ZfSMrq8.jpg
ZfSMrq8.jpg (47.22 KiB) Viewed 4708 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: A good analysis of the rioting

Post by dualstow »

I like that guy. He’s the one kriegs posts sometimes.
The comments underneath are a little bit kill-the-Jews, aren’t they.
🍍
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

dualstow wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:06 pm
I just ignore those. I'd much rather deal with that than have someone "helping" by censoring whatever they don't like.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

A youtuber I watch (Garand Thumb) usually starts out his videos with some kind of humorous warning about how his comments section is an absolute dumpster fire.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:59 am
A youtuber I watch (Garand Thumb) usually starts out his videos with some kind of humorous warning about how his comments section is an absolute dumpster fire.
Most of them are.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

I saw a piece today where some woman politician in Canada said it's time to start issuing refugee visas to people from U.S.A.

Looking at the chart below I wonder who it is she is talking about issuing visas to...

As Biden said, we believe in truth over facts. If not you're a RACIST.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Saw a similar chart to the one ^ above ^ today.

Did Biden say it twice? He seems to say every sentence twice.
🍍
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:40 pm Saw a similar chart to the one ^ above ^ today.

You JUST noticed that??!!! He's been doing it consistently for at least three decades. Treating all his listeners as kindergarteners!

Just ONE of the supper annoying things about him!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:14 pm
dualstow wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:40 pm Saw a similar chart to the one ^ above ^ today.

You JUST noticed that??!!! He's been doing it consistently for at least three decades.
My bad. I forgot to contact you about it in 1990.
🍍
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:34 am
vnatale wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:14 pm

You JUST noticed that??!!! He's been doing it consistently for at least three decades.
My bad. I forgot to contact you about it in 1990.
It's really any year since. ANY time he opens his mouth.

But you are actually the first person aside from me who I have ever read / heard commented about it.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

I remember something about Biden plagiarizing a speech from a British politician in the 1980s. That was much more than a contemporaneous error and thus infinitely more serious. The speech contained a detailed account of the British politician's personal life history, and Biden repeated it word for word, substituting his own family member and himself for the main characters.

That event buried him as a presidential candidate at the time, deservedly.

Here's a reference to it:

https://news.sky.com/story/the-neil-kin ... d-11703552
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

WiseOne wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:30 pm I remember something about Biden plagiarizing a speech from a British politician in the 1980s. That was much more than a contemporaneous error and thus infinitely more serious. The speech contained a detailed account of the British politician's personal life history, and Biden repeated it word for word, substituting his own family member and himself for the main characters.

That event buried him as a presidential candidate at the time, deservedly.

Here's a reference to it:

https://news.sky.com/story/the-neil-kin ... d-11703552
He has repeated a version of that same falsehood much more recently (2008) when he claimed that his father was a coal miner. And he has lied many other times about his life experiences: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... r-happened
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:59 am A youtuber I watch (Garand Thumb) usually starts out his videos with some kind of humorous warning about how his comments section is an absolute dumpster fire.
dualstow wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:00 am Rioter finds AR-15 in a police vehicle

https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1 ... 23814?s=20
The guy who disarmed the rioter was on Garand Thumb a couple days ago 8) Apparently, that was the second rioter he disarmed that day.

A Marine, natch.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I did some cursory checking to see what the damage from the rioting was looking like. There didn't seem to be much out there, and a lot of it is weeks old, so either (in ascending order of likelihood ;D ) they're keeping that info close to the chest, Google is fucking with the search results, or reporters haven't been interested in finding out.
Keefe, Bruyette & Woods analyst Meyer Shields said Monday that his best guess is losses from the current riots will be “relatively modest.” Nevertheless, the losses will combine with losses related to COVID-19 claims and property damage from a predicted above-average hurricane season to amount to a “capital event” for some reinsurers. link
WRT the LA riots of 1992, which caused $1.42 billion in today's dollars:
“Economic activity in the areas affected didn’t return for at least 10 years,” Matheson said. At least not to previous levels. He said those riots cost almost $5 billion in economic activity measured in lost sales over 10 years. “If people don’t feel safe where their businesses are, then they don’t feel a need to rebuild.” link
The current, ongoing rioting is happening in multiple cities across numerous states, so it’s easy to see how losses could already be running into the billions of dollars.

Of course, this remains uncertain as no loss data is currently available, but there’s clearly potential for this to become a meaningful man-made loss for the re/insurance industry. link
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:31 pm
WRT the LA riots of 1992, which caused $1.42 billion in today's dollars:
I'm guessing WRT in this context is the first one listed below? And LA is Los Angeles, not Lower Alabama? ;D

Acronym Definition
WRT With Regard To
WRT With Respect To
WRT Wrought
WRT World Rally Team
WRT With Reference To
WRT Web Runtime (cell phone application)
WRT Water Remediation Technology (various locations)
WRT Whitewater Resource Toolkit
WRT Wireless Router
WRT Whitewater Rescue Technician
WRT Water Restoration Technician (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification)
WRT Westchester Reform Temple
WRT Walter Reade Theater
WRT Wireless Receiver/Transmitter
WRT Wallace Roberts & Todd
WRT Workforce Review Team (National Health Service body responsible for workforce planning in England)
WRT Waterfront Regeneration Trust (Canada)
WRT Wealth Replacement Trust
WRT Welcome Real Time (Aix-en-Provence, France)
WRT Web Reporting Tool (various organizations)
WRT Wilderness Rescue Team (Gray, ME)
WRT Workshop on Refactoring Tools
WRT Water Round Torpedo
WRT Wildlife Rehabilitation Today (magazine)
WRT Windowed Radon Transform
WRT World Roofing Technologies (South Africa)
WRT Writer's Round Table
WRT Warrior River Terminal Company
WRT World Robo Tournament (Robo Academy; Singapore)
WRT Wastewater Retention Tank
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

IMO polls this early before the election are for entertainment value only.

If you weren't paying detailed attention to the news and just picking up the headlines or hearing what others are saying how could you not think Trump is the worse disaster in American history? I could start to believe it myself unless I tuned into Fox News occasionally to get the other side of the story.

Eventually people will have to start taking a harder look at Biden to see if they really want this guy as president. Until that happens, I think all you're seeing is how effective the non-stop anti-Trump narrative is.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

pp4me wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:08 am IMO polls this early before the election are for entertainment value only.

If you weren't paying detailed attention to the news and just picking up the headlines or hearing what others are saying how could you not think Trump is the worse disaster in American history? I could start to believe it myself unless I tuned into Fox News occasionally to get the other side of the story.

Eventually people will have to start taking a harder look at Biden to see if they really want this guy as president. Until that happens, I think all you're seeing is how effective the non-stop anti-Trump narrative is.
I don't watch the news, I just check Trump's Twitter and listen to his press conferences. That's enough to convince me of his lack of leadership ability. Biden is about the worst candidate the Democrats could have chosen from the enormous field of contenders.....at this point though I'd vote for an overcooked piece of asparagus over Trump. Again, the great irony is that I actually agree with a lot of Trump's ideas and policies, I just think that he is so absolutely horrible at communicating them and is such a vile human being that he is doing more damage than good at the end of the day. For an example of the communication that is necessary regarding this topic i'd urge you to listen to Sam Harris's latest podcast on this topic of police brutality, race relations and rioting. Completely fact based and non incendiary...I'd be surprised if anyone here disagreed with his message...in fact I think Trump would agree with much of it...but it's the tone and nature of it's delivery that makes all the difference.

https://youtu.be/vmgxtcbc4iU
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

doodle wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 am
pp4me wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:08 am IMO polls this early before the election are for entertainment value only.

I don't watch the news, I just check Trump's Twitter and listen to his press conferences. That's enough to convince me of his lack of leadership ability. Biden is about the worst candidate the Democrats could have chosen from the enormous field of contenders.....at this point though I'd vote for an overcooked piece of asparagus over Trump. Again, the great irony is that I actually agree with a lot of Trump's ideas and policies, I just think that he is so absolutely horrible at communicating them and is such a vile human being that he is doing more damage than good at the end of the day. For an example of the communication that is necessary regarding this topic i'd urge you to listen to Sam Harris's latest podcast on this topic of police brutality, race relations and rioting. Completely fact based and non incendiary...I'd be surprised if anyone here disagreed with his message...in fact I think Trump would agree with much of it...but it's the tone and nature of it's delivery that makes all the difference.

https://youtu.be/vmgxtcbc4iU
I've actually been a fan of Sam Harris when he's talking about religion or science. Not so much politics.

Didn't have time to listen to that whole 2 hour podcast but I just happened to click on the part near the end where he was saying we should be genuinely worried about Trump's authoritarian impulses. To me, this is yet another case of leftist projection, doing exactly what they are accusing the right of.

Like just about every POTUS election this one is going to be a choice between the lesser of two evils.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

I personally admire the intellectual honesty of Sam Harris in so far as he seems to be a very ardent advocate for the truth. In this regard I have never seen him address an issue from the standpoint of having a personal agenda other than to have conversation based on facts, and when it strays from facts to philosophy to specifically highlight that the conversation has taken this turn. In addition Sam Harris is never one to shy away from difficult conversations that might generate a lot of criticism from the political left and in this specific podcast linked above he frequently highlights the incredible dangers of the politically "woke" left shutting down honest but difficult dialogue regarding the facts. It is this type of mature dialogue that this country needs in order to solve difficult issues. Trump in my view is simply the other side of the coin of the extreme left and equally as damaging to intelligent and honest discourse.

Sam Harris has been a vocal critic of Trump since before the election. I think the reasons behind his worries about Trump are well founded and shared by many other level headed individuals. I'm not really sure why so many American's have trouble seeing the authoritarian, fascist, xenophobic, hate mongering aspects of Trump as a true danger to our nations best interests. I guess people gather different impressions of individuals based on their particular life experiences. I am no fan of Biden and the political left is a grave concern to me. One of my favorite popular lecturers today is Jordan Peterson and so in no way way do I underestimate the dangers coming from the liberal side of the political spectrum. But I view Trump as a character who is literally capable of hurling the planet into another world war. I honestly group him into the same category of human as a Fidel Castro, Benito Mussolini, or Mao Zedong.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

doodle wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:33 am I personally admire the intellectual honesty of Sam Harris in so far as he seems to be a very ardent advocate for the truth. In this regard I have never seen him address an issue from the standpoint of having a personal agenda other than to have conversation based on facts, and when it strays from facts to philosophy to specifically highlight that the conversation has taken this turn. In addition Sam Harris is never one to shy away from difficult conversations that might generate a lot of criticism from the political left and in this specific podcast linked above he frequently highlights the incredible dangers of the politically "woke" left shutting down honest but difficult dialogue regarding the facts. It is this type of mature dialogue that this country needs in order to solve difficult issues. Trump in my view is simply the other side of the coin of the extreme left and equally as damaging to intelligent and honest discourse.

Sam Harris has been a vocal critic of Trump since before the election. I think the reasons behind his worries about Trump are well founded and shared by many other level headed individuals. I'm not really sure why so many American's have trouble seeing the authoritarian, fascist, xenophobic, hate mongering aspects of Trump as a true danger to our nations best interests. I guess people gather different impressions of individuals based on their particular life experiences. I am no fan of Biden and the political left is a grave concern to me. One of my favorite popular lecturers today is Jordan Peterson and so in no way way do I underestimate the dangers coming from the liberal side of the political spectrum. But I view Trump as a character who is literally capable of hurling the planet into another world war. I honestly group him into the same category of human as a Fidel Castro, Benito Mussolini, or Mao Zedong.
I think we're living on different planets. I haven't seen one single action that Trump has taken that appears authoritarian, fascist, xenophobic, or hate mongering. Could you provide an example?

Some people might say that building a wall to keep out Mexicans is xenophobic. I'd say it has an alternate explanation. He feels like we have enough people in the country right now, and we should try to take care of them before we take on more people to take care of.

One big difference between Trump and Castro, Mussolini, or Zedong is that the latter three were all motivated by strong political ideologies: Castro and Zedong by Communism and Mussolini by fascism. Trump isn't motivated by any such -ism, except maybe capitalism. The way I see it, he just wants to see America at work building things.

I looked up fascism, because my memory is never good enough to remember what these -isms are supposed to mean. One definition said that fascism includes the idea that government should dominate all spheres of political, social, economic, and cultural life. I just don't see that Trump has been attempting anything like that. Is he setting up youth groups to teach Trumpism to moldable minds?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

doodle wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:33 am I personally admire the intellectual honesty of Sam Harris in so far as he seems to be a very ardent advocate for the truth. In this regard I have never seen him address an issue from the standpoint of having a personal agenda other than to have conversation based on facts, and when it strays from facts to philosophy to specifically highlight that the conversation has taken this turn. In addition Sam Harris is never one to shy away from difficult conversations that might generate a lot of criticism from the political left and in this specific podcast linked above he frequently highlights the incredible dangers of the politically "woke" left shutting down honest but difficult dialogue regarding the facts. It is this type of mature dialogue that this country needs in order to solve difficult issues. Trump in my view is simply the other side of the coin of the extreme left and equally as damaging to intelligent and honest discourse.

I like Jordan Peterson too. I was really sorry to hear about his recent problem with addiction to a drug he was taking for his auto-immune condition. Hope he gets better soon.

Like I said though - lesser of two evils. We are seeing concrete evidence of authoritarianism on the left as we speak with Antifa egging on riots in the streets and people being "canceled" for expressing prohibited opinions. Biden seems to be fine with all of this. I'm hard pressed to find much of anything smacking of the same kind of authoritarianism on the right. If you don't mind my asking, what has Trump actually done, beyond tweeting, that would cause you to equate him with the worse dictators in history?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

pp4me wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:01 pm

I like Jordan Peterson too. I was really sorry to hear about his recent problem with addiction to a drug he was taking for his auto-immune condition. Hope he gets better soon.

Like I said though - lesser of two evils. We are seeing concrete evidence of authoritarianism on the left as we speak with Antifa egging on riots in the streets and people being "canceled" for expressing prohibited opinions. Biden seems to be fine with all of this. I'm hard pressed to find much of anything smacking of the same kind of authoritarianism on the right. If you don't mind my asking, what has Trump actually done, beyond tweeting, that would cause you to equate him with the worse dictators in history?
The actions of the extreme left are scary. Donald Trump is not helping matters in the regard that I believe he is increasing their rise. We need moderation, he is not moderate in any regard. Fighting fire with fire is going to leave everyone burned.

Trump is constrained by a system that doesn't allow him to act on his desires. If given free reign, I have no doubts that dissenters would dissapear, that critical media outlets would be shut down, that freedoms would be curtailed. Donald Trump is a quintessential example of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, look how outraged and bent out of shape he gets when anyone confronts him or calls out his bullshit. That is insane behavior for a man in his position and is indicative of some sort of mental disorder. Think of great leaders like Marcus Aurelius and then compare him to Trump...he is a lunatic.

As far as the hate mongering he is a bully. He calls people losers, lame, clowns, and insults their physical attributes. His attack on John McCain as well regarding his capture during Vietnam war was tasteless at best given Trump's lack of any service to any cause other than his own. While that might be ok for reality TV, it is not becoming of a president. I don't want a president who behaves like he is a WWF wrestler.

Authoritarianism...because of his narcisstic personality disorder Trump doesn't deal with dissenting opinions very well. He frequently calls for people's arrest, or makes false accusations of them. He attacks whistleblowers or anyone investigating his actions...if not constrained by our system I have no doubts he would behave like any other strongman dictator.

Fascism in the sense that it is a far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, as well as strong regimentation of society and of the economy. I definitely see these characteristics and beliefs emanating from his actions and speech.

Xenophobia....a compilation of derogatory or incendiary quotes about foreign countries, religions, cultures....is he so dumb as to come out and say....Muslims are all terrorist camel jockeys that should be bombed out of existence...no. But are there hundreds of tweets that dance around that border with regards to comments about shit hole countries, or Mexican rapists and murderers, or go back to where you came from....the problem is in the completely ignorant way that he addresses these topics...like he is a guest on the Jerry Springer show. Again, Sam Harris in his podcast highlighted the uncomfortable crime statistics and discussed the intricacies of them in a sensitive manner. Delivery and tact matter when conveying information on sensitive subjects..Trump is completely inept in this regard and yes it is unnaccptable for a president to be an Inept communicator. So is Trump a racist xenophobe....possibly...but his tweets certainly don't create a platform from which friendly dialogue and relations among cultures and races can emerge...they are combative and incendiary and stoke fires among peoples.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

I don't see one actual specific concrete action that Trump has made in your entire post, just his words. The guy likes to talk. He likes the sound of his own voice. Just like all other politicians. That doesn't make him Hitler. You do too much mind reading.