Missouri couple who defended home have rifle-seized

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Missouri couple who defended home have rifle-seized

Post by pp4me » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:49 pm

I'm hoping this goes all the way to the Supreme Court - either in the form of the couple being prosecuted or the couple suing for violating their civil rights. So now they have been rendered completely defenseless by the government if the mob comes down the street again. The only reason they didn't take the wife's gun too is because it was with her lawyer and not in the house.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/missouri-cou ... rch-report
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Missouri couple who defended home have rifle-seized

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:46 am

pp4me wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:49 pm
I'm hoping this goes all the way to the Supreme Court - either in the form of the couple being prosecuted or the couple suing for violating their civil rights. So now they have been rendered completely defenseless by the government if the mob comes down the street again. The only reason they didn't take the wife's gun too is because it was with her lawyer and not in the house.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/missouri-cou ... rch-report
I wonder what the Missouri politicians think the 2nd Amendment means.
Nothing, probably.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:29 pm

This is nuts....

Isn't Missouri one of the states with "stand your ground" laws?

I definitely hope this goes to the Supreme Court - that would go very far toward settling the question of what "stand your ground" and "self-defense" really means. It would be very helpful in NYC for sure - we are in severe need of a federal decision that supercedes state/city rules that virtually prohibit defending yourself from a violent criminal.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:35 pm

When these people are killed or their house is burned down I would imagine that their police department is going to get the fuck sued out of them, but it's tough to tell nowadays.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 am

Interesting perspective on current events. What do you think - 1789? It sure does seem the divisiveness in our country is getting worse; I thought it was bad with Bush 2, worse with Obama, and now is teetering on the edge of an abyss whether or not Trump is re-elected President.

http://alpb.org/Forum/index.php?topic=7 ... #msg483305

Terry Culler:
What neo-cons lack is a substantive conservative philosophy. In the 60's the disagreements among conservatives were defined by libertarian vs. Burkean thought. Frank Meyer and Bill Buckley promoted a view based on the idea that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Then Roe v. Wade created a whole new perspective in the mix followed by the neo-cons. The conservative movement is breaking apart now, fractured like a windshield hit by a stone. Conservatives may be looking at a long period in the wilderness before a new consensus can be formed and translated into electoral victory. We're back to what Buckley said about National Review when it was founded--our job is to stand athwart history yelling STOP!

Matt Hummel:
Your point is well taken. As a student of history, I am resigned to the idea of “wilderness years.” It happens. What scares me about the “Progressive” Left is the fact that they will not be content with driving us out into the wilderness. They will want something more than a temporary solution to the issue of obstructionists and others in the way. I don’t think it’s 1968 all over again. I think it’s 1789, and welcome to France. If there is anyone who doesn’t see the crazylight of Jacobinism in the eyes of Ocasio, Omar, and others, get a guide dog. And Biden will be at best a figurehead. He will be no moderating force, nor Pelosi, nor Schumer. In the later two instances, I suspect it will be like the basic SF Movie after Election Day, when the invading aliens pull off their human mask and reveal who they truly are. I suspect that only a handful of idiots really like Trump. But a whole mess of people fear what “progress” has promised to bring. And we fear it, not from lack of understanding. We fear it, because we have heard the words of its leaders, and believe them to be speaking honestly.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:32 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 am
Interesting perspective on current events. What do you think - 1789? It sure does seem the divisiveness in our country is getting worse; I thought it was bad with Bush 2, worse with Obama, and now is teetering on the edge of an abyss whether or not Trump is re-elected President.

http://alpb.org/Forum/index.php?topic=7 ... #msg483305

Terry Culler:
What neo-cons lack is a substantive conservative philosophy. In the 60's the disagreements among conservatives were defined by libertarian vs. Burkean thought. Frank Meyer and Bill Buckley promoted a view based on the idea that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Then Roe v. Wade created a whole new perspective in the mix followed by the neo-cons. The conservative movement is breaking apart now, fractured like a windshield hit by a stone. Conservatives may be looking at a long period in the wilderness before a new consensus can be formed and translated into electoral victory. We're back to what Buckley said about National Review when it was founded--our job is to stand athwart history yelling STOP!

Matt Hummel:
Your point is well taken. As a student of history, I am resigned to the idea of “wilderness years.” It happens. What scares me about the “Progressive” Left is the fact that they will not be content with driving us out into the wilderness. They will want something more than a temporary solution to the issue of obstructionists and others in the way. I don’t think it’s 1968 all over again. I think it’s 1789, and welcome to France. If there is anyone who doesn’t see the crazylight of Jacobinism in the eyes of Ocasio, Omar, and others, get a guide dog. And Biden will be at best a figurehead. He will be no moderating force, nor Pelosi, nor Schumer. In the later two instances, I suspect it will be like the basic SF Movie after Election Day, when the invading aliens pull off their human mask and reveal who they truly are. I suspect that only a handful of idiots really like Trump. But a whole mess of people fear what “progress” has promised to bring. And we fear it, not from lack of understanding. We fear it, because we have heard the words of its leaders, and believe them to be speaking honestly.
After having read one huge book on the Civil War last week and in the midst of reading another huge one, I'd say our divisiveness is nowhere even CLOSE to where it was in the entire 1850s. And, there you had a natural geographic differences from which you could go to war. How does a war even happen now with us all spread out all over the country and intermixed?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."