This is a wonderful example of how not to react to these events:

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2020/06/ ... rotesters/
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Being supportive of rioters

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:43 am

Interesting, I though that was a well written and well thought out article expressing anger at the looting, but also some level of understanding.

Aren't you an anarchist, tech? Don't you want to see it all burn anyway? ;)
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:03 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:43 am
Interesting, I though that was a well written and well thought out article expressing anger at the looting, but also some level of understanding.

From the article:
"Whether it’s to overturn the whole system as the anarchists want, to hasten the race war as the white nationalists want, or just to “get paid” as the looters want, they all distract from the message the protesters meant to deliver with their shouts, bricks and flames."

The only message delivered with bricks and flames is "I am a murderous criminal".

As for anarchy, it means no rulers, not no rules.

Read https://cdn.mises.org/For%20a%20New%20L ... esto_3.pdf for an explanation.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:14 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:03 am
Cortopassi wrote:

From the article:
"Whether it’s to overturn the whole system as the anarchists want, to hasten the race war as the white nationalists want, or just to “get paid” as the looters want, they all distract from the message the protesters meant to deliver with their shouts, bricks and flames."

The only message delivered with bricks and flames is "I am a murderous criminal".

Are you being selective with your clipping?

And then, after they do, the opportunists come around to push their own agendas. Whether it’s to overturn the whole system as the anarchists want, to hasten the race war as the white nationalists want, or just to “get paid” as the looters want, they all distract from the message the protesters meant to deliver with their shouts, bricks and flames.

I believe she is defining the opportunists as the object for the shouts bricks and flames, not the protesters?

And elsewhere in the article

This morning, a middle-aged woman who lives on the other side of The Shoppes at La Salle from me was having none of that. As we both stood in front of the ransacked Rite Aid drugstore — the only business in the strip mall to have successfully been invaded — she let her fellow African-Americans, some of them likely neighbors, have it.

“These ain’t La Salle students did this, they’re all home,” she said to no one in particular. “This ain’t about no George Floyd. These are crazy people who took advantage of a situation.”

She didn’t stop there. “I live here. I come here every day. I get my medicines here. Why would anyone trash their own neighborhood like that? I’m black, and today, I’m ashamed to be black. They treat us like animals because we act like animals.”
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:29 am

Hey, I've got a great idea. Build a new city somewhere, safely away from existing communities. On an island, maybe. Mandate that there will be no police, court system, or jails. Let's even be nice and offer people who move there free housing and a small stipend, by way of attraction. In return, they have to agree to strict limitations on travel out of the city.

Wonder what the results of this experiment would be. I bet life there wouldn't be much different from current minority communities, but perhaps the residents would be happier without having to deal with outsiders trying to enforce laws. We certainly would be happier with less crime to worry about. In other words, why not give them what they want - EXACTLY what they want?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:12 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:29 am
Hey, I've got a great idea. Build a new city somewhere, safely away from existing communities. On an island, maybe. Mandate that there will be no police, court system, or jails. Let's even be nice and offer people who move there free housing and a small stipend, by way of attraction. In return, they have to agree to strict limitations on travel out of the city.

Wonder what the results of this experiment would be. I bet life there wouldn't be much different from current minority communities, but perhaps the residents would be happier without having to deal with outsiders trying to enforce laws. We certainly would be happier with less crime to worry about. In other words, why not give them what they want - EXACTLY what they want?
A bit like Escape from New York, eh?

Obviously you, and I and I am sure most people don't understand the motivations. I can't see going out and looting for any reason other than if I was literally starving to death. But we don't live in these communities. Democrats, Republicans, churches, community groups, etc have tried for decades to improve the situation (or maybe not, depending what you believe). I certainly don't have a solution, but I've heard enough black parents on TV talking about counseling their black kids on how to deal with police so they don't get hurt/killed/arrested that I am sure I'd be damn pissed off if that was my situation.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:20 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:12 pm
I've heard enough black parents on TV talking about counseling their black kids on how to deal with police so they don't get hurt/killed/arrested that I am sure I'd be damn pissed off if that was my situation.
Isn't that common sense? Everybody should know how to behave around police, particularly in any kind of confrontational scenario, which certainly includes something as simple as a traffic stop. The advice is the same for everyone: be polite and respectful, follow orders (while making it clear that you're not voluntarily cooperating, if needed), don't make sudden motions, do everything you can to not make the officer feel threatened. The more comfortable he is with the encounter, the better it'll go for everyone.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:26 pm

Xan wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:20 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:12 pm
I've heard enough black parents on TV talking about counseling their black kids on how to deal with police so they don't get hurt/killed/arrested that I am sure I'd be damn pissed off if that was my situation.
Isn't that common sense? Everybody should know how to behave around police, particularly in any kind of confrontational scenario, which certainly includes something as simple as a traffic stop. The advice is the same for everyone: be polite and respectful, follow orders (while making it clear that you're not voluntarily cooperating, if needed), don't make sudden motions, do everything you can to not make the officer feel threatened. The more comfortable he is with the encounter, the better it'll go for everyone.
I don't disagree with what you've said, but there is still a bias. White guy driving a Mercedes, no problem. Black guy, probably might look up if the car was stolen.

From a recent article below. So you think blacks and Hispanics just don't distance as well???
--------------------------------------
According to the NYPD data, 374 summons “for violations of emergency procedures and acts liable to spread disease” were handed out by police between March 16 and May 5. A summons is a ticket that is usually issued to someone by a police officer for a court appearance after violating a law.

Of that 374 summons, 304 were handed out to black and Hispanic people.

Related information from the Brooklyn DA’s office confirmed that 40 people were arrested from March 17 to May 4 for not following social distancing measures. 35 of those people were black, four of them were Hispanic and one was white.

https://time.com/5834414/nypd-social-di ... rest-data/
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:26 pm
I don't disagree with what you've said, but there is still a bias. White guy driving a Mercedes, no problem. Black guy, probably might look up if the car was stolen.
Don't they always run the plates and the license on pretty much every stop?

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:26 pm
From a recent article below. So you think blacks and Hispanics just don't distance as well???
--------------------------------------
According to the NYPD data, 374 summons “for violations of emergency procedures and acts liable to spread disease” were handed out by police between March 16 and May 5. A summons is a ticket that is usually issued to someone by a police officer for a court appearance after violating a law.

Of that 374 summons, 304 were handed out to black and Hispanic people.

Related information from the Brooklyn DA’s office confirmed that 40 people were arrested from March 17 to May 4 for not following social distancing measures. 35 of those people were black, four of them were Hispanic and one was white.

https://time.com/5834414/nypd-social-di ... rest-data/
No Asians either. My guess as to the situation here is that police have been friendily reminding people to do proper distancing, which 99% of the time results in compliance, except for small subsets (teenage males, I'm guessing) which decide to ignore/challenge/sass such requests.

As for whether white teenagers are choosing not to engage in such a way, or whether police decline to ticket them while ticketing black teenagers for the same thing, I suppose we don't know. Personally I think the former is more likely. Perhaps combined with more white kids being inside playing video games while more black kids are hanging out with their friends on the street.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:45 pm

WiseOne wrote:

United States of Nevada in the 'Mandibles' novel?
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:14 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:03 am
Cortopassi wrote:

From the article:

Are you being selective with your clipping?

And then, after they do, the opportunists come around to push their own agendas. Whether it’s to overturn the whole system as the anarchists want, to hasten the race war as the white nationalists want, or just to “get paid” as the looters want, they all distract from the message the protesters meant to deliver with their shouts, bricks and flames.

I believe she is defining the opportunists as the object for the shouts bricks and flames, not the protesters?
Sorry, I don't agree that the opportunists are the ones using the shouts, bricks, and flames. Note the phrase "protests and riots" in this passage:

"This same person got upset about something else last night as a second curfew descended on the city. His target this time: The people who have turned the protests and riots into an illegal shopping spree."

Protests aren't violent. Riots are.

Want to reconsider your position?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:48 pm

WiseOne wrote:

The outcome would depend entirely on who the residents were.
If the residents were like you and me, in other words pro- rather than anti-social, it would be heaven on earth.
If the residents were criminals, it would be... well, just like it is today in the blue cities.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:55 pm

tech, especially, but all,

I grew up in a working class family, dad was a mechanic, mom was a housewife, our grandparents lived with us. My parents were 1st generation immigrants.

My brother and I both graduated college. He is a Dr, I am an engineer. All our kids will have degrees and some with advanced degrees.

We all had an opportunity to go to really good schools, and live in great neighborhoods.

I don't think most of us have any concept of living in neighborhoods like some of the ones where we are seeing the riots. Of going to shitty schools. Of being in fear of gangs. I cannot even imagine it. I would think the first thing any sane person would want to do is leave these areas. But I don't know and cannot understand their personal situations. So I can't pass judgement. The looting and vandalism is bad, and unlawful, but it is still a tiny minority of the people out there protesting and there are always assholes just like there are good cops and bad cops.

And they are the ones who mostly make the news.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:05 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:55 pm

I grew up in a working class family, dad was a mechanic, mom was a housewife, our grandparents lived with us. My parents were 1st generation immigrants.

My brother and I both graduated college. He is a Dr, I am an engineer. All our kids will have degrees and some with advanced degrees.

We all had an opportunity to go to really good schools, and live in great neighborhoods.

I don't think most of us have any concept of living in neighborhoods like some of the ones where we are seeing the riots. Of going to shitty schools. Of being in fear of gangs. I cannot even imagine it. I would think the first thing any sane person would want to do is leave these areas. But I don't know and cannot understand their personal situations. So I can't pass judgement. The looting and vandalism is bad, and unlawful, but it is still a tiny minority of the people out there protesting and there are always assholes just like there are good cops and bad cops.

And they are the ones who mostly make the news.
I grew up in a working class family. My grandparents were first generation immigrants.
I was the first one in my direct line to graduate from college.
I paid for it with work and with grants and loans, all paid back.
I've lived in some really crappy neighborhoods, in Brooklyn in particular. I shudder to think how much danger I was in without realizing it.

I understand protesting, and support it even if I don't agree with the particular complaint. It's their right.

But nothing justifies arson and looting. Nothing.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:24 pm

White natuonalists posing as Antifa.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/t ... r-n1221456
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:25 pm

Agree and that's why I called them assholes. They are only screwing the neighborhoods they possibly still have to live in. Makes no sense at all.

Also no sense with the cop leaving his knee on Floyd's neck long after he's pleading that he can't breathe. Makes no sense again. I don't know where people go in their minds --- this is being videoed, a human is literally pleading for his life, and you can't see past what you are doing to the destruction you will be causing to your own life and family.

Seriously, that cop, after his actions, basically committed suicide right there. Whether he does it himself or is killed in jail or whatever, he completely threw away his life for lack of moving his leg off the guy's neck. Why?
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:35 pm

Peaceful protest. Copz escalating. Attacking the press.

https://7news.com.au/sunrise/on-the-sho ... -c-1073136

Holy expletive.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Dieter wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:24 pm

I'm glad Twitter is preventing white nationalists from horning in on Antifa's racket! What has this world come to, that a wonderful organization like Antifa can't organize their own riots without interference?
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:00 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:54 pm
Dieter wrote:

I'm glad Twitter is preventing white nationalists from horning in on Antifa's racket! What has this world come to, that a wonderful organization like Antifa can't organize their own riots without interference?
Where is your proof Antifa is an organization?

Proff that they have been organizing any of the violence?

What has this got to do with the point that FA organizations are trying to invite violence?

Being anti fascists in and of itself doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:15 pm

WiseOne wrote:

and-australia-as-we-all-know-is-entirely-peopled-with-criminals.jpg
and-australia-as-we-all-know-is-entirely-peopled-with-criminals.jpg (51.69 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Dieter wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:00 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:54 pm
Dieter wrote:

Where is your proof Antifa is an organization?

Proff that they have been organizing any of the violence?

What has this got to do with the point that FA organizations are trying to invite violence?

Being anti fascists in and of itself doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.
If you want to join Antifa, their Facebook page is a good place to start: https://www.facebook.com/antifa.usa/
Welcome to my ignore list.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:42 pm

More important than decrying the behavior of individuals is ultimately what the local, state and federal governments should do...

As a resident very near Mpls, I'd like to see that corrupt police department taken apart like a failed lego project... and while I hate most of the destruction and looting, but hating something isn't a course of action but just an instinct. I love the peaceful protesting, and watching the 3rd Precinct burn was a thing of beauty.

I do agree the National Guard probably needed to be called in... mostly because they're extremely professional, unlike these terrible police departments. If anything, they're to keep the police at bay as much as the destructive wing of the protestors.

The riot police are committing terrible abuse against peaceful protesters around this country in droves. I hope every one of them is fired and arrested for whatever appropriate charges would be filed if a civilian did the same thing.

I generally disagree with bringing in the military, but, once again, think they'd remain far-more professional than these thuggish police forces.

And on a longer-term note, what's most important is reform of these police departments. They're a scourge on our country and should be shattered into a thousand pieces.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:06 pm

Cortopassi wrote:

I don't think most of us have any concept of living in neighborhoods like some of the ones where we are seeing the riots. Of going to shitty schools. Of being in fear of gangs. I cannot even imagine it.
My father grew up in a two room house with dirt floors in the rural south (at least this is what I was told - I've not seen it). Assuming that is in fact true, he was able to start there, yet got a college degree and was successful enough to put my brother an I through college so we could do the same (and now we're both financially secure in our own way at mid-life).

Sure, we had opportunity, but it's clear that my grandparents and my father worked to create opportunities for themselves and for us. They weren't born into it. It required work and effort to overcome the circumstances they started in.

Can I relate to the circumstances you describe above? No. But I suspect my father could in many ways, as could his parents, and rather than loot and riot and claim the rest of the world owed them fancy things (well, maybe there's a side of the story I haven't heard :) ) instead they took advantage of the opportunities in our country.

Do you not believe that's an option for folks today? From my perspective, there is plenty of opportunity out there for one to apply themselves and get ahead, work hard and be successful. In fact I'd posit it's easier today, as there are so many ways to succeed that don't require "working your way up the ranks", where one might theoretically encounter negative bias.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:24 pm

The problem is leftist social policies that led to the breakdown of the family especially among black people. Supposedly Democrats are the best friends of black people. In reality, it is a terribly dysfunctional co-dependent relationship. Democrats think they can solve social problems by throwing more money at them, but it doesn't work.

Don't expect improvement on a large scale any time soon. It's not going to happen.

Improvements on a small personal-level scale are always possible for those who will work hard and accept responsibility.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:25 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
I don't think most of us have any concept of living in neighborhoods like some of the ones where we are seeing the riots. Of going to shitty schools. Of being in fear of gangs. I cannot even imagine it. I would think the first thing any sane person would want to do is leave these areas. But I don't know and cannot understand their personal situations. So I can't pass judgement.
I don't get why it's universally assumed that the violence in these neighborhoods is a law of nature, like gravity. Sort of like the logic in the Yogi Berra quote: "Nobody goes there, it's too crowded." Poverty exists in many corners of the world, but the inclination to commit crimes in black communities is pretty unique.

I do feel sorry for kids growing up in that environment, but by the same token you have to sympathize with police who have to go into these neighborhoods every day and face the worst they have to offer. If the police presence is the problem, then maybe cordoning off the neighborhoods in question and stopping any attempt at law enforcement within their boundaries is the answer. Let them live how they want to live. Yes, that means teachers and store owners won't want to go there, but hey, the people in those neighborhoods don't like them either. My niece took a job as a teacher in training in New Orleans with the best of liberal intentions, and she was horribly abused by the kids and got zero support from her supervisors. She quit after a few months. Don't think she's quite so liberal now.