Roman cavalry ;) For some sensitive devices (as safe boxes, which would otherwise require tricky way of getting energy from external power supply) I am using Duracells with PowerCheck technology - that way I can easily check their health any time and throw them away in advance. Found this page that explains a bit the technology behind, worth and short reading.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I don't have any experience with solar, but I have been contemplating a solar generator like the Point Zero Energy Titan. It may be more than you want to spend, but it appears to be pretty versatile, and you can also charge it using electricity from the wall, or using solar panels. There are several reviews and tests on YouTube available that go into depth.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Vil wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:41 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:00 pm But not "dead"!
Will jump in your thread like the Roman cavalry ;) For some sensitive devices (as safe boxes, which would otherwise require tricky way of getting energy from external power supply) I am using Duracells with PowerCheck technology - that way I can easily check their health any time and throw them away in advance. Found this page that explains a bit the technology behind, worth and short reading.
Thanks. Saving for future reference. At this point, I'm not a big throwaway battery user of any type. Almost all the batteries I'm using are embedded in the devices, e.g., iPads, iPods, phones, and so on.

VInny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Sherlock wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:35 pm I don't have any experience with solar, but I have been contemplating a solar generator like the Point Zero Energy Titan. It may be more than you want to spend, but it appears to be pretty versatile, and you can also charge it using electricity from the wall, or using solar panels. There are several reviews and tests on YouTube available that go into depth.
Had never prior heard of one.

Just did a quick glance at it here: https://www.amazon.com/BESTSUN-Renewabl ... 333&sr=8-1

NOT inexpensive!

Question would be for long the battery lasts and how often it would need to be replaced and at what cost.

At this point I only need something for emergency use.

However I have owned a propane generator for four or five years now (which I have never used). With a bonus that my across the street has a propane selling station. Therefore, I'd always have a ready, easy source . However, it would be more expensive on a long-term basis than using something powered by the sun. But it still might be less expensive overall for both fixed and variable costs considering how often I'd have the need. I have gone a day plus without electricity in those intervening four or five years without ever attempting to use the generator.

Vinny