Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:49 pm

Let the riotous celebration commence!
https://www.westernjournal.com/de-blasi ... nding-nypd
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: DeBlasio caves to mob, starts defunding police

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:03 pm

That reminds me of Jacob Frey's recent experience at the rally in Minneapolis... imagine the socially traumatic experience of having an entire crowd booing you and flipping the bird at you like that.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politi ... rally.html
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:06 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:03 pm
That reminds me of Jacob Frey's recent experience at the rally in Minneapolis... imagine the socially traumatic experience of having an entire crowd booing you and flipping the bird at you like that.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politi ... rally.html
I came here to post exactly that. He had been dancing with protestors earlier, totally pandering to them. In one twitter thread, one of the comments under it read “the Left always eats its own.”
Simonjester wrote: GYROSCOPIC BEE (all the news that's fit to satirize) Headline 06/07/20

Massive Rush On Department Of Records As Thousands Apply to Have Name Changed to Snake Plisken
in wake of Dill Deblazios de-funding of police department
O0 perfect
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:14 pm

So, I lost my license and I couldn't drive for 5 months. During that time I was hoping for some world event that would stop me from needing my vehicle. My wish was granted via lockdowns.

I wished that some world event would happen so I'd be reimbursed all the money I had to spend on tickets and that lawyer. My wish was granted via federal and provincial economic relief benefits.

In my most bitter moments I wished that I could somehow "get back" at the police for ticketing me. Now there are massive riots and major political pressure on the police.

I'm starting to feel like I have some kind of magic powers or something. O_O
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:25 pm

Oh Smith, thanks for making me laugh tonight! ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:42 pm

Will the homicide rate in New York triple, or merely double?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:10 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:42 pm
If they actually fire all the police, the crime rate will nosedive.
No police = no drug enforcement (good), no traffic enforcement (mixed, mostly good), no gun control enforcement (wonderful).

The citizenry will arm themselves and take care of criminals very quickly.

The best comment I've seen on this topic was (quoting from memory but very close)
"The rioters think the police are there to protect us from them. They are actually there to protect them from us."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:20 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:25 pm
Oh Smith, thanks for making me laugh tonight! ;D
It's all about the power of BELIEF. ::) ;D O0

By the way, guys, I found a great video of protestors taking on the corrupt police outside of some city.

https://youtu.be/8Tgi-j56ueU
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:12 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:10 pm
dualstow wrote:
No police = no drug enforcement (good), no traffic enforcement (mixed, mostly good), no gun control enforcement (wonderful).

The best comment I've seen on this topic was (quoting from memory but very close)
"The rioters think the police are there to protect us from them. They are actually there to protect them from us."
I completely agree. As you guys are wont to say, look at all those big blue cities with their terrible crime problems. Well THIS defunding is certainly something no mayor has ever considered trying!

I finally found a sentence to use wont...
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:45 am

Oh my god....start off Monday morning with a minor heart attack, shall we?

Back to the 1980s we go...yes, I am indeed thinking that getting out is now a matter of when not if. For the others who live in NYC....mathjak, bedraggled, what do you think about that?

In the 1980s, I remember that the area around the Port Authority bus terminal was knee deep in trash, Bryant Park was a place dominated by drug dealers and strewn with used needles, going into Central Park after dark was an invitation to be mugged or murdered, driving in from NJ meant you were immediately greeted by the squeegee guys who might kill you if you didn't give them money for wiping your windshield, and pamphlets advertising prostitution services were handed out freely in front of Grand Central Station. Coop apartments were being sold for $1. The city survived on the unpopular commuter tax, where anyone working in NY but living outside the city still had to pay city resident tax. That's long gone, but eventually just watch, they'll bring it back.

I imagine that if you carried a gun and used it to defend yourself, the city would have no problem prosecuting you for the illegal carry - since it's impossible for an ordinary person to get a carry permit in NYC.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:16 am

WiseOne, et al,

Greetings from Florida. We sold Manhattan and moved October, 2016. We do like visiting the kids in New York City and its environs but travel is difficult. This isn't a revelation, is it?

I can recommend Florida. Tech likes Texas. If you New Yorkers have health insurance considerations, many providers work with my insurance, if not accepting in full. Not sure if that can be found in TX. DW, the family insurance person, said Florida/ health insurance works for now. But to live in the same state as Xan, Ocho, Medium Tex, Tech, and others...!

We have a Cleveland Clinic hospital a THREE minute drive away.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:20 am

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:45 am

Back to the 1980s we go...yes, I am indeed thinking that getting out is now a matter of when not if. For the others who live in NYC....mathjak, bedraggled, what do you think about that?

In the 1980s, I remember that the area around the Port Authority bus terminal was knee deep in trash, Bryant Park was a place dominated by drug dealers and strewn with used needles, going into Central Park after dark was an invitation to be mugged or murdered, driving in from NJ meant you were immediately greeted by the squeegee guys who might kill you if you didn't give them money for wiping your windshield, and pamphlets advertising prostitution services were handed out freely in front of Grand Central Station. Coop apartments were being sold for $1. The city survived on the unpopular commuter tax, where anyone working in NY but living outside the city still had to pay city resident tax. That's long gone, but eventually just watch, they'll bring it back.

I imagine that if you carried a gun and used it to defend yourself, the city would have no problem prosecuting you for the illegal carry - since it's impossible for an ordinary person to get a carry permit in NYC.
Cool. It really will be Escape from New York!
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:31 am

It's not just NYC, it's many cities.

did you see the headlines about how Minneapolis is about to disband its police force completely? Veto-proof council majority can override the mayor.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:22 am

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:45 am

Not if there are no police. >:D
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:23 am

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:31 am
It's not just NYC, it's many cities.

did you see the headlines about how Minneapolis is about to disband its police force completely? Veto-proof council majority can override the mayor.
It's pretty much all cities. As far as I can tell, they are all run by insane Democrats.
We live in the country, but a small town is probably safe too.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:52 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Well, I guess they could arm themselves illegally, or with kitchen knives or something.
Bernhard Goetz* applied legally and was turned down, so he brought in the gun from another state.
I'd like to think it's gotten better since then. I've got a friend with a NY permit, but he moved to Nevada so he's probably not up to date.
Maybe mathjak remembers.

Or are you optimistic that NYC is going to loosen its gun ownership laws sometime soon?

*I am not advocating shooting people on the subway. I think he paid $2000 to be turned down, in the late 70's or early 80's
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:46 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:52 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Well, I guess they could arm themselves illegally, or with kitchen knives or something.
Bernhard Goetz* applied legally and was turned down, so he brought in the gun from another state.
I'd like to think it's gotten better since then. I've got a friend with a NY permit, but he moved to Nevada so he's probably not up to date.
Maybe mathjak remembers.

Or are you optimistic that NYC is going to loosen its gun ownership laws sometime soon?

*I am not advocating shooting people on the subway. I think he paid $2000 to be turned down, in the late 70's or early 80's
If they abolish the police, who would enforce victim disarmament?
This is why I say that the leftists haven't thought this through.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:05 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:46 pm
dualstow wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:52 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Maybe mathjak remembers.

If they abolish the police, who would enforce victim disarmament?
This is why I say that the leftists haven't thought this through.
That's a fair point. It would still be a federal crime to transport weapons from another state, but once they get them in, they're in. And, I suppose their local gun shops could look the other way and sell them the firearms. I'm just thinking along the lines of, most of them are already unarmed. They're starting from zero.

Note to self: buy stock in Ruger.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:27 pm

Getting guns into NYC might be problematic, but a stun gun or taser would be a lot easier. Those are no longer illegal in the city, though you can't order them over the internet. Similar to pepper spray.

Honestly though, if it came down to a situation where I felt like I had to carry a gun to preserve my safety, I would just move. Tech, your theory depends on literally millions of people in this city defying federal and state gun laws to acquire an illegal firearm. I can't see that happening.

I would be interested in finding out what cities/locations are defunding their police - so we can put them on our "DO NOT MOVE HERE" list. So far, I'm aware of NYC, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, and Portland Oregon.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:55 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:27 pm
Getting guns into NYC might be problematic, but a stun gun or taser would be a lot easier. Those are no longer illegal in the city, though you can't order them over the internet. Similar to pepper spray.

Honestly though, if it came down to a situation where I felt like I had to carry a gun to preserve my safety, I would just move. Tech, your theory depends on literally millions of people in this city defying federal and state gun laws to acquire an illegal firearm. I can't see that happening.
"Under federal law, a person must be 18 years old to purchase a long gun, which is a shotgun or a rifle, and 21 years old to purchase a handgun. In New York state, excluding New York City, a license is required to purchase a handgun, which is a pistol or a revolver, but a license is not needed for purchasing a shotgun or a rifle. The person also must be “of good character,” according to New York State Penal Law.

"In order to be eligible for a firearms license in New York, a person needs to be 21 years old, a resident of the state and have no prior felony or serious offense convictions.

"A license is required to possess a handgun in New York City, and a permit is needed for a shotgun or a rifle. Permits and licenses are dispensed by the NYPD License Division. In order to travel to New York City from elsewhere in the state and carry a firearm, a person needs an additional license granted by the New York City police commissioner."

(https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles ... tions.html)

So you can buy a rifle or shotgun anywhere in NYS without a license, and a handgun with a license. Certainly there is no federal law prohibiting you from taking it into the city. If you transport it into the city and there are no police to stop you, I don't see the problem.

And if you think people who don't think they can leave aren't going to set up their own protective societies, you're wrong. People in Minneapolis are ALREADY forming neighborhood defense groups due to the absence of police protection, before the city council has even acted:

"Her group — Security Latinos De La Lake — is one of many neighborhood watch groups sprouting up across the Twin Cities and in other parts of the country "
https://www.npr.org/2020/06/03/86846416 ... protection

I'm surprised NPR couldn't find a white group so they could spin this as "white supremacy".

Oops, I spoke too soon. They were able to work "white supremacy" into the narrative:

"Just before curfew, the local supermarket manager Mauro Madrigal briefs a group of residents and business owners in the parking lot behind the store. He focuses on safety practices: Move dumpsters that could be set on fire away from buildings, have sand and dirt ready to smother flames, and only share threats you see, not rumors you hear. He passes out a flyer in Spanish and English to the multiracial group.

"Our neighborhood is under threat from white supremacists coming into Minneapolis," it says. "
WiseOne wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:27 pm
I would be interested in finding out what cities/locations are defunding their police - so we can put them on our "DO NOT MOVE HERE" list. So far, I'm aware of NYC, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, and Portland Oregon.
You can add any city with a D mayor to the list. They will all do it to avoid being called RACIST!
And that's pretty much any big city.
We have lots of room here in rural Texas, and no problem with gun ownership.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:39 pm

Minority communities have had their own “private protection services” for decades already: They’re called gangs. >:D

I guess the effectiveness of a private protection service depends heavily on how ethical or corrupt its members are.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:46 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:39 pm
Minority communities have had their own “private protection services” for decades already: They’re called gangs. >:D

I guess the effectiveness of a private protection service depends heavily on how ethical or corrupt its members are.
Here's the thing. Where there are police who are (selectively) enforcing drug and gun possession laws, then the only "protective services" that can exist along with the police are the ones who bribe the police. Since this is illegal, by definition these "service providers" are criminal gangs, who cannot make use of peaceful dispute resolution methods.

If there are no police, the situation is much different because bribing the police is no longer an issue. Then honest protective services can out-compete the criminally-run ones, making a market for peaceful voluntary arbitration services.

Read chapter 12 of "For a New Liberty": https://cdn.mises.org/For%20a%20New%20L ... esto_3.pdf.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:00 pm

These ivory tower, pie in the sky ideas sound nice, but I have a feeling that WiseOne's predictions will be more accurate.

Honest, hard-working, civilized people and businesses will flee these cities, meaning that lots of jobs will be lost.

As usual, these liberal ideas that were supposed to help oppressed minorities will end up hurting the very people that they were supposed to help.

You can't help people by giving them handouts. It doesn't work. You just create charity cases. They have to pick themselves up by their bootstraps. It's really the only way that works. But it ain't gonna work without law and order.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:07 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:00 pm
These ivory tower, pie in the sky ideas sound nice, but I have a feeling that WiseOne's predictions will be more accurate.

Honest, hard-working, civilized people and businesses will flee these cities, meaning that lots of jobs will be lost.

As usual, these liberal ideas that were supposed to help oppressed minorities will end up hurting the very people that they were supposed to help.

You can't help people by giving them handouts. It doesn't work. You just create charity cases. They have to pick themselves up by their bootstraps. It's really the only way that works. But it ain't gonna work without law and order.
Law and order are necessary, but they don't have to be provided by government.
There's a reason that crime rates in the Old West were a lot lower than they are in modern Democrat-run cities.
Namely, government is just as bad at providing security as they are at everything else they do.

Yes, if the police are actually abolished there is a possibility of a painful transition with a likelihood of many lives being needlessly lost. And it's also certainly possible that a lot of people will flee. But it's actually not that hard to set up neighborhood defense societies, and they will put a stop to crime almost immediately.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:19 pm

Yes, I would definitely expect a painful transition. Then, I would expect voluntary segregation. Kind of like Jerusalem divided into several portions, and people just stay in their same portion their whole life, if I understand things correctly.

I think the Old West was a lot different. Most people came from a similar cultural background. Plus there was plenty of land available for people to spread out on.