Gold vs bitcoin...or both

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Gold vs bitcoin...or both

Post by doodle »

So I've been giving some thought as to the long term implications of politicizing our economy and monetary system as we have seen especially since 2008 and the bailouts, long term zero rate interest policy and now QE infinity with essentially trillions of dollars of stimulus....it seems to me that we are seeing a monetary system that has become unmoored and is free to be manipulated by political interests and politically connected elites. My feeling is that there is going to be a clamoring for stability and a store of value that isn't subject to all this complicated monetary gymnastics....the two biggest standouts in this arena are bitcoin and gold..bitcoin even more than gold being a hedge against current Fiat monetary system. What do any of you feel about adding a portion of it to permanent portfolio? Does anyone think that over the next few decades we are going to see serious stability issues with present monetary system given its architecture and the mounting levels of debt our system is predicated on?
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gold vs bitcoin...or both

Post by boglerdude »

If inflation gets out of hand they'll defend the dollar like the 80s: crank up rates and wreck gold, stocks, bonds, and real estate. If youre worried about hyperinflation you should be looking into NZ residency. The future's most likely Japan. Stability at the cost of innovation/creative destruction
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

boglerdude wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:57 pm If inflation gets out of hand they'll defend the dollar like the 80s: crank up rates and wreck gold, stocks, bonds, and real estate. If youre worried about hyperinflation you should be looking into NZ residency. The future's most likely Japan. Stability at the cost of innovation/creative destruction
If they crank up rates the budget deficit will increase astronomically.
They're trapped.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

doodle wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:19 am So I've been giving some thought as to the long term implications of politicizing our economy and monetary system as we have seen especially since 2008 and the bailouts, long term zero rate interest policy and now QE infinity with essentially trillions of dollars of stimulus....it seems to me that we are seeing a monetary system that has become unmoored and is free to be manipulated by political interests and politically connected elites. My feeling is that there is going to be a clamoring for stability and a store of value that isn't subject to all this complicated monetary gymnastics....the two biggest standouts in this arena are bitcoin and gold..bitcoin even more than gold being a hedge against current Fiat monetary system. What do any of you feel about adding a portion of it to permanent portfolio? Does anyone think that over the next few decades we are going to see serious stability issues with present monetary system given its architecture and the mounting levels of debt our system is predicated on?
Yes, we are going to see serious stability issues, and it won't take decades.
I can't really see people running to Bitcoin in such a situation.
Gold, on the other hand...
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

The advantage to bitcoin though is that it actually can be practically used for transactions.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

doodle wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:39 pm The advantage to bitcoin though is that it actually can be practically used for transactions.
The number of people who would take bitcoin is probably 1/100th of the number who would take gold.
And there is absolutely no reason why gold could not be used as backing for paper or electronic certificates by a trusted party.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Recent stock-to-flow modeling results on BTC, gold, silver. Fits the precious metals well, and predicts big gains for BTC. I'm willing to risk a little bit for a 100-bagger.

https://medium.com/@100trillionUSD/bitc ... d260feed12
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp »

Bitcoin's inflation resistant, seizure resistant, and digital properties are all advantages given the uncertainty that is happening in the world today. It has a huge price upside if much of this continues and worsens. But remember that is a speculation. A bug could be found tomorrow which tanks the price or maybe the network for some time.

I vote gold and bitcoin.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

ochotona wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:28 am Recent stock-to-flow modeling results on BTC, gold, silver. Fits the precious metals well, and predicts big gains for BTC. I'm willing to risk a little bit for a 100-bagger.

I like it! From what I read, Bitcoin is going to $1M by 2024. Their reasoning definitely looks solid to me. There's nothing more solid than using a physics analogy to explain financial stuff. Count me in. I own 0.3 of one bitcoin. My plan is that if the price gets high enough for me to pay off my home mortgage, that's when I sell. I currently owe about $60k on the mortgage, so bitcoin would need to get to $200k for my plan to take place. Of course, the mortgage goes down a little each month, so that's even better.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

stuper1 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:55 pm
ochotona wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:28 am Recent stock-to-flow modeling results on BTC, gold, silver. Fits the precious metals well, and predicts big gains for BTC. I'm willing to risk a little bit for a 100-bagger.

I like it! From what I read, Bitcoin is going to $1M by 2024. Their reasoning definitely looks solid to me. There's nothing more solid than using a physics analogy to explain financial stuff. Count me in. I own 0.3 of one bitcoin. My plan is that if the price gets high enough for me to pay off my home mortgage, that's when I sell. I currently owe about $60k on the mortgage, so bitcoin would need to get to $200k for my plan to take place. Of course, the mortgage goes down a little each month, so that's even better.
Sounds like a great plan. If you have very smart people using math to predict markets, you can't go wrong!
Like this: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/lo ... apital.asp