Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Where would you move?

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:16 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:21 pm
There's a big jump in people suddenly freed from the need to live in expensive, crowded areas by the shift to remote work, which is now becoming a permanent trend:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-worke ... jem10point
All told, at one point in April, Americans were relocating at twice the pace they did a year earlier, according to Cuebiq, a data firm that tracks movement via mobile phones. They continued to move at an elevated rate through mid-May. Cuebiq’s tally includes any trips away from home that last at least three weeks, so it also captures some temporary movement, like people decamping to vacation homes and students moving home from college.

It’s too early to tell how many of these moves are permanent and how, in aggregate, new migration patterns might reshape the country. Some people who left big cities early in the pandemic are realizing they miss working from an office—or their companies miss them, and want them back in their cubicles. Others are staying put because they don’t know when their companies will make them come back.

Still, coronavirus-spurred moving could accelerate a shift already under way from dense, expensive cities to more affordable areas, including small cities and suburbs.

In places like Boise, Idaho, real-estate agents say people are finally breaking ties with the West Coast after years of waffling, and sometimes buying properties sight-unseen.
We had a similar discussion a while back, but as I recall there were some strict parameters. Given the trends in liberal cities that we all expect will lead to increased crime, high taxes, and general deterioration in quality of life, if you were willing and able to pull up stakes and move, what places would be on the Good list? There are some comments about this in the article and also the discussion that follows, if you have access to those.

Texas I assume should be on the list...

New Hampshire is high on my personal list, as is Alaska.
Florida is a popular choice, if you're a fan of hot humid weather.

Perhaps ironically, upstate New York is on the list. The Hudson Valley and Finger Lakes regions are gorgeous, and overall quite conservative.
If you could saw NYC off and push it into the ocean, NY would probably be a pretty good place to live. Short of that, I don't see it.
And I say this as someone who lived in NY for about a decade and liked the upstate region.

As for Texas, yes, that is good, but don't move to a big city; they are all run by incompetent and corrupt Democrats.
Some of the northern Dallas suburbs are pretty nice though.

New Hampshire is fine if you don't mind terrible weather, but it may not be much worse than New York in that regard.
Florida isn't bad either but make sure you consider how to deal with hurricanes.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:33 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:34 pm
Golden CO, 1977: woodsy, sparse with the occasional coyote; 2014: fairly dense suburb.
And it neighbors Rocky Flats, which is radioactive as hell.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:38 pm

How about Sand Point, Idaho? Or Sequim (pronounced "Squim"), Washington? Jackson Hole, Montana? Chapel Hill, North Carolina?

Would you need to be near a university, or would this be a retirement thing?
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:31 pm

you mean Jackson Hole, Wyoming? Nice one...I talked to a shop owner there who left a job as a corporate lawyer in NYC. She was very happy with the change. It's super touristy and vacation-y, though.

It would be impossible to re-create my job in a non-deep blue city, so no that's not a requirement.

Tech, my understanding is that there has been a long-standing spat between Albany and NYC, because Albany doesn't want to subside the city and tends to organize state tax and budget structures to benefit the upstate regions. For example, there is a property tax cap on all of New York except NYC. NYC claims to have a property tax cap of its own, but either it doesn't or it's completely ignored.

Upstate would be very nice indeed except for some nanny state stuff, like you can't order your own blood tests and there are stricter controls on prescription drugs which create all kinds of stupid (and deadly) problems. If NYC, Rockland, Westchester, and Long Island were separated from the rest of the state, there would never again be a Democratic governor and upstate NY would probably be reliably red.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:05 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:31 pm
you mean Jackson Hole, Wyoming? Nice one...I talked to a shop owner there who left a job as a corporate lawyer in NYC. She was very happy with the change. It's super touristy and vacation-y, though.

It would be impossible to re-create my job in a non-deep blue city, so no that's not a requirement.

Tech, my understanding is that there has been a long-standing spat between Albany and NYC, because Albany doesn't want to subside the city and tends to organize state tax and budget structures to benefit the upstate regions. For example, there is a property tax cap on all of New York except NYC. NYC claims to have a property tax cap of its own, but either it doesn't or it's completely ignored.
Sure, but Albany has its own issues. E.g., the "bail reform" was a state disaster, not NYC. The state revenue department is also vicious, if possible even worse than the IRS. As for property taxes, although I never owned property in NYC, I was under the impression that the property tax was the only NYC tax that wasn't extremely high compared to other places. But that was a long time ago.
WiseOne wrote:
Upstate would be very nice indeed except for some nanny state stuff, like you can't order your own blood tests and there are stricter controls on prescription drugs which create all kinds of stupid (and deadly) problems. If NYC, Rockland, Westchester, and Long Island were separated from the rest of the state, there would never again be a Democratic governor and upstate NY would probably be reliably red.
That would be great but unfortunately is not very likely to happen.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:07 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:11 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:05 pm

WiseOne wrote:
That would be great but unfortunately is not very likely to happen.
Interestingly, the rest of IL has been trying to kick Chicago and Cook County out for basically the same reasons. Also unlikely to happen, but this all fits with the other thread on breaking up the US. As the rest of the country becomes disgusted with the poorly run big cities, how will this all play out?
I hope it will not result in a shooting civil war.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:43 pm

WiseOne wrote:

Upstate would be very nice indeed except for some nanny state stuff, like you can't order your own blood tests
I was quite surprised to find out several years ago that this was the case in Massachusetts. I think it even applied to mail order? My only recourse would have been to drive to a state which allowed me to order my own?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:51 pm

Yes, either you drive to a lab in a neighboring state, or you order a home test kit (for things like blood spots and other samples you can take yourself) sent to a friend or Amazon locker or whatever in said neighboring state.

Telemed makes life much easier though. If your doctor doesn't offer them, you can always get your state-required blessing from one of the generic online services like doctorondemand. And at least in NY, the labs are required to send you copies of your test results on request.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:28 pm

You may have seen this, WiseOne, now that you have the WSJ.

Connecticut: https://www.wsj.com/articles/connecticu ... 1594558882

( I did a lot of scrolling to find this thread and boy did I miss a lot of topics lately. Smith posted his stand up act? Got to read that now, forthwith )
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:24 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:28 pm
You may have seen this, WiseOne, now that you have the WSJ.

Connecticut: https://www.wsj.com/articles/connecticu ... 1594558882

( I did a lot of scrolling to find this thread and boy did I miss a lot of topics lately. Smith posted his stand up act? Got to read that now, forthwith )
For those who don't subscribe to the WSJ: https://archive.vn/lBTve.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:04 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:16 pm
WiseOne wrote:
There's a big jump in people suddenly freed from the need to live in expensive, crowded areas by the shift to remote work, which is now becoming a permanent trend:

All told, at one point in April, Americans were relocating at twice the pace they did a year earlier, according to Cuebiq, a data firm that tracks movement via mobile phones. They continued to move at an elevated rate through mid-May. Cuebiq’s tally includes any trips away from home that last at least three weeks, so it also captures some temporary movement, like people decamping to vacation homes and students moving home from college.

It’s too early to tell how many of these moves are permanent and how, in aggregate, new migration patterns might reshape the country. Some people who left big cities early in the pandemic are realizing they miss working from an office—or their companies miss them, and want them back in their cubicles. Others are staying put because they don’t know when their companies will make them come back.

Still, coronavirus-spurred moving could accelerate a shift already under way from dense, expensive cities to more affordable areas, including small cities and suburbs.

In places like Boise, Idaho, real-estate agents say people are finally breaking ties with the West Coast after years of waffling, and sometimes buying properties sight-unseen.
We had a similar discussion a while back, but as I recall there were some strict parameters. Given the trends in liberal cities that we all expect will lead to increased crime, high taxes, and general deterioration in quality of life, if you were willing and able to pull up stakes and move, what places would be on the Good list? There are some comments about this in the article and also the discussion that follows, if you have access to those.

Perhaps ironically, upstate New York is on the list. The Hudson Valley and Finger Lakes regions are gorgeous, and overall quite conservative.
If you could saw NYC off and push it into the ocean, NY would probably be a pretty good place to live. Short of that, I don't see it.
And I say this as someone who lived in NY for about a decade and liked the upstate region.

As for Texas, yes, that is good, but don't move to a big city; they are all run by incompetent and corrupt Democrats.

New Hampshire is fine if you don't mind terrible weather, but it may not be much worse than New York in that regard.
Florida isn't bad either but make sure you consider how to deal with hurricanes.

I live in one of those North Texas Suburbs. People are moving here in droves but personally I don’t see the attraction. The weather is terrible. It is 10pm as I write this and the temp is 92 with a “feels like” of 100. The “feels like” during the day is 111 and that will last until October. North Texas is completely devoid of any beaches, mountains or such. It is pretty much all strips malls, chain stores and churches. Seriously if someone came here on vacation what on earth would you tell them to do? What is a must-see in Dallas? The economy does tend to be better than other states though.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:11 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:04 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:16 pm
WiseOne wrote:

I live in one of those North Texas Suburbs. People are moving here in droves but personally I don’t see the attraction. The weather is terrible. It is 10pm as I write this and the temp is 92 with a “feels like” of 100. The “feels like” during the day is 111 and that will last until October. North Texas is completely devoid of any beaches, mountains or such. It is pretty much all strips malls, chain stores and churches. Seriously if someone came here on vacation what on earth would you tell them to do? What is a must-see in Dallas? The economy does tend to be better than other states though.
Dallas isn't much of a tourist destination, and I agree the weather isn't great.

But I prefer North Texas weather to Northern weather; you don't have to shovel heat and your cars last a long time without road salt to eat them up. And as long as the A/C is working, who cares how hot it is outside?

Of course one of the reasons that the economy tends to be better is less taxation and onerous regulation. It's not perfect, but much better than the Northeastern states, Illinois, and California in particular. And because there's plenty of land, you don't need to be a multi-millionaire to own a house on some acreage, although not in the city or near-in suburbe.

Speaking of weather, my A/C is running but just barely; the main blower motor isn't working right so I had to shut off the second cooling stage until it is replaced, hopefully this week.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:17 pm

jalanlong wrote:

Major league sports teams? Of interest t to me, would be Dallas Mavericks and Texas Rangers. I assume there might be some top rated college basketball teams also?

And, I assume a lot of places that play rock music?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:25 pm

I'll live in Schiffistan, yo. O0

text.png
text.png (48.46 KiB) Viewed 4431 times
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:33 am

jalanlong wrote:
Don't write ad copy for Texas, jalanlong! That sounds like my ultimate nightmare. I so much prefer cold/snow to heat that I've even contemplated ways to spend July and August in the southern hemisphere.

Tech, good luck with your air conditioner. If I were you I'd have a stack of backup plans for power outages (generator, solar, battery backup) plus at least one active/reserve window A/C that can be run on your power backups. Highly recommend a Keystone, they're dirt cheap and the one I got has outlasted AND worked better than its predecessor which cost 3x as much. You just have to drill a drain hole in the bottom if your area gets humid.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:38 am

jalanlong wrote:

Work,Work.Work.

It all about the Benjamin's

My son gets a better Salary in and around Plano compared to where I live in TX.

Must see in Dallas, well you got me there.
Maybe Airports, Traffic. :)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:44 am

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:33 am
jalanlong wrote:
Don't write ad copy for Texas, jalanlong! That sounds like my ultimate nightmare. I so much prefer cold/snow to heat that I've even contemplated ways to spend July and August in the southern hemisphere.

Tech, good luck with your air conditioner. If I were you I'd have a stack of backup plans for power outages (generator, solar, battery backup) plus at least one active/reserve window A/C that can be run on your power backups. Highly recommend a Keystone, they're dirt cheap and the one I got has outlasted AND worked better than its predecessor which cost 3x as much. You just have to drill a drain hole in the bottom if your area gets humid.
The technician was just here to replace the motor. It seems to be working properly now.
As for backup plans, I was a Y2K prepper.
Accordingly, I have two generators that run on gasoline or propane.
I also have a GE window A/C unit, which I plugged in last night to test. It started up with no problems although I didn't check the cooling because I'd have to take it out of the box.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:24 am

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:33 am
Once our property market finishes imploding, you can get a cheap holiday house in Melbourne ;)
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60801 ... 4866.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKWDsc ... KHsmow4-bQ
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:15 am

jalanlong wrote:
If you're trying to keep your area from getting too crowded, mission accomplished. O0
Larry McMurtry's Texasville was on cable the other day and it looked pleasant, but perhaps those days are gone.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:40 pm

shekels wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:38 am
jalanlong wrote:

Work,Work.Work.

I live and work in Plano. You are right, it is ALL about the economy. But some of that is offset by the skyrocketing price of housing. Homes in Texas cities were always considered inexpensive by big city standards. And sure, people moving here from California still believe they are getting a great deal on a house. But we are starting to creep into that price range that other big cities are in. Homes in my neighborhood that used to go for $200k are now selling for $400-450k. $500k if they are really renovated. An apartment that I rented 10 years ago for $800 a month is now $2000. Not quite Southern California prices yet but they are getting there...and with no beaches, mountains or nice weather to justify it. And property taxes are astronomical. A $300k house in Plano costs around $7500 in annual property taxes. The cost of living used to be one of the main draws to the area and I think in another 10 years that will be a thing of the past.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:02 am

jalanlong wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:40 pm
shekels wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:38 am
jalanlong wrote:

Work,Work.Work.

I live and work in Plano. You are right, it is ALL about the economy. But some of that is offset by the skyrocketing price of housing. Homes in Texas cities were always considered inexpensive by big city standards. And sure, people moving here from California still believe they are getting a great deal on a house. But we are starting to creep into that price range that other big cities are in. Homes in my neighborhood that used to go for $200k are now selling for $400-450k. $500k if they are really renovated. An apartment that I rented 10 years ago for $800 a month is now $2000. Not quite Southern California prices yet but they are getting there...and with no beaches, mountains or nice weather to justify it. And property taxes are astronomical. A $300k house in Plano costs around $7500 in annual property taxes. The cost of living used to be one of the main draws to the area and I think in another 10 years that will be a thing of the past.
Property Tax is a Big issue I have with counties in TX. Counties/School Districts just figure out ways to raise more Taxes, on your property.
The Boom in values are amazing and unbelievable to watch.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:26 am

My understanding is that housing prices have been rising for years in places all over the world, not just in Texas or even just the US. I suspect it has something to do with the interest rates across the world having been low for many years now.

Regarding the high property tax in Texas, at least be thankful that you guys have zero state income tax. Has anyone ever compared total state taxes (e.g., income tax plus property tax) in different states for different income brackets?

I wonder if the rise in popularity of remote work will eventually result in states competing with each other on tax rates as remote workers flock to the states with the lowest total taxes. People used to have to move where the jobs were, but with remote work the jobs are now everywhere.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:32 am

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:26 am
My understanding is that housing prices have been rising for years in places all over the world, not just in Texas or even just the US. I suspect it has something to do with the interest rates across the world having been low for many years now.

Regarding the high property tax in Texas, at least be thankful that you guys have zero state income tax. Has anyone ever compared total state taxes (e.g., income tax plus property tax) in different states for different income brackets?

I wonder if the rise in popularity of remote work will eventually result in states competing with each other on tax rates as remote workers flock to the states with the lowest total taxes. People used to have to move where the jobs were, but with remote work the jobs are now everywhere.
This article is a bit out of date but should give you a general idea of good and bad states for taxes:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erincarlyl ... e3972b6580
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:38 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:32 am
Tortoise wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:26 am

This article is a bit out of date but should give you a general idea of good and bad states for taxes:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erincarlyl ... e3972b6580
On list, my state, once called Taxachusetts is #39, which keeps it just out of the worst 20%.

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:47 pm

That list is useful, but it's based on broad averages. The total tax bill could potentially look very different for each state depending on a person's income and the size of home/property they choose to own.