Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by stuper1 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pm

You can have smart people and dumb people from every race, so nothing that can be said would apply to any one individual. It certainly seems possible to me that the average IQs of different races could vary. But then again it may not be the case. It seems a very hard thing to measure in an unbiased manner. I'm not sure what we would do with that information anyway in terms of setting social policies. To me, we have what we have, and we need to do the best with it, and set social policies to encourage every person to do the best with what they've got.

Regarding helping disadvantaged people, everybody always says that we need to fix the education system. Of course, that doesn't work if the family structure is broken. We can keep pouring boatloads of money into education, but if there aren't parents at home to encourage the kids, then it will make little to no difference. The policies that should be adopted are ones designed to strengthen the family, but I'm not holding my breath expecting that to happen, because those policies are not politically useful.
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4479
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by sophie » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:04 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pm
Regarding helping disadvantaged people, everybody always says that we need to fix the education system. Of course, that doesn't work if the family structure is broken. We can keep pouring boatloads of money into education, but if there aren't parents at home to encourage the kids, then it will make little to no difference. The policies that should be adopted are ones designed to strengthen the family, but I'm not holding my breath expecting that to happen, because those policies are not politically useful.
+1.

Remember the thread about how teachers in many inner city schools are forbidden to do anything to stop the violence & all out war that goes on in classrooms? because of race relation reasons?

Perhaps some community effort involving extended family counseling might help, but what it will require first and foremost is black leaders speaking up about the problem. I was hopeful that President Obama would do this, after he got off to a great start by admonishing inner city kids for dressing like clowns, with their pants down and underwear showing, and to "be respectful". Unfortunately, that was his last effort in that direction. I guess he must have got complaints for it.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by stuper1 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Limiting immigration and bringing back manufacturing jobs would go a long way toward helping working class people to be able to be responsible family members.
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3469
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by Xan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:29 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pm
Regarding helping disadvantaged people, everybody always says that we need to fix the education system. Of course, that doesn't work if the family structure is broken. We can keep pouring boatloads of money into education, but if there aren't parents at home to encourage the kids, then it will make little to no difference. The policies that should be adopted are ones designed to strengthen the family, but I'm not holding my breath expecting that to happen, because those policies are not politically useful.
Stossel's "Stupid in America" special (which is fantastic, by the way) pretty well illustrates that the problem with education is not lack of money. He followed a number of small schools (I think they were charter schools) operating on an absolute shoestring which were achieving better outcomes in every way than the crummy public school which spent many times the amount of money per student. I remember one of them that couldn't afford a full-time janitor, and so the kids were responsible for cleaning up the cafeteria, setting up chairs, and a number of other things. These tasks helped the kids to have some skin in the game in their school.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11782
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:38 pm

sophie wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:14 am
#shutdownSTEM

A one-day "strike" by researchers in STEM fields. Even prestigious journals have gotten into the act:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586- ... f%20racism.

This has seriously gone too far. How can you be a scientist and not understand how bogus the complaints are? I found out about it when a research group meeting was cancelled today because of it. I decided to honor the day by listening to a Candace Owens youtube video. Now back to work with me!
👍 (thumbs up to the Candace Owens watching, not the canceling).
traveling...
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by Tortoise » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:54 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:09 pm
Limiting immigration and bringing back manufacturing jobs would go a long way toward helping working class people to be able to be responsible family members.
Two other huge contributors to the destruction of working-class families:
  1. The welfare state, which allows and encourages mothers to have kids without a husband/father to help support them
  2. Marriage laws, which are now heavily biased in favor of women, thus strongly discouraging men from getting married
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by stuper1 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:24 pm

I would venture to say that just through bad luck a lot of these non-racist negative factors started showing up at just about the time when the last of the true systemic racism was being eliminated. This has made it difficult to disentangle the causes of negative outcomes. So, we'll continue to throw money down the drain for stupid big-government social programs that not only don't help, but actually make things worse, rather than dealing with the real problems.
User avatar
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 905
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by pp4me » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:52 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pm
Regarding helping disadvantaged people, everybody always says that we need to fix the education system. Of course, that doesn't work if the family structure is broken.
I think It also doesn't work if you start by assuming that every one is equal in terms of IQ, or at least an IQ that we have correlated with success in life. because it simply isn't true, racial disparities notwithstanding. It just sets some people up for failure which they will have to deal with for the rest of their lives whether they be black, white or any other race.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5994
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:54 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:09 pm
Limiting immigration and bringing back manufacturing jobs would go a long way toward helping working class people to be able to be responsible family members.
Two other huge contributors to the destruction of working-class families:
  1. The welfare state, which allows and encourages mothers to have kids without a husband/father to help support them
  2. Marriage laws, which are now heavily biased in favor of women, thus strongly discouraging men from getting married
Right. The "War on Poverty", the "War on Drugs", and the "War on Men" have all contributed mightily.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by stuper1 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:23 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:52 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pm
Regarding helping disadvantaged people, everybody always says that we need to fix the education system. Of course, that doesn't work if the family structure is broken.
I think It also doesn't work if you start by assuming that every one is equal in terms of IQ, or at least an IQ that we have correlated with success in life. because it simply isn't true, racial disparities notwithstanding. It just sets some people up for failure which they will have to deal with for the rest of their lives whether they be black, white or any other race.
When my kid started high school, I was very thankful that an acquaintance told me to sign her up for all of the Honors and AP classes that are available. Anyone can sign up for them, but in practice only the motivated students do so, or the students like my daughter who are told they have to by their parents. Apparently, the non-Honors/AP classes can be a disaster because of all the troublemakers. I truly am not sure that we would have learned about this system unless the acquaintance had told me, because the school system is so disorganized that even things that are very important are hardly communicated. I talked to other parents who didn't even know they had a choice about which level of classes to pick. It's basically a self-segregated system. Frankly I'm surprised that it has been allowed to survive. Maybe it survives because they do such a poor job of communicating about it. Maybe that's on purpose. I don't know.
User avatar
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 905
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by pp4me » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:24 pm

I can't find the link but I read an article the other day about how racism has become the new religion in America. The photo I posted at the start of this thread with Dems kneeling in congress under the leadership of Nancy Pelosi just confirms what that article was saying.

And then there was the recent case of Drew Brees, the quarterback of the New Orleans Saints who had to apologize for his statement about not disrespecting the American flag by kneeling in protest. He has since offered a "sincere" apology for this and his wife even offered a more sincere one with tears in her eyes for the extreme "pain" that she and her husband had caused.

Another black NFL player said his apology was NOT accepted. He needs to do more.

In other words, we white people must admit we are sinners simply by the fact of being born white and there is no hope for redemption unless we accept the orthodoxy of the new religion.

Personally, I DO think Drew Brees was sincere in his apology because he has announced that this is his last year in the NFL and he doesn't want to be looking across the line of scrimmage at black players intent on ending his career even earlier than he was hoping. His wife probably has similar hopes.

Now I have to wait and see how Tom Brady in Tampa deals with the situation because his is similar in the last few years of his career. Is he going to kneel in unison with the rest of the team on opening day which might well happen or show true leadership and say "F**k it, let's play some football guys"? I always liked Drew Brees and why would you not, because he's a sincere Christian who has done a lot of good for the city of New Orleans during recent times of distress. But now I hope Tom Brady creams his ass.
Last edited by pp4me on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5994
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:32 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pm
You can have smart people and dumb people from every race, so nothing that can be said would apply to any one individual. It certainly seems possible to me that the average IQs of different races could vary. But then again it may not be the case. It seems a very hard thing to measure in an unbiased manner.
If you don't accept IQ measurements as valid, then you have to throw out all the other quantitative results of psychology too. IQ is by far the best validated psychological measurement.

And no one in psychology actually doubts that there are significant IQ differences between races. They just don't want to talk about it because it is politically incorrect.

There's a reason that about 20% of all Nobel Prizes, even including the non-science prizes that represent political posturing rather than merit, have been awarded to less than 0.2% of the world population. Even the extremely PC Wikipedia acknowledges this: "Nobel Prizes have been awarded to over 900 individuals,[1] of whom at least 20% were Jews although the Jewish population comprises less than 0.2% of the world's population." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_J ... _laureates.

I'm pretty sure the over-representation is even more complete in the actual science prizes.
stuper1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pm
I'm not sure what we would do with that information anyway in terms of setting social policies. To me, we have what we have, and we need to do the best with it, and set social policies to encourage every person to do the best with what they've got.

Regarding helping disadvantaged people, everybody always says that we need to fix the education system. Of course, that doesn't work if the family structure is broken. We can keep pouring boatloads of money into education, but if there aren't parents at home to encourage the kids, then it will make little to no difference. The policies that should be adopted are ones designed to strengthen the family, but I'm not holding my breath expecting that to happen, because those policies are not politically useful.
Exactly.
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:15 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:32 pm
If you don't accept IQ measurements as valid, then you have to throw out all the other quantitative results of psychology too. IQ is by far the best validated psychological measurement.

And no one in psychology actually doubts that there are significant IQ differences between races. They just don't want to talk about it because it is politically incorrect.

There's a reason that about 20% of all Nobel Prizes, even including the non-science prizes that represent political posturing rather than merit, have been awarded to less than 0.2% of the world population. Even the extremely PC Wikipedia acknowledges this: "Nobel Prizes have been awarded to over 900 individuals,[1] of whom at least 20% were Jews although the Jewish population comprises less than 0.2% of the world's population." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_J ... _laureates.

I'm pretty sure the over-representation is even more complete in the actual science prizes.
stuper1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pm
I'm not sure what we would do with that information anyway in terms of setting social policies. To me, we have what we have, and we need to do the best with it, and set social policies to encourage every person to do the best with what they've got.

Regarding helping disadvantaged people, everybody always says that we need to fix the education system. Of course, that doesn't work if the family structure is broken. We can keep pouring boatloads of money into education, but if there aren't parents at home to encourage the kids, then it will make little to no difference. The policies that should be adopted are ones designed to strengthen the family, but I'm not holding my breath expecting that to happen, because those policies are not politically useful.
Exactly.
IQ is interesting. It is a valuable number. For a lot of different reasons. It is also a heavily abused statistic by folks who don't understand math.

First of all, anyone with an IQ 2 standard deviations below the norm will NOT amount to anything in the modern Western world. (about 70). But in Papua New Guinea, many a top tracker and hunter fall in that category.

And in contrast, 2 standard deviations above the norm (about 130) are no guarantee of success in the Western World. Have you ever been to a Mensa meeting? Ouch. A lot of losers there.

So, some takeaways. If you live in the US and you come from a low IQ race or culture, you are pretty much screwed unless you are way off of the curve. Conversely, a high IQ doesn't guarantee you anything. You might do okay, but we don't know why.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11782
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:25 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:24 pm
I can't find the link but I read an article the other day about how racism has become the new religion in America.
If you mean antiracism, I’ve posted it plenty of times and am happy to post it again.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/antiracis ... w-religion

https://youtu.be/2RMEiclpA7E
traveling...
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5994
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:09 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:15 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:32 pm
If you don't accept IQ measurements as valid, then you have to throw out all the other quantitative results of psychology too. IQ is by far the best validated psychological measurement.

And no one in psychology actually doubts that there are significant IQ differences between races. They just don't want to talk about it because it is politically incorrect.

There's a reason that about 20% of all Nobel Prizes, even including the non-science prizes that represent political posturing rather than merit, have been awarded to less than 0.2% of the world population. Even the extremely PC Wikipedia acknowledges this: "Nobel Prizes have been awarded to over 900 individuals,[1] of whom at least 20% were Jews although the Jewish population comprises less than 0.2% of the world's population." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_J ... _laureates.

I'm pretty sure the over-representation is even more complete in the actual science prizes.
stuper1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pm
I'm not sure what we would do with that information anyway in terms of setting social policies. To me, we have what we have, and we need to do the best with it, and set social policies to encourage every person to do the best with what they've got.

Regarding helping disadvantaged people, everybody always says that we need to fix the education system. Of course, that doesn't work if the family structure is broken. We can keep pouring boatloads of money into education, but if there aren't parents at home to encourage the kids, then it will make little to no difference. The policies that should be adopted are ones designed to strengthen the family, but I'm not holding my breath expecting that to happen, because those policies are not politically useful.
Exactly.
IQ is interesting. It is a valuable number. For a lot of different reasons. It is also a heavily abused statistic by folks who don't understand math.

First of all, anyone with an IQ 2 standard deviations below the norm will NOT amount to anything in the modern Western world. (about 70). But in Papua New Guinea, many a top tracker and hunter fall in that category.

And in contrast, 2 standard deviations above the norm (about 130) are no guarantee of success in the Western World. Have you ever been to a Mensa meeting? Ouch. A lot of losers there.

So, some takeaways. If you live in the US and you come from a low IQ race or culture, you are pretty much screwed unless you are way off of the curve. Conversely, a high IQ doesn't guarantee you anything. You might do okay, but we don't know why.
Mensa meetings are indeed for losers, as I can testify from personal experience.

My explanation is that if you have an IQ in the top 2% and are otherwise at least average, you have a lot to do. Thus, the people who make up the majority of attendance at Mensa meetings are those with repellent personalities or are defective in other ways.

I also know quite a few people with high IQs who don't go to Mensa meetings but haven't been very successful overall (depending on your definition of success, of course). The majority of them are MBTI F types, who tend not to apply their intelligence to the real world very effectively.
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4479
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by sophie » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:13 pm

Nice side discussion, but the overall IQ averages for race A or ethnic group B aren't really helpful for fashioning policies anyway. There will be people across the spectrum in all groups, regardless. I know plenty of dumb white people and smart black people, for instance. And, of course, vice versa.

Agree with everything that stuper has said. Stopping the flow of illegal immigrants and moving manufacturing back here will do wonders for minority communities - and Trump's efforts so far had been paying off at least until the COVID business closures hit. Improving the schools will indeed require addressing the broken social structure in these communities, which is something government can't do.

Unfortunately there is no way that will happen until the black community takes a good hard look in the mirror and decides to do something about the problem, as opposed to blaming other people and long-ago history. It is interesting to note that the breakdown is quite recent...amazing that no one has realized this!
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by shekels » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:27 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:24 pm
I can't find the link but I read an article the other day about how racism has become the new religion in America. The photo I posted at the start of this thread with Dems kneeling in congress under the leadership of Nancy Pelosi just confirms what that article was saying.

And then there was the recent case of Drew Brees, the quarterback of the New Orleans Saints who had to apologize for his statement about not disrespecting the American flag by kneeling in protest. He has since offered a "sincere" apology for this and his wife even offered a more sincere one with tears in her eyes for the extreme "pain" that she and her husband had caused.

Another black NFL player said his apology was NOT accepted. He needs to do more.

In other words, we white people must admit we are sinners simply by the fact of being born white and there is no hope for redemption unless we accept the orthodoxy of the new religion.

Personally, I DO think Drew Brees was sincere in his apology because he has announced that this is his last year in the NFL and he doesn't want to be looking across the line of scrimmage at black players intent on ending his career even earlier than he was hoping. His wife probably has similar hopes.
As I read this post/ thread I was struck by a recollection of something that I learned as a Teenager.
It is a root issue with many people in society.
It is why apologies/reparations will never be enough.



“Harry’s letter to his daughter:



It’s Christmas and I have the usual problem of deciding what to give you. I know you might enjoy many things — books, games, clothes.

But I’m very selfish. I want to give you something that will stay with you for more than a few months or years. I want to give you a gift that might remind you of me every Christmas.

If I could give you just one thing, I’d want it to be a simple truth that took me many years to learn. If you learn it now, it may enrich your life in hundreds of ways. And it may prevent you from facing many problems that have hurt people who have never learned it.

The truth is simply this:

No one owes you anything.

Significance

How could such a simple statement be important? It may not seem so, but understanding it can bless your entire life.

No one owes you anything.

It means that no one else is living for you, my child. Because no one is you. Each person is living for himself; his own happiness is all he can ever personally feel.

When you realize that no one owes you happiness or anything else, you’ll be freed from expecting what isn’t likely to be.

It means no one has to love you. If someone loves you, it’s because there’s something special about you that gives him happiness. Find out what that something special is and try to make it stronger in you, so that you’ll be loved even more.

When people do things for you, it’s because they want to — because you, in some way, give them something meaningful that makes them want to please you, not because anyone owes you anything.

No one has to like you. If your friends want to be with you, it’s not out of duty. Find out what makes others happy so they’ll want to be near you.

No one has to respect you. Some people may even be unkind to you. But once you realize that people don’t have to be good to you, and may not be good to you, you’ll learn to avoid those who would harm you. For you don’t owe them anything either.

Living your Life

No one owes you anything.

You owe it to yourself to be the best person possible. Because if you are, others will want to be with you, want to provide you with the things you want in exchange for what you’re giving to them.

Some people will choose not to be with you for reasons that have nothing to do with you. When that happens, look elsewhere for the relationships you want. Don’t make someone else’s problem your problem.

Once you learn that you must earn the love and respect of others, you’ll never expect the impossible and you won’t be disappointed. Others don’t have to share their property with you, nor their feelings or thoughts.

If they do, it’s because you’ve earned these things. And you have every reason to be proud of the love you receive, your friends’ respect, the property you’ve earned. But don’t ever take them for granted. If you do, you could lose them. They’re not yours by right; you must always earn them.

My Experience

A great burden was lifted from my shoulders the day I realized that no one owes me anything. For so long as I’d thought there were things I was entitled to, I’d been wearing myself out — physically and emotionally — trying to collect them.

No one owes me moral conduct, respect, friendship, love, courtesy, or intelligence. And once I recognized that, all my relationships became far more satisfying. I’ve focused on being with people who want to do the things I want them to do.

That understanding has served me well with friends, business associates, lovers, sales prospects, and strangers. It constantly reminds me that I can get what I want only if I can enter the other person’s world. I must try to understand how he thinks, what he believes to be important, what he wants. Only then can I appeal to someone in ways that will bring me what I want.

And only then can I tell whether I really want to be involved with someone. And I can save the important relationships for those with whom I have the most in common.

It’s not easy to sum up in a few words what has taken me years to learn. But maybe if you re-read this gift each Christmas, the meaning will become a little clearer every year.

I hope so, for I want more than anything else for you to understand this simple truth that can set you free: no one owes you anything.

― Harry Browne
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by stuper1 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:57 pm

What would happen if Trump read that letter as his sole campaign speech and then dropped the mic at every rally between now and November?
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by shekels » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:07 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:57 pm
What would happen if Trump read that letter as his sole campaign speech and then dropped the mic at every rally between now and November?
My guess he would be called Racist,Homophobic, White Privileged etc. the usual. by the Left wing Press.
Haters gonna Hate..
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by stuper1 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:51 am

You know one fact that strongly shows that systemic racism in the US is a lie? Immigration. We have people of literally every race, creed, color, whatever, including from Africa, literally forcing themselves into our country by whatever means possible, whether legal or illegal. Would they really be doing that if we had systemic racism that wouldn't allow them a fair chance to achieve based on their own merit?
User avatar
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 905
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by pp4me » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:39 am

shekels wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:07 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:57 pm
What would happen if Trump read that letter as his sole campaign speech and then dropped the mic at every rally between now and November?
My guess he would be called Racist,Homophobic, White Privileged etc. the usual. by the Left wing Press.
Haters gonna Hate..
Their going to say that any way no matter what he does.
User avatar
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 905
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by pp4me » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:58 am

shekels wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:27 pm
I hope so, for I want more than anything else for you to understand this simple truth that can set you free: no one owes you anything.

― Harry Browne
My Dad used to tell me that all the time but I think it came in the form of "nobody owes you a living".

Unfortunately, a majority of Black Americans don't have Dads to tell them that which is probably a big part of the problem.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11782
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by dualstow » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:36 am

stuper1 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:51 am
You know one fact that strongly shows that systemic racism in the US is a lie? Immigration. We have people of literally every race, creed, color, whatever, including from Africa, literally forcing themselves into our country by whatever means possible, whether legal or illegal. Would they really be doing that if we had systemic racism that wouldn't allow them a fair chance to achieve based on their own merit?
It definitely suggests that we’re a better country than the one they’re leaving, and that whatever problems we have in the U.S., they’re not as severe nor as immediate as a gang member’s looming machete.
traveling...
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5994
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:45 am

stuper1 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:51 am
You know one fact that strongly shows that systemic racism in the US is a lie? Immigration. We have people of literally every race, creed, color, whatever, including from Africa, literally forcing themselves into our country by whatever means possible, whether legal or illegal. Would they really be doing that if we had systemic racism that wouldn't allow them a fair chance to achieve based on their own merit?
Yes, if they thought they were going to get to live in a first world society at the expense of the existing residents.
So the way we can find out whether we have systemic racism is to eliminate all subsidies for immigrants.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3691
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:35 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:45 am
stuper1 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:51 am
You know one fact that strongly shows that systemic racism in the US is a lie? Immigration. We have people of literally every race, creed, color, whatever, including from Africa, literally forcing themselves into our country by whatever means possible, whether legal or illegal. Would they really be doing that if we had systemic racism that wouldn't allow them a fair chance to achieve based on their own merit?
Yes, if they thought they were going to get to live in a first world society at the expense of the existing residents.
So the way we can find out whether we have systemic racism is to eliminate all subsidies for immigrants.
If the US really is such an unshakable magnet for immigrants, it's a no-brainer to have very high standards for them.

As such, the fact that we have things like the Diversity Immigrant Visa program is fucking retarded. Come at me bro, etc etc.
"You haven't, I suppose, ever mixed with politicians at close quarters. They're awful. I think some of these must have been the dregs anyhow, but I've discovered, what previously I didn't believe possible, that politicians behave in private life and say exactly the same things as they do in public. Their stupidity is inhuman.
- John Maynard Keynes
Post Reply