HCQ does work

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

HCQ does work

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:49 pm

"According to a protocol-based treatment algorithm, among hospitalized patients, use of hydroxychloroquine alone and in combination with azithromycin was associated with a significant reduction in-hospital mortality compared to not receiving hydroxychloroquine."

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S120 ... 8/fulltext
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: HCQ does work

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:07 pm

Man, you read through that breakdown of of the huge percentages of comorbidities, diabetes, BMI, etc, what the hell are Americans eating?!
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:20 pm

HCQ = $40 for 50 pills. Remdisivir treatment around $3120 per patient.

Tells you everything you need to know.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:30 pm

No it doesn't.

Thanks for posting this tech, but it's an observational study just like the one I posted from New England Journal of Medicine that did not find a difference between treatments. I've said already that I completely support prospective, randomized clinical trials and that's what's needed to answer your question. If this study encourages those, that's a good thing. However - there are a lot of hidden sources of bias in observational studies that could alter results, e.g. physicians could be giving HCQ preferentially to patients who look like they have a good chance of surviving already.

The only thing we know right now is that HCQ might be an effective treatment - but if it is, it won't be a miracle cure, it'll just somewhat improve a person's chances. I'm reasonably certain, though, that any adverse effects of HCQ are either balanced out by the positive effects, or are too small to show up in these studies. Which is also good news.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:46 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:07 pm
Man, you read through that breakdown of of the huge percentages of comorbidities, diabetes, BMI, etc, what the hell are Americans eating?!
Crap, basically.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:48 pm

My son's experience over the weekend does tend to lend credence to WiseOne's observation.

From the way he described it, he was experiencing the "cytokine storm" and should have gone to the hospital but didn't, either because he was an idiot, or didn't have insurance, or possibly both (I can confirm the former). He got better overnight all on his own so his anecdotal experience does match the overnight miracle cures from HCQ that I have heard of.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:50 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:30 pm
No it doesn't.

Thanks for posting this tech, but it's an observational study just like the one I posted from New England Journal of Medicine that did not find a difference between treatments. I've said already that I completely support prospective, randomized clinical trials and that's what's needed to answer your question. If this study encourages those, that's a good thing. However - there are a lot of hidden sources of bias in observational studies that could alter results, e.g. physicians could be giving HCQ preferentially to patients who look like they have a good chance of surviving already.

The only thing we know right now is that HCQ might be an effective treatment - but if it is, it won't be a miracle cure, it'll just somewhat improve a person's chances. I'm reasonably certain, though, that any adverse effects of HCQ are either balanced out by the positive effects, or are too small to show up in these studies. Which is also good news.
Yes, I understand that randomized controlled studies are the gold standard, but my understanding is that the ones that were in progress were cancelled because of the fake study that purported to show that it was harmful.

So "protocol-based" doesn't mean that they were giving it based on a protocol? I would think that if you go by a protocol, then you would give it to patients based on the protocol, not based on whether you thought they would do well.

And why would anyone do that anyway? If anything, I would expect it to be given to patients that they thought were in the most trouble, as a hail-Mary pass.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:53 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:07 pm
SAD = Standard American Diet

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:42 am

When scientific rigor has gone out the window and all we have left are variations on the theme of fraud, I'd suggest that the bar is disproportionately high when it comes to hydroxychloroquine.

Note that the CoVid-19 vaccine has been not only declared "safe" but has been mandated by at least two universities (and national health "authorities" are jawboning about mandating it for the entire population) before it even exists.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:18 am

Maddy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:42 am
When scientific rigor has gone out the window and all we have left are variations on the theme of fraud, I'd suggest that the bar is disproportionately high when it comes to hydroxychloroquine.

Note that the CoVid-19 vaccine has been not only declared "safe" but has been mandated by at least two universities (and national health "authorities" are jawboning about mandating it for the entire population) before it even exists.
A few minutes ago I heard that there is an article in the Wall Street Journal that states when a vaccine arrives, half the population will refuse to take it.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:47 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:18 am
Maddy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:42 am

A few minutes ago I heard that there is an article in the Wall Street Journal that states when a vaccine arrives, half the population will refuse to take it.

Vinny
There is actually a good historical precedent for not wanting to be first in line for a new vaccine. A bad batch of the first polio vaccine gave people the virus. That would never happen with the CDC and FDA in place today however (just kidding - see the initial first test for Covid, complements of Dr. Fauci).