Right wing group think

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Right wing group think

Post by doodle » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:32 pm

This forum has been overrun by right wing group think. 8-10 years ago this was an incredible forum with an amazing diversity of outlooks, opinions, and intelligent discussion. I learned a lot from participating in discussions here over the years and had my mind changed and perspectives broadened on many subjects...I'm afraid those days have come and gone. R.I.P. gyroscopicnvesting...you had a good run.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Right wing group think

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:48 pm

I suppose that is somewhat to be expected given that the PP itself appeals to those who have a generally conservative viewpoint. The gold inclusion in the portfolio makes the overall strategy appeal to free market thinkers. I do have to agree that there is somewhat of a lack of diversity in viewpoints. The extent to which that is a bad thing is debatable. There are other forums on the web after all.

Personally, I do not really enjoy discussing politics generally. It is perhaps the most contentious topic in the popular psyche. The old adage that people who want to remain friends should never discuss politics or religion I think is very true. Either way, as a Canadian I do not have much to contribute to the U.S.-centric debates on this forum, so it's somewhat moot for me.

I enjoy math and math related topics such as computer science and physics. Why? Because those topics are grounded in an objective and verifiable truth. There's a foundation, a centre of gravity we can all agree on. We can make progress in these fields with the unassailable truth of mathematics. There is no such equivalence in the world of politics. Most of what people argue in the political sphere as fact is really just opinion or perspective that is primarily influenced by existing disposition and preconceived notions.

That's my take anyway.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:54 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:48 pm
I suppose that is somewhat to be expected given that the PP itself appeals to those who have a generally conservative viewpoint. The gold inclusion in the portfolio makes the overall strategy appeal to free market thinkers. I do have to agree that there is somewhat of a lack of diversity in viewpoints. The extent to which that is a bad thing is debatable. There are other forums on the web after all.

Personally, I do not really enjoy discussing politics generally. It is perhaps the most contentious topic in the popular psyche. The old adage that people who want to remain friends should never discuss politics or religion I think is very true. Either way, as a Canadian I do not have much to contribute to the U.S.-centric debates on this forum, so it's somewhat moot for me.

I enjoy math and math related topics such as computer science and physics. Why? Because those topics are grounded in an objective and verifiable truth. There's a foundation, a centre of gravity we can all agree on. We can make progress in these fields with the unassailable truth of mathematics. There is no such equivalence in the world of politics. Most of what people argue in the political sphere as fact is really just opinion or perspective that is primarily influenced by existing disposition and preconceived notions.

That's my take anyway.
And, as usual, the youngest among us speaks great wisdom!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:55 pm

Smith1776, in the United States today everything, absolutely everything including the brand of beans that you eat is political.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:37 pm

doodle wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:55 pm
Smith1776, in the United States today everything, absolutely everything including the brand of beans that you eat is political.
Somehow, the only brand of beans I eat - Goya - got caught up in it!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:21 pm

doodle wrote:
I don't doubt it. Honestly, when you mentioned the bean thing the only thing that came to mind is how good looking Ivanka Trump is. That's something we can probably all agree on. See how unifying I can be? ;D
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:22 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:54 pm

And, as usual, the youngest among us speaks great wisdom!

Vinny
No wisdom here. Just a typical millennial's misguided idealism. I appreciate the kind words though, Vinny! O0
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:50 pm

doodle wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:32 pm
This forum has been overrun by right wing group think. 8-10 years ago this was an incredible forum with an amazing diversity of outlooks, opinions, and intelligent discussion. I learned a lot from participating in discussions here over the years and had my mind changed and perspectives broadened on many subjects...I'm afraid those days have come and gone. R.I.P. gyroscopicnvesting...you had a good run.
Damn, I was thinking the same thing the past couple days, that I would either leave or just limit myself to the investing topics. It has become too much mentally, fighting about all this stuff.

Haven’t decided 100% yet, but I know there’s little to be gained discussing Trump anymore. We’ll see in about 3 months.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:58 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:21 pm
doodle wrote:
I don't doubt it. Honestly, when you mentioned the bean thing the only thing that came to mind is how good looking Ivanka Trump is. That's something we can probably all agree on. See how unifying I can be? ;D
Is bean a Canadian euphamism for something I don't know about?
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:41 am

Whats the evidence for doodle's claim that Trump defrauded contractors. Is he really in NY?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:49 am

boglerdude wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:41 am
Whats the evidence for doodle's claim that Trump defrauded contractors. Is he really in NY?
Do you consider Fox News to be a legitimate source?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dozens ... orts-claim

Dozens of lawsuits accuse Trump of not paying his bills, reports claim

A simple Bing search will reveal much more regarding this.

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:06 am

You mean there's a famous, rich landlord out there somewhere who DOESN'T have to deal with lawsuits left and right?

Real estate deals especially in NY are very tricky. A lot of issues end up in court. I could see this just from the experience of my former coop apartment. It had a complicated structure with a sponsor (the original owner of the building, still holding a fistful of apartments), and an investor who owned a few apartments and was a real estate attorney. Then there was the board headed by someone who claimed to have real estate experience, but whose main skill was to piss of a lot of people. There was a constant stream of lawsuits the whole time I was there, and that's not at all unusual. A large, complicated real estate empire like Trump's would be even more lawsuit prone.

You can call this "group think" if you like, but you'll have to explain why that label doesn't also apply to the left political wing.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:13 am

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:06 am

You can call this "group think" if you like, but you'll have to explain why that label doesn't also apply to the left political wing.
Left wing would be called " My emotions mean more to me than facts wing"

As the left mostly boils their decisions down to Emotions than anything else.
You can't argue with Emotions.
He's a Bully, He is a ____________________________..
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:26 am

shekels wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:13 am
WiseOne wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:06 am

Left wing would be called " My emotions mean more to me than facts wing"

As the left mostly boils their decisions down to Emotions than anything else.
You can't argue with Emotions.
He's a Bully, He is a ____________________________..

Nailed it!

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:00 am

doodle wrote:
Truer words have never been spoken. And the COVID lockdowns have only made things worse. I only hope it goes away soon or they come up with a successful vaccine so people can get back to doing other things than thinking about politics.

As for the preponderance of right wing thinking in this forum, or at least the expression of it, I think it might have something to do with the fact that this is one of the few places where we can express our opinions without worrying about being cancelled.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/07/22/walk ... iews-cato/
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:19 pm

pp4me wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:00 am
doodle wrote:
Truer words have never been spoken. And the COVID lockdowns have only made things worse. I only hope it goes away soon or they come up with a successful vaccine so people can get back to doing other things than thinking about politics.

As for the preponderance of right wing thinking in this forum, or at least the expression of it, I think it might have something to do with the fact that this is one of the few places where we can express our opinions without worrying about being cancelled.

Yes, that is a good reason.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:22 pm

pp4me wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:00 am
doodle wrote:

That poll is actually very positive from my viewpoint.
Those people who feel that they can't express their opinions publicly can express them privately in 103 days.
I think the leftists are going to get another shock.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am

As usual, that is more accurate and useful than anything you'll get from the Marxist media.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:38 pm

Doodle:
A lot of people like Trump not because of who he is as a person, but because of who he takes up the battle against. Yeah I know that's bad grammar. It's too much work to make it better.
I understand your concern about the forum. Libertarian666 is very strident in matters of Trump, and if you post opposing views you will hear about it. Tech, even though you and I share almost all positions, I think you are over-enthusiastic here. :)

As someone already said, group think has consumed both sides in the USA. If you otherwise like the forum, just try to ignore the political posts. Personally I really appreciate the posts from "the other side". I want to be exposed to that.

I'll spot you "Trump is a creep and a bully and yet he's better than the ones he beat" if you'll give me "Biden is a no-talent grifter and yet he's better than the ones he beat".
:)
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:42 pm

Big money commercial real estate is a snake pit. Nice people need not apply.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:10 pm

Is it okay to just be on the side of billionaire moguls with supermodel wives that happen to be the leader of the free world?
That sounds kinda cool. I would take two out of three.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:24 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:10 pm
Is it okay to just be on the side of billionaire moguls with supermodel wives that happen to be the leader of the free world?
That sounds kinda cool. I would take two out of three.
Yes, that is pretty cool. I'm sure if Ayn Rand were alive today, she would be envious of reality.
ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:46 am

doodle wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:32 pm
+1

Let me know if you find a better investing forum Doodle. I am certainly not a liberal democrat by any means, but I have to admit that I agree 100% with everything you said.

The best contributors have pretty much all left over the past decade. The really good contributors barely ever post anymore. This isn’t really surprising. Quite a few times over the past several years I have spent a long time typing up well researched investment posts and before submitting them I would think to myself... “why the hell am I even bothering? Almost everyone here these days is so closed-minded, neither of us will get any value out of it”. So I just close the browser deleting the post I spent an hour or two on. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way. Definitely a weird forum now with pretty low-value posts.

Would love to hear any recommendations for quality discussions in investing. PM might be better than posting alternatives publicly ;)
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:32 am

ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:46 am

+1

Let me know if you find a better investing forum Doodle. I am certainly not a liberal democrat by any means, but I have to admit that I agree 100% with everything you said.

The best contributors have pretty much all left over the past decade. The really good contributors barely ever post anymore. This isn’t really surprising. Quite a few times over the past several years I have spent a long time typing up well researched investment posts and before submitting them I would think to myself... “why the hell am I even bothering? Almost everyone here these days is so closed-minded, neither of us will get any value out of it”. So I just close the browser deleting the post I spent an hour or two on. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way. Definitely a weird forum now with pretty low-value posts.

Would love to hear any recommendations for quality discussions in investing. PM might be better than posting alternatives publicly ;)
Very Closed minded of them to disagree right?

https://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2020/07/ ... %EF%BB%BF/

July 23, 2020
Lorena González, President and Lisa Herbold, Public Safety Chair
Seattle City Council, City Hall
600 Fourth Ave, 2nd Floor
Seattle, WA 98104

Re: City Council Ordinance 119805 – Crowd Control Tools

Dear President González, Chairwoman Herbold, and Seattle City Council Members:

SPD has confirmed with the City Attorney’s Office that the City Council ordinance banning the use of less lethal tools – including pepper spray – commonly used to disperse crowds that have turned violent, will go into effect this weekend as written.

I am sending this notification for the purpose of ensuring I have done my due diligence of informing Council of the foreseeable impact of this ordinance on upcoming events.

It is a fact that there are groups and individuals who are intent on destruction in our City. Yes, we also have seen weeks of peaceful demonstrations, but two recent events (Sunday, July 19th and Wednesday, July 22nd) have included wide-scale property destruction and attacks on officers, injuring more than a dozen, some significantly.

This weekend we know that several events are planned across the city that will foreseeably involve many of the same violent actors from recent days. There is no reason not to assume we will continue to experience property destruction, arson, looting, and attempts to injure additional officers throughout the weekend and beyond.

With this Council ordinance, we hear loudly and clearly that the use of these less-lethal tools by SPD officers to disperse crowds that have turned violent have been completely banned by City Council.

Under these circumstances, as created by Council, we cannot manage demonstrations as we have in the past. If I am not allowed to lawfully equip officers with the tools they have been trained to use to protect the community and themselves, it would be reckless to have them confront this level of violence under the current legal restrictions imposed by Council.

Some have asked why officers are not arresting those engaging in criminal behavior, as officers do every day, and as they have in recent protests. If it is safe to do so, and even when it places their lives in danger, our officers always directly address criminal behavior. They do this, however, when they know they have the tools shown to allow the safe use of their policing powers. This Council ordinance denies them access to these tools that have been an essential part of their court-approved tactics.

We have clear, court-mandated procedures for arresting individuals, grounded in the principles of deescalation. SPD’s de-escalation principles are premised on the expectation, consistent with policy and best practices, that officers have the full array of approved tools. In large crowds, there is no safe way for officers to effect arrests when their colleagues do not have the tools necessary to protect them.

As City Council’s legislation goes into effect, it will create even more dangerous circumstances for our officers to intervene using what they have left – riot shields and riot batons.

For these reasons, SPD will have an adjusted deployment in response to any demonstrations this weekend. The Council legislation gives officers no ability to safely intercede to preserve property in the midst of a large, violent crowd. Allowing this behavior deeply troubles me, but I am duty-bound to follow the Council legislation once it is in effect. If the Council is prepared to suggest a different response or interpretation of the legislation, I stand ready to receive it.

Additionally, while the Ordinance by title suggests a limitation to crowd management purposes, the language of the Ordinance, in its blanket prohibition on the procurement and ownership of such tools, effectively eliminates these tools as available less-lethal options across the board. The bill clearly bans OC spray at any rally, demonstration or other event, despite if it turns violent.

Further, while we recognize a limited exception for the targeted use of OC spray, the exception does not realistically allow for deployment in such a manner that ensures the aerosol does not disperse onto anyone other than the intended subject. For these reasons, officers who typically deploy with OC as one of their standard less-lethal options will no longer be carrying this tool.

We continue to assess the impact of the prohibition on the procurement, ownership, and use of these tools on SWAT operations.

I believe Council can lead on de-escalation at each of these events through their voice and presence encouraging peaceful demonstrations. It remains my deep hope that once OPA and the OIG have had the opportunity to complete the analysis tasked to them, Council will engage productively with SPD and
its accountability partners to forge a meaningful path forward that provides for public safety in these unprecedented times.

Sincerely,

Carmen Best

Chief of Police
Seattle Police Department

CC
Tammy Morales, Councilmember, District 2
Kshama Sawant, Councilmember, District 3
Alex Pedersen, Councilmember, District 4
Debora Juarez, Councilmember, District 5
Dan Strauss, Councilmember, District 6
Andrew Lewis, Councilmember, District 7
Teresa Mosqueda, Councilmember, District 8, At-Large
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:11 am

shekels wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:32 am
ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:46 am

+1

Very Closed minded of them to disagree right?
Perfect response to backup my point.

Considering that I have been a registered libertarian for about 25 years, have never voted for a democrat in my life, and basically already discovered the PP allocations before I ever even heard of the PP, Harry Browne, or this forum I think you might find that I rarely disagree with the overall views on this forum.

You quickly made the assumption that my view stems from petty disagreements. There are practically none. I was referring to the quality of posts and responses.

Regardless, I was mainly referring to the INVESTING part of this forum as I have very little interest in the “Other Discussions” section outside of an investing capacity.

It certainly seems like the “Other Discussion” section is the primary interest of this entire site now and is reflected in the type of posts I see sitewide.

Just my opinion to let the OP know that he is not alone in his observations.