Abolishing police

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Abolishing police

Post by technovelist » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:01 pm

Has the left really thought about what this would mean?

Here are just a few of the consequences.

No drug arrests: I'm sure they're on board with that (as am I).
No speed traps: Sure, no problem for them (or for me).
No gun control: Uh-oh, I don't think they've considered that.
Many, many private security companies who would be charged with protecting property but would have no immunity for wrongful actions.

As an anarcho-capitalist, I've thought about this possibility a lot more than have most people.

When people talk about the "Wild West", they don't realize that the murder rate in the Old West was far lower than in any modern inner city. Yes, we hear about robberies, murders, and so on. But they were notable because they were very rare.
Most of the population was armed. That has an enormous deterrent effect on criminals.

See https://extranosalley.com/homicide-rate ... -old-west/ for one of many articles about this topic.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Abolishing police

Post by vnatale » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:13 pm

technovelist wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:01 pm

Many, many private security companies who would be charged with protecting property but would have no immunity for wrongful actions.

As an anarcho-capitalist, I've thought about this possibility a lot more than have most people.

When people talk about the "Wild West", they don't realize that the murder rate in the Old West was far lower than in any modern inner city. Yes, we hear about robberies, murders, and so on. But they were notable because they were very rare.
Most of the population was armed. That has an enormous deterrent effect on criminals.

See https://extranosalley.com/homicide-rate ... -old-west/ for one of many articles about this topic.
Would be interested in your response to this. He is decidedly pro-police and anti-politician.

Vinny

https://www.c-span.org/video/?472699-4/ ... olicing-us

June 5, 2020 | Part Of Washington Journal 06/05/2020
Eugene O'Donnell on Policing in the U.S.
John Jay College of Criminal Justice lecturer and former NYPD officer Eugene O’Donnell talked about policing in the U.S. following George Floyd’s killing and the ensuing protests.
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:21 pm

technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:30 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:13 pm
technovelist wrote:

Would be interested in your response to this. He is decidedly pro-police and anti-politician.

Vinny

John Jay College of Criminal Justice lecturer and former NYPD officer Eugene O’Donnell talked about policing in the U.S. following George Floyd’s killing and the ensuing protests.
I don't generally pay for political content. Do you have a summary?
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:34 pm

Interesting but very archaic. Today it could be done much more efficiently and cost-effectively.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:39 pm

technovelist wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:30 pm
vnatale wrote:
technovelist wrote:

Vinny

I am a terrible summarizer. Did you try to see it and it asked you for payment? I just tried it in Firefox, which I'd never prior used for anything regarding C-Span, and it just started playing without asking for any form of payment.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:52 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:39 pm
technovelist wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:30 pm
vnatale wrote:
technovelist wrote:

Vinny

I am a terrible summarizer. Did you try to see it and it asked you for payment? I just tried it in Firefox, which I'd never prior used for anything regarding C-Span, and it just started playing without asking for any form of payment.

Vinny
It wouldn't play. It gave the option of buying a view either in mp3 or another format, I forget which.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:53 am

technovelist wrote:

How about arrests in general, or do we just shoot first.
Seems it would take a little time and make a more courteous population when we all carry a weapon.
I do not see many riots in that future.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:28 am

shekels wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:53 am
technovelist wrote:

How about arrests in general, or do we just shoot first.
Seems it would take a little time and make a more courteous population when we all carry a weapon.
I do not see many riots in that future.
Fortunately this has been discussed in great detail in science fiction as well as some more expository works.
I'll start a new thread on this topic. Maybe we could run a book club on this topic?
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:42 pm

:o ???

Chicago mayor denounces vigilantism

Okay, so the cops won't protect your business/property, but you can't do it yourself either?
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:35 pm

pugchief wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:42 pm
:o ???

Chicago mayor denounces vigilantism

Okay, so the cops won't protect your business/property, but you can't do it yourself either?
Obviously not. That would be racist!

But if there are no police, how would vigilante patrols be prevented? Hmm...
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:34 am

That wild west stuff is a myth. Do a little more research on it. Towns generally had strict ordinances against guns.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor ... 80968013/