Moderator: Global Moderator

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GOP defending Confederate legacy?

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:56 pm
Xan wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:45 pm
Globally, wherever local people are attempting to throw off oppressive foreign governments, the Confederate flag has flown. It was at the fall of the Berlin Wall, for example.

But also to this day Neo-Nazi's in Germany use the Confederate flags because it most closely represents the ideology represented by the forever banned Nazi flag. That ideology being one race is superior to another.

Even in our country Nazi supporters link the Confederate flag to their cause.

Capture.JPG

Vinny
Mmmkay, but in that picture they're also (mis)using the Stars and Stripes. And the official flag of the KKK is the Stars and Stripes. Should we can that flag?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Going by memory (most recent readings) and no research...this is what I currently believe (subject to change by any countervailing facts and logic)..

1) Why the South fought the Civil War

100% Slavery

At the time cotton was one of the largest and most lucrative industries in the world. It only viable through the institution of slavery. At the time the country was still expanding and the South wanted the institution to continue to expand as the country expanded.

2) The statues

The vast majority of them were NOT erected close to 1865 when memories would have been fresh as to the exploits of those in the military. Instead, the vast majority of them were erected in the 1890's and 1920s.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:44 am Going by memory (most recent readings) and no research...this is what I currently believe (subject to change by any countervailing facts and logic)..

1) Why the South fought the Civil War

100% Slavery

At the time cotton was one of the largest and most lucrative industries in the world. It only viable through the institution of slavery. At the time the country was still expanding and the South wanted the institution to continue to expand as the country expanded.

Not Exactly...
When Abraham Lincoln was elected some Southern politicians called it an act of war

Reminds me of today the minute D.J.Trump was elected.

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_csa.asp
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

I think at the root of all of this is that many people don't want to live in a truly 'diverse' society.. I understand that. I know that a great deal of cultural diversity can create tension. But let's be scientific about this and discuss our honest beliefs about the functionality of the American melting pot rather than fighting these proxy wars over civil war statues and Confederate flags. I think a great many people on this forum probably would agree with Jared Taylor from American Renaissance's perspective on race relations namely that they don't want to live in a country where they (white men) are the racial minority or their western European culture takes a backseat or has to share the stage with other cultures.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

doodle wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:23 am I think at the root of all of this is that many people don't want to live in a truly 'diverse' society.. I understand that. I know that a great deal of cultural diversity can create tension. But let's be scientific about this and discuss our honest beliefs about the functionality of the American melting pot rather than fighting these proxy wars over civil war statues and Confederate flags. I think a great many people on this forum probably would agree with Jared Taylor from American Renaissance's perspective on race relations namely that they don't want to live in a country where they (white men) are the racial minority or their western European culture takes a backseat or has to share the stage with other cultures.

The next time some academics tell you how important diversity is, ask how many Republicans there are in their sociology department.

Thomas Sowell

When do people go to far?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVUnUnWfHI
Simonjester wrote:
good video..
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

doodle wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:23 am I think at the root of all of this is that many people don't want to live in a truly 'diverse' society.. I understand that. I know that a great deal of cultural diversity can create tension. But let's be scientific about this and discuss our honest beliefs about the functionality of the American melting pot rather than fighting these proxy wars over civil war statues and Confederate flags. I think a great many people on this forum probably would agree with Jared Taylor from American Renaissance's perspective on race relations namely that they don't want to live in a country where they (white men) are the racial minority or their western European culture takes a backseat or has to share the stage with other cultures.
I'm the son of an Italian immigrant father with all grand parents also Italian immigrants. I grew up in a section of Rhode Island that was heavy first or second generation immigrant families. In our daily lives there was little to no reference to our Italian heritage. Instead, we were all brought up by parents who they themselves or whose parents had come here for the American Dream and we were brought up to be Americans. Same as the Irish kids. The Jewish kids. The Armenian kids. The Greek kids.

I only talked about Italy once with my father. I asked him if he wanted to go back to visit Italy. His response revealed his bitterness towards the company. He said, "We were poor. If I had stayed there, I would have remained poor. I would have never been able to do what I have in this country."

However, also, by that time the country was far more hospitable to Italians than it had originally been in the not that distant past.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

doodle wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:33 pm How ironic that the Republican party of Lincoln is currently so adamant about defending the Confederate legacy....politics is strange.

The problem with being a rational creature is that one can rationalize anything...so I'm fully prepared to hear a million reasons why this makes logical sense.
Well, what do you expect from a party that was once in favor of high levels of arsenic in drinking water and throwing grandma off a cliff?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

I'm going to pick a couple countries at random to make a very simple point. Let's say that a guy is born in say Spain, grows up there, and still lives there. He is Spanish through and through. He likes Spanish culture. He's never really known anything else. Then, over time a bunch of people start coming to live in Spain from say Korea. Maybe a whole bunch of them move to the town where the first guy lives. Nobody asked him if he wanted to live next to a bunch of foreigners. Is it surprising that he wouldn't like that? Does that make him a racist? Maybe he loves to go to other countries, even Korea, to experience their cultures and expand his thinking. However, when he gets home, he wants to live in Spanish culture. Is he a bigot?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that just because people like the familiar doesn't mean that they are full of racial hatred. White people have built some wonderful societies. The fact that they are comfortable in those societies and want to maintain those societies is not surprising. When a bunch of people from another culture start moving in, and things start changing, it's not a surprise that the first people don't like it. Does that make them racists or bigots? No, it just means they like what they have built and what they are used to.
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar »

So, am I to understand that as soon as we burn all existing Confederate flags, tear down all civil war statues, rename all schools relating to civil war heroes, things will be instantly better? Apparently, we will feel better about ourselves for trying to cover up things of the past that should have never, never happened.

What is all this going to do to promote a truly diverse society and relieve systemic racism? Will it improve the educational system? Will it bring back jobs to the oppressed and poverty stricken in our country. Will it strengthen the family units to promote the presence of a father and mother to raise responsible children? Will race relations in general improve quickly? These are the issues that will change the country! How long after the past is erased will I have to wait to see an overall improvement? Maybe reparation checks are the answer.

I liked the previous post suggesting instead of tearing down the statues we place them in a museum. Does anyone really believe that museum housing these artifacts is going to be treated with respect, or spray painted with vulgarities? Besides, the way the statues are going down there will only be pieces left to put back together.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

stuper1 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:14 pm
I'm going to pick a couple countries at random to make a very simple point. Let's say that a guy is born in say Spain, grows up there, and still lives there. He is Spanish through and through. He likes Spanish culture. He's never really known anything else. Then, over time a bunch of people start coming to live in Spain from say Korea. Maybe a whole bunch of them move to the town where the first guy lives. Nobody asked him if he wanted to live next to a bunch of foreigners. Is it surprising that he wouldn't like that? Does that make him a racist? Maybe he loves to go to other countries, even Korea, to experience their cultures and expand his thinking. However, when he gets home, he wants to live in Spanish culture. Is he a bigot?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that just because people like the familiar doesn't mean that they are full of racial hatred. White people have built some wonderful societies. The fact that they are comfortable in those societies and want to maintain those societies is not surprising. When a bunch of people from another culture start moving in, and things start changing, it's not a surprise that the first people don't like it. Does that make them racists or bigots? No, it just means they like what they have built and what they are used to.
Fair enough. The problem with the United States though given this particular view is that much of it was built on the backs of immigrant and slave labor. So unlike many of the racially pure countries of the world, our foundation was a nation of great diversity. Of course there were many indentured white slaves as well at one time but given the color of their skin they could at least at some future point move into a position of assimilation. So looking at the reality of where we are now, how does one deal with the fact that more than 40 million Americans have to live in a society which glorifies the legacy of past generals and war heros who were fighting to maintain a system which brutalized and raped these people of their human dignity? This is an issue that I don't think you as part of the racial majority can understand...at least not viscerally. And yes, this won't solve racial tension, but it's at least a step in the right direction.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

I don't think you seem to be able to understand that it's all just a distraction from the real issue. Those statues of old generals aren't hurting anybody. What is hurting black people today for the most part is just other black people.
Simonjester wrote:
stuper1 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:24 pm I don't think you seem to be able to understand that it's all just a distraction from the real issue. Those statues of old generals aren't hurting anybody. What is hurting black people today for the most part is just other black people.
and liberal democratic government policy's, especially in big city's...

lonestars post below is worth considering for anyone who wants to Fahrenheit 451 our past
Lonestar wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:10 pm So, am I to understand that as soon as we burn all existing Confederate flags, tear down all civil war statues, rename all schools relating to civil war heroes, things will be instantly better? Apparently, we will feel better about ourselves for trying to cover up things of the past that should have never, never happened.

What is all this going to do to promote a truly diverse society and relieve systemic racism? Will it improve the educational system? Will it bring back jobs to the oppressed and poverty stricken in our country. Will it strengthen the family units to promote the presence of a father and mother to raise responsible children? Will race relations in general improve quickly? These are the issues that will change the country! How long after the past is erased will I have to wait to see an overall improvement? Maybe reparation checks are the answer.

from the book Fahrenheit 451

"Beatty explains that it’s normal for a fireman to go through a phase of wondering what books have to offer, and he delivers a dizzying monologue explaining how books came to be banned in the first place. According to Beatty, special-interest groups and other “minorities” objected to books that offended them. Soon, books all began to look the same, as writers tried to avoid offending anybody. This was not enough, however, and society as a whole decided to simply burn books rather than permit conflicting opinions."
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

stuper1 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:24 pm I don't think you seem to be able to understand that it's all just a distraction from the real issue. Those statues of old generals aren't hurting anybody. What is hurting black people today for the most part is just other black people.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean it still isn't the proper thing to do. When a group of people feels marginalized by the larger dominant society then I think it causes a backlash that isn't beneficial for either group. The United States has gained a lot from our diversity, but it has also come with many challenges. The wounds of slavery and segregation and systemic racism that existed quite extensively in much of the southern United States up until the 80s are still raw. This is also impacted by an extreme amount of wealth disparity. I don't have answers, only that I acknowledge that we have a lot of work ahead of us regarding how to address these issues. To merely try to stomp this movement out will lead to even greater resentment and problems. We need to have some earnest conversations. A lot of white America seems to want no part of this diversity , how does one fold these diverse views into one unified nation?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Regarding the cause of the Civil War....from the excellent book "Last Flag Down" I'm reading I found this:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (70.62 KiB) Viewed 4884 times

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Glad you're enjoying the book!

The highlighted part says that slavery was the predominant "ignition point", but that's different from saying that's what the war was about. And the rest of the except goes on to say that the motivating impulse for the people fighting was nationhood, not slavery.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

The Confederate army fought for the expansion and preservation of the subjugation of a race of people. Whether that was the only factor that led to the war is not relevant. The individuals in charge of that movement should not be eulogized in front of public buildings or in schools. Their histories should be reserved to the realm of museums.

Whatever the facts are regarding the veracity of systemic racism in our society and amongst the police, that is a separate issue. I do think that the facts have unfortunately been heavily ignored by the left...and that is disingenuous and dangerous to the honest dialogue that is necessary if we are to move forward with dealing with the issue of race in America. None of this however justifies the honoring of a brutal legacy of our past.
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar »

doodle wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:10 pm

Fair enough. The problem with the United States though given this particular view is that much of it was built on the backs of immigrant and slave labor. So unlike many of the racially pure countries of the world, our foundation was a nation of great diversity. Of course there were many indentured white slaves as well at one time but given the color of their skin they could at least at some future point move into a position of assimilation. So looking at the reality of where we are now, how does one deal with the fact that more than 40 million Americans have to live in a society which glorifies the legacy of past generals and war heros who were fighting to maintain a system which brutalized and raped these people of their human dignity? This is an issue that I don't think you as part of the racial majority can understand...at least not viscerally. And yes, this won't solve racial tension, but it's at least a step in the right direction.
"And yes, this won't solve racial tension, but it's at least a step in the right direction"

Burning down neighborhoods and looting is a step in the right direction? The vast majority of the good folks living in those areas would probably not agree with you. They now have no Target, pharmacy, grocery store, clothing stores at which to shop.

Another difficult sell on your premise is going to be convincing those small business owners, mostly minorities, that the destruction of their businesses, a lifelong work in progress, is necessary because it's a step, not a solution. The owners I saw interviewed stated they had invested every penny they had plus years of hard work, only to see it disappear overnight. I guess they are just collateral damage.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

You say they SHOULD not be eulogized. That is a very reasonable position. That is your opinion.

Are you the sole arbiter that gets to decide this question? Is anybody else allowed to have a contrary opinion?

Do we have a public process for deciding questions like this?

Actually, we have a multitude of such processes. Each state gets to decide which statues should rest on state ground. If you don't like the statue there, then follow the rule of law and go get a bill passed to get the statue removed. Each local government would also have the right to decide whether statues could rest on property owned by them. If you don't like the statue there, go to the local government and find out the process to get the statue removed.

That's how things are done in a civilized society. If you don't want to live in a civilized society, then move somewhere else. Guess what, the rule of law SHOULD be followed. It's there for a reason, to keep us out of mob rule and anarchy.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Lonestar wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:12 am

"And yes, this won't solve racial tension, but it's at least a step in the right direction"

Burning down neighborhoods and looting is a step in the right direction? The vast majority of the good folks living in those areas would probably not agree with you. They now have no Target, pharmacy, grocery store, clothing stores at which to shop.

Another difficult sell on your premise is going to be convincing those small business owners, mostly minorities, that the destruction of their businesses, a lifelong work in progress, is necessary because it's a step, not a solution. The owners I saw interviewed stated they had invested every penny they had plus years of hard work, only to see it disappear overnight. I guess they are just collateral damage.
Where the hell did I advocate for burning and looting businesses? I feel like I'm having a debate in an insane asylum. I'm saying that defending and eulogizing the Confederate legacy on public buildings is bad policy. Nowhere have I condoned the activity of a group of criminals set on destroying property.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

stuper1 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:18 am You say they SHOULD not be eulogized. That is a very reasonable position. That is your opinion.

Are you the sole arbiter that gets to decide this question? Is anybody else allowed to have a contrary opinion?

Do we have a public process for deciding questions like this?

Actually, we have a multitude of such processes. Each state gets to decide which statues should rest on state ground. If you don't like the statue there, then follow the rule of law and go get a bill passed to get the statue removed. Each local government would also have the right to decide whether statues could rest on property owned by them. If you don't like the statue there, go to the local government and find out the process to get the statue removed.

That's how things are done in a civilized society. If you don't want to live in a civilized society, then move somewhere else. Guess what, the rule of law SHOULD be followed. It's there for a reason, to keep us out of mob rule and anarchy.
And I advocated for mobs tearing them down? I'm saying that the GOP defending the Confederate legacy is strangely ironic but more importantly divisive and bad policy. If you want to erect a Confederate statue on your front lawn go ahead...I don't see how anyone can justify naming a high school after Robert e Lee.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

This whole thread started off on the wrong foot because you said that the GOP is defending the Confederate legacy.

My interpretation is that the GOP is saying that mobs shouldn't be tearing down statues because there is a legal process that should be followed if statues are to come down. You apparently interpret that as the GOP defending Confederates. All the GOP is doing is saying that mobs shouldn't rule.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Not only statues...Trump just recently decried the renaming of military installations named after Confederate generals. He's been defending this Confederate legacy since the beginning of his term. This is not about mobs tearing down statues.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

doodle wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:46 am
I'm saying that the GOP defending the Confederate legacy is strangely ironic but more importantly divisive and bad policy. If you want to erect a Confederate statue on your front lawn go ahead...I don't see how anyone can justify naming a high school after Robert e Lee.

Not only statues...Trump just recently decried the renaming of military installations named after Confederate generals. He's been defending this Confederate legacy since the beginning of his term. This is not about mobs tearing down statues.
I would like to know what schools were named Robert E Lee RECENTLY.
Most of these schools were named Years ago along with the Statues were erected and placed Years ago.
To most people it is HISTORY, we let history be history.
So History is what I believe that people defend, no Slavery..

You seem to work Trump into the debate quite often, We know you Hate Trump or Dislike Trump and Fervently disagree with Trump,We get it.
What in the Grand scheme does this have to do with Trump when Obama turned down renaming bases also.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

shekels wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:54 am
doodle wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:46 am
I'm saying that the GOP defending the Confederate legacy is strangely ironic but more importantly divisive and bad policy. If you want to erect a Confederate statue on your front lawn go ahead...I don't see how anyone can justify naming a high school after Robert e Lee.

I would like to know what schools were named Robert E Lee RECENTLY.
Most of these schools were named Years ago along with the Statues were erected and placed Years ago.
To most people it is HISTORY, we let history be history.
So History is what I believe that people defend, no Slavery..

You seem to work Trump into the debate quite often, We know you Hate Trump or Dislike Trump and Fervently disagree with Trump,We get it.
What in the Grand scheme does this have to do with Trump when Obama turned down renaming bases also.
Love how you love to work Hillary and Obama into debates. They are not relevant to the moment today...events change things. Will this solve the issue of race relations in America? Absolutely not. Is it the right thing to do as a society? Absolutely. It's a good faith concession. Public spaces shouldn't commemorate people who advocated things antithetical to a just and free society. A native American shouldn't have to attend a high with a statue of William Sherman out front and an African American shouldn't attend an institution commemorating the man who fought for preserving their bondage...it is tasteless....but what should I expect from a Trump supporter, your ability to evaluate acceptable decent behavior is obviously compromised.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Mostly the Native Americans were on the Confederate side. What does that do to your calculus? Also, blacks aren't necessarily a unified bloc on this either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHqa2uFw2Vc

Anybody have any confirmation on whether or not this is true? That the bill to rename military bases also requires the destruction of monuments to war dead?
https://www.foxnews.com/media/tucker-de ... cemeteries
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar »

doodle wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:18 am
Lonestar wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:12 am

Where the hell did I advocate for burning and looting businesses? I feel like I'm having a debate in an insane asylum. I'm saying that defending and eulogizing the Confederate legacy on public buildings is bad policy. Nowhere have I condoned the activity of a group of criminals set on destroying property.
My apologies. I took your sentence out of context. I was just venting.