Executive Member

Vitamin therapy for coronavirus

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:50 am

Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vitamin therapy for coronavirus

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:14 pm

Notice that the Vitamin C is intravenous. There is a real limit to how high you can raise the level in your bloodstream via oral doses.
I'd be interested in learning what the proposed "virus killing" mechanism is.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:14 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:14 pm
Notice that the Vitamin C is intravenous. There is a real limit to how high you can raise the level in your bloodstream via oral doses.
Yes, intravenous is obviously the way to go for very large doses.
The latter question will require some research but I've heard of it previously.
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:23 pm

I'll post this here, since it seems on-topic. My wife and I go to a medical group which has two "real" doctors (who can prescribe medications) but which practices "Functional Medicine" (which usually translates into them trying alternate/natural approaches, vitamin supplements, etc.). They sent the following to us on 3/30, and I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on it...

To our patients,

[unimportant content redacted]

Even as COVID19 continues to spread across the country, we are learning more about this virus. Here’s what we know so far:

1. Until mass testing for the general population becomes available, Social isolation works because the virus spreads by direct contact- so washing hands after touching any hard surfaces, avoiding touching the face seems to be our best defense. Keeping distance to 6 feet out in public areas has also been helpful.

2. Per reports from epicenters like NYC and New Orleans, over 80 percent of patients have mild cases, and about 5 percent are requiring ICU care. About 15% have been requiring close monitoring and support in the hospital.

3. The biggest differences between this COVID19 and other coronaviruses that cause common colds, seem to be that COVID 19 survives longer on hard surfaces and therefore more transmittable, and once patients get exposed, it has a propensity for the lungs. In susceptible individuals, their immune system is overreacting to the threat of this virus, and create an inflammatory storm, which then causes the lungs to fill up with thick mucous, and fluids.

4. Viruses, including COVID19, are intracellular organisms, which means they hijack our own cells to divide and multiply. Natural killer cells are the workhorses for our innate immune system, which is designed to be able to deal with thousands of different viruses. COVID19 is no exception.

5. Chloroquine, an antimalarial drug, and it’s relative, hydroxychloropquine, commonly used for autoimmune disorders, may be showing some benefit for the severely ill. One mechanism of action appears to be to allow zinc to enter cells easier. The results have been mixed and these drugs can have serious side effects.

6. We can best support our immune system by having adequate vitamin D level in our system of 50-80. Other well known immune supports, vitamin A, vitamin C in 1000mg range and zinc 30-50mg a day have also shown to be helpful. Natural herbs such as astragalus, andrographis, reishi mushroom, echinacea have been shown to boost our innate immune system. In asthmatics, mast cell stabilizers such as high doses of natural quercetin, natural mucolytic and antioxidant N-Acetyl Cysteine.

7. The efficiency of our immune system to be able to deal with this virus effectively, also depends on decreasing “nonpurposeful inflammation.” Nonpurposeful inflammation is anything that adds to the body’s baseline inflammation level. This means identifying and managing stress, excess sugar and processed foods, foods causing hidden inflammation, (many of you have had your Food Inflammation Test done), and overexercise.

8. A new rapid COVID19 test by Abott Laboratories is being fast-tracked and should become available to test the general public soon!

In our practice, our goal has always been to identify and decrease overall inflammation level in each individual, and help boost the immune system, which then helps us withstand any threats to our system.

[more unimportant content redacted]

Best Regards,

[names redacted]
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:14 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:14 pm
Yes, intravenous is obviously the way to go for very large doses.
The latter question will require some research but I've heard of it previously.
I'd take anything from Dr. Mercola with a giant grain of salt; with that said, even stopped clocks are right twice a day....

IIRC it wasn't that Vitamin C itself was particularly active against viruses but rather its oxidized metabolite dehydroascorbic acid; see :

Furuya A et al. Antiviral effects of ascorbic and dehydroascorbic acids in vitro. Int J Mol Med. 2008 Oct;22(4):541-5.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18813862

The only issue with Vitamin C as far as I know is that it seems to require taking it fairly early (ideally as soon as possible after you feel the symptoms start to show up) and in rather comparatively large doses in the course of a common cold (most of which are caused by coronaviruses or rhinoviruses) for it to do much good; if this is the case for COVID-19 then it might not be very helpful since one is usually asymptomatic for the first 3-6 days of being infected so how would you know if you had it in the first place in order to start taking the large doses of Vitamin C?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:17 pm

D1984 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:54 pm
[I'd take anything from Dr. Mercola with a giant grain of salt
Isn't that too much sodium? ???

Seriously, everything I've read so far says that fighting the viruses with vitamins is wishful thinking.
We're taking D and C anyway, and shiitake mushrooms when we can get them, but ... we know it's wishful thinking.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:50 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:17 pm
D1984 wrote:

Seriously, everything I've read so far says that fighting the viruses with vitamins is wishful thinking.
We're taking D and C anyway, and shiitake mushrooms when we can get them, but ... we know it's wishful thinking.
Okay, with a big grain of NoSalt, then; it takes just like salt anyway (not Nusalt or Alsosalt, though...those are disgusting and don't taste like salt in the least).

And while Vit D doesn't do much for actually fighting viruses itself it does act as a general immune booster so at least it is somewhat useful (and most Americans don't get enough of it anyway since we stay indoors so much).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:57 pm

Absolutely. That's the general idea of why we're taking what we're taking. At the worst, it just produces expensive urine. No megadoses.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:35 pm

D1984 wrote:
IIRC it wasn't that Vitamin C itself was particularly active against viruses but rather its oxidized metabolite dehydroascorbic acid; see :

Furuya A et al. Antiviral effects of ascorbic and dehydroascorbic acids in vitro. Int J Mol Med. 2008 Oct;22(4):541-5.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18813862
Thanks! That's was a good read. I hadn't heard that before.
Mark
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:04 pm

D1984 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:50 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:17 pm
D1984 wrote:

Okay, with a big grain of NoSalt, then; it takes just like salt anyway (not Nusalt or Alsosalt, though...those are disgusting and don't taste like salt in the least).

And while Vit D doesn't do much for actually fighting viruses itself it does act as a general immune booster so at least it is somewhat useful (and most Americans don't get enough of it anyway since we stay indoors so much).
How much does that describe the group here? Certainly would describe me from November to March in Massachusetts. But when summer hits (even before) I'm not inside until the sun goes down. It was always shocking to me when I'd be on an hour and one-half late afternoon / early evening bike ride on an absolutely beautiful (to me) summer night. Yet as I was riding by peoples' houses I'd never see anyone outside. I'd constantly be asking myself, "What? Is everyone sitting inside their air conditioned houses?"

I treasure late afternoon / early evening times when I sit in front of my house in the sun while reading and listening to music.

I actually did it yesterday for a few hours in 55 degree weather! But I was too bundled up yesterday for much sun to be able to hit my skin. Summer time there is a lot of skin available for the sun.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Vitamin therapy for earthquakes

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Effect of monthly vitamin D3 supplementation in healthy adults on adverse effects of earthquakes: randomised controlled trial

Abstract
Objective To determine whether supplementation with vitamin D improves resilience to the adverse effects of earthquakes.
Conclusion In this trial, vitamin D supplementation did not reduce the adverse impact of earthquakes in healthy adults.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vitamin therapy for earthquakes

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:17 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Effect of monthly vitamin D3 supplementation in healthy adults on adverse effects of earthquakes: randomised controlled trial

Abstract
Objective To determine whether supplementation with vitamin D improves resilience to the adverse effects of earthquakes.
Conclusion In this trial, vitamin D supplementation did not reduce the adverse impact of earthquakes in healthy adults.
I'm glad someone cleared that up.
Hopefully they have all been fired for wasting money on an idiotic research project.