Shout Out to Technovelist

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Shout Out to Libertarian666

Post by Smith1776 »

Just wanted to give a big shout out to Libertarian666 who just spent over an hour chatting with me over Skype.

Such a great morning to be able to talk with a friend and get my mind off of the girl troubles. Again, this community is great, and with lockdown and I'm getting more and more of my social exposure online.

Also, for those of you who don't know, Tech is the author of several great books on C++ that are worth checking out.

https://www.amazon.com/Dialog-Programmi ... 000ZJP35S/

Hope you guys are doing well.
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Shout Out to Libertarian666

Post by dualstow »

Nice!
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

dualstow wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:45 pmNice!

Plus three. I had some extra time today so I thought I would be more verbose than a +3. 🤣🤣😱
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

tech, does that book come with a gold coin?! ;)

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Thanks @smith1776! I didn't get notified of your post because you didn't cite my user name, but I appreciate it now that I have seen it!

As for the book price, I doubt anyone is going to pay over $900 for it, although the used ones are more reasonably priced. Probably the kindle version is more likely to sell although I'm not sure the formatting will come through.

However, I own the rights because it is out of print, and I'll offer a free pdf of it to anyone who is interested. All I'll need is a private message with an email address to send it to.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

Nice! Haven't done C++ in a LONG time -- first full time job doing developer support. Only 57-ish floppies to install. :)
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Dieter wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:56 pm Nice! Haven't done C++ in a LONG time -- first full time job doing developer support. Only 57-ish floppies to install. :)
I may have a budget to hire a C++ developer soon. Any suggestions as to where I could find a fairly senior person would be welcome.
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

I like you guys from the forum more and more. When I hear about C++, memories from years ago are coming back in my head. In Europe it's relatively hard to find good C++ devs, mostly you can find ones using the 'popular' programming languages. I know literally hundreds of developers and only few of them are still doing decent stuff in C++ (storage area networks and alike)
Disclosure: I have left active programming more than 10 years ago (was certified in several programming languages), but still feel as part of the brotherhood ...
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Vil wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:22 am I like you guys from the forum more and more. When I hear about C++, memories from years ago are coming back in my head. In Europe it's relatively hard to find good C++ devs, mostly you can find ones using the 'popular' programming languages. I know literally hundreds of developers and only few of them are still doing decent stuff in C++ (storage area networks and alike)
Disclosure: I have left active programming more than 10 years ago (was certified in several programming languages), but still feel as part of the brotherhood ...
Most C++ programmers probably aren't very good.
But that's not the fault of C++: it's because most programmers aren't very good. ;)
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Tech, what makes a great programmer? I last programmed using Fortran in college circa 1964 and pretty much sucked at it so be gentle with your answer. ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Mountaineer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:12 pm Tech, what makes a great programmer? I last programmed using Fortran in college circa 1964 and pretty much sucked at it so be gentle with your answer. ;D
I don't think there is a simple answer to that question, other than to say that you have to be really interested in how programs and computers work.

It also requires a lot of time invested. While the "10,000 hour rule" isn't terribly accurate, the general idea that you have to spend a long time practicing to get really good is indeed true. I have about 100,000 hours of programming experience, and probably won't ever get to 200,000 hours...
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:47 pm
Mountaineer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:12 pm Tech, what makes a great programmer? I last programmed using Fortran in college circa 1964 and pretty much sucked at it so be gentle with your answer. ;D
I don't think there is a simple answer to that question, other than to say that you have to be really interested in how programs and computers work.

It also requires a lot of time invested. While the "10,000 hour rule" isn't terribly accurate, the general idea that you have to spend a long time practicing to get really good is indeed true. I have about 100,000 hours of programming experience, and probably won't ever get to 200,000 hours...
Thanks, I can appreciate that. It is pretty much the same for Chemical Engineers, and perhaps most of those who are really good in their various vocations - lots of interest in the subject and lots of time practicing it and willingness to stay abreast of the technology.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

Yeah, hard to define what makes a good programmer.

But man, there is such a difference between bad to good to great.

It's kinda like most people can write.

Some can write a decent novel.

Fewer can write a truly great story.

Although anyone whose had to clean up after others may have a finer appreciation of comments, test driven development, and defensive programming.

Alas, I've been away from work environments with c++ developers since 99. And now I'm more a Business Analyst who does some SQL and less PL/SQL.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

Libertarian666 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:19 pm
Dieter wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:56 pm Nice! Haven't done C++ in a LONG time -- first full time job doing developer support. Only 57-ish floppies to install. :)
I may have a budget to hire a C++ developer soon. Any suggestions as to where I could find a fairly senior person would be welcome.
Alas, away from that area for too long.

If anyone I know is looking, I'll ping you for your email.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Dieter wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:10 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:19 pm
Alas, away from that area for too long.

If anyone I know is looking, I'll ping you for your email.
Thanks!
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

Good developers... you've covered it already, but IMHO being smart helps a lot, too ;D
That can be trained to certain extent - in a way that experience can make you act smarter.. Unfortunately, the wide availability of easily accessible information on web and the high level of APIs already created, do not additionally stimulate smartness in developers nowadays ..
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Vil wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:20 am Good developers... you've covered it already, but IMHO being smart helps a lot, too ;D
That can be trained to certain extent - in a way that experience can make you act smarter.. Unfortunately, the wide availability of easily accessible information on web and the high level of APIs already created, do not additionally stimulate smartness in developers nowadays ..
I thought it was obvious that you have to be smart, but thanks for pointing that out. O0