An historic day

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

An historic day

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:03 am

The very first manned space launch ever by a commercial aerospace company!
https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: An historic day

Post by stuper1 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:59 pm

I'll be watching today online for sure. Launch time is 4:33pm EDT. I've watched some of SpaceX's unmanned launches live at Vandenberg Airforce Base in California. We were parked several miles away, and our minivan still shook from the sound. It's an awesome display of controlled power. I'm hoping some day to get to see the BFR launch live. That thing is going to be huge. That's the launch vehicle for the manned Mars mission.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Wed May 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Thanks Tech,

Will watch for sure. Good to see something positive happening in the US.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed May 27, 2020 2:47 pm

Yeah, thanks.

Just read this after quitting my yard work on a very hot day. Now I'm motivated to go outside and get back to work some time before lift off.

If the sky was clear, like it surprisingly is today, we could see the space shuttle launch even though it was over a hundred miles away. This includes the Challenger, unfortunately. I was at work and we all had to go back outside to find out what the hell just happened.

Also saw an amazing light display in the sky one time when they launched near dusk. There is a word for it which I've forgotten but it was like nothing I'd ever seen before - and it didn't seem like it came from miles away. It was like the whole atmosphere as far as you can see was lit up and it lingered for a long time.

Most amazing launch I ever saw however was when I was on a plane and the pilot said to look out the window because you might be able to see the space shuttle. So I did, and OMG he was right. It was probably farther away than it seemed but you could see it clearly.

Update: Oh well, try again on Saturday.
Last edited by pp4me on Wed May 27, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed May 27, 2020 3:10 pm

It is really nice to have something top-of-mind that isn't Trump or the virus. How long has it been since the big headline on Drudge was something other than those two? Well it is now, thanks to this. Not really a Musk fan in general but this is pretty spectacular.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed May 27, 2020 7:44 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:47 pm
Yeah, thanks.

Just read this after quitting my yard work on a very hot day. Now I'm motivated to go outside and get back to work some time before lift off.

If the sky was clear, like it surprisingly is today, we could see the space shuttle launch even though it was over a hundred miles away. This includes the Challenger, unfortunately. I was at work and we all had to go back outside to find out what the hell just happened.

Also saw an amazing light display in the sky one time when they launched near dusk. There is a word for it which I've forgotten but it was like nothing I'd ever seen before - and it didn't seem like it came from miles away. It was like the whole atmosphere as far as you can see was lit up and it lingered for a long time.

Most amazing launch I ever saw however was when I was on a plane and the pilot said to look out the window because you might be able to see the space shuttle. So I did, and OMG he was right. It was probably farther away than it seemed but you could see it clearly.

Update: Oh well, try again on Saturday.
We lived in Florida for about 18 months and saw two rocket launches. One was a night launch, which is the most spectacular sight (and sound) you will ever witness (and live to tell about it)!
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat May 30, 2020 5:08 pm

Couldn't see a thing today because it was too cloudy. Yesterday would have actually been much better viewing from the West coast.