The NYC Hard Hat Riots of 1970

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

The NYC Hard Hat Riots of 1970

Post by pp4me »

Somebody was talking about this on the news last night and left me wondering if history might repeat itself.

https://www.archives.nyc/blog/2020/5/8/ ... -hat-riots

The "silent majority" finally spoke and in the next election Nixon won the biggest electoral college landslide in history.

So far we only have those two "racists" in Minneapolis defending their lives and property but I'm wondering if NYC still has any "hard hats" left.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The NYC Hard Hat Riots of 1970

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Friday, May 8, marks the 50th anniversary of one of the uglier incidents in New York’s history
Oh man, this sounds horrible, was there a string of mass gang rapes, or a series of torture killings???
in a year that was one of the most tumultuous in recent US history. In front of Federal Hall and under the statue of George Washington, construction workers stormed a student protest against the Vietnam War and chased both students and bystanders through the streets, beating and kicking them.
BLAHAHAHAHAH LOLOLOL ROFL LOLZERS
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

pp4me, thank you for the article on that bit of forgotten history. It would be interesting indeed if the "silent majority" finally gets fed up and starts counter protesting sometime before November. People certainly have a lot to complain about, like the all night fireworks that are being protected by Democratic mayors across the country. Subject large numbers of hardworking people to nightly sleep disturbances for weeks on end, add miserably hot weather on top of it, and...just wait!!! Plus I think most people either realize now, or will soon, that "defunding the police" can only result in new crime waves....I mean it's not rocket science people. What we're seeing now is that most people who were cheering the BLM protests a month ago have lost interest, so maybe that's Step One.

Keep in mind though that in the 1970s, journalism was still a profession and impartial, factual reporting was the rule. Instead of a neutral term like "hard hats", counter protesters would now be called "deplorables", "racists", "white supremacists", and "Nazis". So it's not clear how the message would play on the national stage.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

WiseOne wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:17 pm pp4me, thank you for the article on that bit of forgotten history. It would be interesting indeed if the "silent majority" finally gets fed up and starts counter protesting sometime before November. People certainly have a lot to complain about, like the all night fireworks that are being protected by Democratic mayors across the country. Subject large numbers of hardworking people to nightly sleep disturbances for weeks on end, add miserably hot weather on top of it, and...just wait!!! Plus I think most people either realize now, or will soon, that "defunding the police" can only result in new crime waves....I mean it's not rocket science people. What we're seeing now is that most people who were cheering the BLM protests a month ago have lost interest, so maybe that's Step One.

Keep in mind though that in the 1970s, journalism was still a profession and impartial, factual reporting was the rule. Instead of a neutral term like "hard hats", counter protesters would now be called "deplorables", "racists", "white supremacists", and "Nazis". So it's not clear how the message would play on the national stage.
It was only last night and for maybe a few hours that I heard fireworks in my neighborhood. Have no memory if this is an every year occurrence or an anomaly due to all local annual fireworks presentations being cancelled.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

WiseOne wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:17 pm pp4me, thank you for the article on that bit of forgotten history. It would be interesting indeed if the "silent majority" finally gets fed up and starts counter protesting sometime before November. People certainly have a lot to complain about, like the all night fireworks that are being protected by Democratic mayors across the country. Subject large numbers of hardworking people to nightly sleep disturbances for weeks on end, add miserably hot weather on top of it, and...just wait!!! Plus I think most people either realize now, or will soon, that "defunding the police" can only result in new crime waves....I mean it's not rocket science people. What we're seeing now is that most people who were cheering the BLM protests a month ago have lost interest, so maybe that's Step One.

Yes, fortunately it appears so far that Soros isn't very good at timing. The Marxists should have done this in late September for maximum impact.
Of course I'm not saying they don't have more insurrection planned. Why would they stop now after 4 years of constant attempts?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Simonjester wrote:
Fire works around July is pretty common, but i see a change in the pattern. There used to be pre 4th fire works but they would be small bursts of fire crackers, the familiar wiz, bang, zip, etc.. sounds.. with a rare but expected boom! this year it started earlier, and there was none of the above fireworks sounds until a couple/few days before the 4th in the same period of time that they normally happen. the unusual fireworks seems to have started earlier, and are random spaced (not bursts of setting stuff off) and they are all loud sharp cracks, in groups of one, two or three.. much more reminiscent of gunfire..

i don't ascribe any cause to this, i have no idea or conspiracy to go with it, it could just be a new type of firework is popular this year ... or THEY could be up to something... ;)

Again, for my neighborhood. ZERO activity except for last night. I was somewhat surprised at how much there was, wondering which of my neighbors had relatively young people of whom I'm not aware.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

You're not in a big city with housing projects filled with welfare recipients who are mainly of a certain skin color. I am, and so is dualstow (gathered from his report that he also is having a terrible time with these fireworks). Read the news on them? You won't find that much but you will learn when it started (1-1.5 months ago) and that it's been every night, all night since then.

Proximity to a housing project is the main risk factor for being woken up by fireworks at 3am. I'm quite fortunate to be as far away from a project as you can get while still being in Manhattan, but I can still hear them. It's not too loud as long as I keep the windows closed. People in, say, the neighborhood I used to live in are not so lucky...I'm incredibly thankful I'm not still there.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

WiseOne wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:06 pm You're not in a big city with housing projects filled with welfare recipients who are mainly of a certain skin color. I am, and so is dualstow (gathered from his report that he also is having a terrible time with these fireworks). Read the news on them? You won't find that much but you will learn when it started (1-1.5 months ago) and that it's been every night, all night since then.

Proximity to a housing project is the main risk factor for being woken up by fireworks at 3am. I'm quite fortunate to be as far away from a project as you can get while still being in Manhattan, but I can still hear them. It's not too loud as long as I keep the windows closed. People in, say, the neighborhood I used to live in are not so lucky...I'm incredibly thankful I'm not still there.
Here is my town's demographics.

"As of the census[14] of 2000, there were 8,489 people, 3,616 households, and 2,169 families residing in the town. The population density was 279.2 people per square mile (107.8/km²). There were 3,844 housing units at an average density of 126.4 per square mile (48.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 95.13% White, 0.84% African American, 0.39% Native American, 0.93% Asian, 0.11% Pacific Islander, 0.68% from other races, and 1.92% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.56% of the population."

The Town is composed of five villages and the village I'm in is probably the most white one of all with the least minority presence.

By the way, the number of people in all those five villages would fit into a 1/4 square mile (or less) for where live? 1/16? 1/32? 1/64? ??????

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

You didn't say whether your town contains a housing project. I hardly think it qualifies as a major city with a large welfare population, which is why you aren't blessed with all night fireworks.

Can I ask what the point of your post was?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

WiseOne wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:10 pm You didn't say whether your town contains a housing project. I hardly think it qualifies as a major city with a large welfare population, which is why you aren't blessed with all night fireworks.

Can I ask what the point of your post was?
There is a housing project about four miles down the road on my street. But that would be in one of the other five villages - the lowest income one. There are many people in that village on welfare as our county overall is the lowest income county in the state.

The point was to compare where I live to where you live.

Vinny