Abolishing police

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Abolishing police

Post by drumminj »

Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:28 am I expect a much lower crime rate with no police.

Why? Short answer in two phases:
1. Short run: Lots of armed citizens. (Note that armed citizens have a much lower rate of incorrect use of force than police, because they don't have "qualified immunity" to protect them, although in anarchism that wouldn't apply directly.)
2. Longer run: Multiple private security agencies that will provide whatever security services people are willing to pay for.

Longer answer:
Read Chapter 12 of this book: https://cdn.mises.org/For%20a%20New%20L ... esto_3.pdf
I'm curious about the impact of "lack of qualified immunity", specifically since no one's there to arrest you for mis-use of force. If there aren't any repercussions for shooting anyone you feel like it (other than them possibly shooting back), I suspect we're in for a very messy transition period.

Am I missing something?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Abolishing police

Post by Libertarian666 »

drumminj wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:49 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:28 am I expect a much lower crime rate with no police.

Why? Short answer in two phases:
1. Short run: Lots of armed citizens. (Note that armed citizens have a much lower rate of incorrect use of force than police, because they don't have "qualified immunity" to protect them, although in anarchism that wouldn't apply directly.)
2. Longer run: Multiple private security agencies that will provide whatever security services people are willing to pay for.

Longer answer:
Read Chapter 12 of this book: https://cdn.mises.org/For%20a%20New%20L ... esto_3.pdf
I'm curious about the impact of "lack of qualified immunity", specifically since no one's there to arrest you for mis-use of force. If there aren't any repercussions for shooting anyone you feel like it (other than them possibly shooting back), I suspect we're in for a very messy transition period.

Am I missing something?
Have you read that chapter? It's 34 pages and answers that question as well as many others on this topic.
Of course I'll be happy to add my 2 cents if you don't find the answer(s) satisfying.