Biden/Harris Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by Kbg » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:43 pm

We can argue this stuff all day, but I think a fairly good test for any politician is how well did they do in elections.

Managed to beat a very unpopular Democratic nominee in the electoral college but lost the popular vote.

Lost the Republican House majority in 2018, best guess is there will be fewer Rs in the next Congress

Senate is actually in play for 2020, and right now the polls aren’t looking good for Trump. Too early to know anything at this point though.

If the Rs lose the Senate and Trump loses the White House, he will rank right up there with Jimmy Carter in the successful politician category. Bravo!

Good politicians win because the majority of their constituents vote for them, if they don’t win they’re “losers.”
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:49 am

Fake news.

Real news is from bitchute. Like these. ;)

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:41 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:49 am
Fake news.

Real news is from bitchute. Like these. ;)

Certainly looks like THE definitive source for ALL news!!!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:58 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:42 pm
pp4me wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:44 pm
flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:21 pm
It's not all about policies. It's about hiring someone to do a job.

In prior campaigns who campaigned on policies on how they'd handle a pandemic, a financial crisis, a 9/11?

Therefore I want to hire someone to do the job who has the intelligence and competence and diligence to get the job done.

Trump seems to fail on all counts.
What in your opinion are the most egregious examples of Trump's failure of leadership? What evidence can you offer to show that Biden would do a better job in those situations?

While I agree that's it's not all about policies, policies are the things that are getting implemented while everyone is distracted by the crisis du jour. So they are absolutely important (in my opinion) and shouldn't just be dismissed.

Are you (or anyone else reading this) in favor of the policies being proposed or supported by Biden/Harris?
At least here in this forum we can ask vnatale to give specific examples of what mistakes Trump made and what he thinks should have been done different.

We'll need to give it some time but so far it seems to be the strategy of the Biden/Harris campaign to not answer any such questions. Looks like they plan on sending Kamala out to rip on Trump with nothing but generalities and then refuse to answer any questions from the media.
There are now two people on the forum who have explicitly asked @vnatale to give examples of what Trump has done wrong as President. Not words, but actions.

He refuses to do so.

The obvious reason is that he has nothing: just "Orange Man Bad".

Someone so intellectually dishonest is not worth wasting any further time on, so he now joins cortopassi in my ignore list.
How about vetoing ending the genocidal war in Yemen... which is causing a cholera epidemic. I guess children puking and shitting themselves to death is a small price to pay for continued military contracts from the Saudis.

Trump should be drug out in the street and shot for this one alone...
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:39 pm

Al Gore "Celebrate" clip on The Simpsons, circa 1994:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRQ2mNwMMQ

Life imitates art:
https://twitter.com/michaelbeatty3/stat ... 6450088960
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:07 am

If you didn't watch Biden last night, his speech was pretty forceful and emotional and long.

If he is senile or has dementia, it certainly was not showing last night.

Seems to be his own man, for those who believe he is controlled by the far left.

Not looking for snarky comments, I know most here have their own hard set opinions.

But can some non-Biden supporters at least concede it was a decent speech?
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:29 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:07 am
If you didn't watch Biden last night, his speech was pretty forceful and emotional and long.

Seems to be his own man, for those who believe he is controlled by the far left.

Not looking for snarky comments, I know most here have their own hard set opinions.

I did not watch Biden's speech.
I am waiting for the Debates to watch.
Reason is, I would like to see how he does under the pressure, with not a teleprompter.
How well does he make those snap decisions.
He will have been well rehearsed beforehand, so can he carry it with him during the debates.
One more thing if they have no debates, to me it proves Biden is not up to the task of President.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:34 am

Not having debates IMO is not possible. It would generate too many questions like you say.

Big room, 1-3 moderators and the two candidates. Can be distanced as much as they want. There would be no valid reason to not debate.

If Biden balks at debating, I could see that swinging the election.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:46 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:34 am
Not having debates IMO is not possible. It would generate too many questions like you say.

Big room, 1-3 moderators and the two candidates. Can be distanced as much as they want. There would be no valid reason to not debate.

If Biden balks at debating, I could see that swinging the election.
Do you think it will swing the election if the debates are not held until after a bunch of "vote via mass distribution of unrequested mail" folks have cast their ballot? If yes, which way?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:47 am

Regarding real estate, the goal is often to have a tax loss while being cash flow positive. The magic ingredient is depreciation, which reduces taxable income but doesn't cost cash. Depreciation is additive to cash flow, in a sense.

So:
Income 100
Cash expenses 50
Depreciation 60

Net income -10
Cash flow +50

So you have more money in the bank, yet a tax loss.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:54 am

I was looking to do this as a poll, but don't see how. So anyway...

Do you think Biden is a stand in for another person?
Do you think this is a hard plan?
If so, is Biden in on it?
Or is it more that there is enough likelihood of health issues that there are contingency plans in place?
Is Harris part of the plan, or if not, why is she the VP nominee?
Or none of the above?

Maybe I'm naive, but I have a lot of trouble believing there is a hard plan in place that involve Biden stepping down.
I can believe that they are war gaming scenarios for if/when something happens to him.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:03 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:54 am

Or is it more that there is enough likelihood of health issues that there are contingency plans in place?
Or none of the above?

Maybe I'm naive, but I have a lot of trouble believing there is a hard plan in place that involve Biden stepping down.
I can believe that they are war gaming scenarios for if/when something happens to him.
I see Biden as a Weak candidate.
He has run for the office of President on several occasions and has A lot of Baggage.

I just wonder if this is a attempt to Re elect Trump on part of the Democrats.
To create more Riots/Looting/ Marxism/ possible another Civil War.
The Democrat Leaders of some of these Progressive cities have allowed Terror and promoted Civil war.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:07 am

Cortopassi wrote:

I'll take your word for it that it was a decent speech because everyone seems to be saying so. Personally, I haven't had the inner fortitude to listen to any political speech, left or right, for a long time. I didn't watch any this week and won't be watching next week either. I watched a debate between Sam Harris and Jordan Peterson on Youtube instead.

If he came off as strong as you are saying however, it confirms what I have been thinking and that is that all the talk about his senility and the video clips they've been showing were setting a low bar for him and could backfire if he managed to rise to the occasion. I expect the same thing might happen in the debates. Trump kept interrupting my Youtube last night with ads about Joe's senility so if he does just well enough and doesn't make too many mistakes he will be declared the winner and it will make Trump look bad.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:10 am

I Shrugged wrote:

Or none of the above?

I live in Delaware. I have heard Biden stories for over three decades. Personally, I think Biden could be a stand-in for almost anyone; I think there is more substance in jello thrown on a wall. :'(
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:48 am

shekels wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:29 am
Cortopassi wrote:

Reason is, I would like to see how he does under the pressure, with not a teleprompter.
He will have been well rehearsed beforehand, so can he carry it with him during the debates.
One more thing if they have no debates, to me it proves Biden is not up to the task of President.
Those "snap decisions".

That is oftentimes a favored technique during a hiring process. Testing a candidate's abilities to make "snap decisions".

Yet, how often do people need to make "snap decisions"?

It's generally a poor worker or administrator who creates an environment wherein "snap decisions" are constantly being required.

In general, I want someone who makes decisions after considering the relevant information under whatever time constraints exist.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:50 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:47 am
Regarding real estate, the goal is often to have a tax loss while being cash flow positive. The magic ingredient is depreciation, which reduces taxable income but doesn't cost cash. Depreciation is additive to cash flow, in a sense.

So:
Income 100
Cash expenses 50
Depreciation 60

Net income -10
Cash flow +50

You are overlooking the initial cash investment to acquire the capital asset which then generates depreciation. Depreciation is NOT free!

Vinny
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:59 am

I think Biden has enough public record that we know how he’s going to be and what kind of person he is. Someone looking for a moderate is likely to find it. He did lose a son in military service, that strongly suggests to me there is an ethic of public service and love of country in his family. I would say the same for the Bush and Kennedy families.

Or we could go with the Satanic narrative on Biden

Or is Trump Satan?

It’s so confusing. If only the parties would stop nominating Satan. I thought there was only one Satan, but apparently not.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:10 am

I Shrugged wrote:

Or none of the above?

Everyone knows that Biden won't be able to serve even one term, probably not even a year, if he should be elected (which God forbid).
The DNC wants to turn the country into Venezuela, and Harris would be fine with that so long as she gets to be interim dictator.
Interestingly, she was so unpopular among Democrat primary voters that she dropped out before the first vote was cast in the primaries.
So I'm sure she would be very grateful to get to be an unelected President and will do what they say.
Last edited by Libertarian666 on Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:11 am

Good speech, solid delivery. Not expecting a bump in the polls though. Biden already has a big lead so I'm not sure where he would get a bump from. The people who were still planning on voting for Trump last weekend are mostly his solid base of supporters and I doubt there will be any statistically measurable defections. My guess is most did not even bother to watch the address. I think the lines are mostly drawn at this point.

Regards the debates, I think Biden made a blunder by agreeing to them. He has nothing to gain and much to lose. Appearing on the same stage with a a man of Donald Trump's ilk is demeaning. It's like agreeing to debate David Duke. And what is the point? Trump is a pathological liar. There is absolutely nothing that the man could say that I would accept at face value. If he offered the current time or weather I'd have to get verification from a reliable source.

Biden should have said no debate until Trump releases his income taxes. That would have been the end of that.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:24 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:50 am
I Shrugged wrote:

So:
Income 100
Cash expenses 50
Depreciation 60

Net income -10
Cash flow +50

You are overlooking the initial cash investment to acquire the capital asset which then generates depreciation. Depreciation is NOT free!

Vinny
Usually borrowing is involved. If so, the return on cash invested is even higher. This is assuming things work as planned.
I realize that depreciation is not a free lunch, but the hope is that the building isn't truly depreciating at anywhere near the amount being taken. There is no depreciation on land, for anyone not familiar with these things.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:28 am

Yes Biden's speech went well, but that was expected. Not only would it have been carefully rehearsed, but the virtual format gave him a huge advantage. Alzheimer's symptoms tend to fluctuate day to day and are also variable by time of day, so they probably had him record the speech at different times & days and they picked the best one.

I agree with shekel - part of the reason for the push for voting by mail plus the delayed start to the debates is to ensure that many of the ballots are cast before the first debate takes place. A live debate will be a disaster for Biden. He was never any good at debates even before his cognitive decline. Instead, I bet the DNC will do two things. First, they'll insist on a virtual format just like the convention. Second, they'll prepare a set of pre-recorded clips in response to expected debate questions, just as was done with his speech. The debate questions will be carefully orchestrated, since it's usually a mainstream media representative who moderates and of course they'll be only too happy to tailor the debate in Biden's favor.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:44 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:48 am
shekels wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

Those "snap decisions".

That is oftentimes a favored technique during a hiring process. Testing a candidate's abilities to make "snap decisions".

It's generally a poor worker or administrator who creates an environment wherein "snap decisions" are constantly being required.

In general, I want someone who makes decisions after considering the relevant information under whatever time constraints exist.

Vinny
I agree snap decisions are not often made, but what if you had to make one?
You would use your insights/ego and you experiences to make the decision.

Closing down borders from China/ Europe because Corona for instance.
When did Trump make that choice compared to Biden?
How much time is needed to protect people and property.

Granted, if you have Time it is best to look and make a reasonable decision from the information available.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:52 am

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:28 am
Yes Biden's speech went well, but that was expected. Not only would it have been carefully rehearsed, but the virtual format gave him a huge advantage. Alzheimer's symptoms tend to fluctuate day to day and are also variable by time of day, so they probably had him record the speech at different times & days and they picked the best one.

I agree with shekel - part of the reason for the push for voting by mail plus the delayed start to the debates is to ensure that many of the ballots are cast before the first debate takes place. A live debate will be a disaster for Biden. He was never any good at debates even before his cognitive decline. Instead, I bet the DNC will do two things. First, they'll insist on a virtual format just like the convention. Second, they'll prepare a set of pre-recorded clips in response to expected debate questions, just as was done with his speech. The debate questions will be carefully orchestrated, since it's usually a mainstream media representative who moderates and of course they'll be only too happy to tailor the debate in Biden's favor.
Are you saying you don't think the speech was live?! There were reporters in the room.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:19 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:24 am
vnatale wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:50 am
I Shrugged wrote:

So:
Income 100
Cash expenses 50
Depreciation 60

Net income -10
Cash flow +50

Vinny
Usually borrowing is involved. If so, the return on cash invested is even higher. This is assuming things work as planned.
I realize that depreciation is not a free lunch, but the hope is that the building isn't truly depreciating at anywhere near the amount being taken. There is no depreciation on land, for anyone not familiar with these things.
You are correct that there is no depreciation on land.

But continuing on your example.

You bought the property strictly on credit for $1,200,000 and are depreciating it for 20 years to arrive at your $60,000 per year. And, you also borrowed for 20 years, also paying an equivalent $60,000 in principal payments per year.

Put that back into your example and DURING those 20 years and BEFORE you sell the property, you have a negative cash flow of $10,000 per year or $200,000 total over the twenty years.

Again, how did genius Trump get an in excess over $1 billion tax loss while somehow turning this into something good?

I've dealt with a lot of businesses that attribute their problems to "cash flow". I tell them all their problems would have been solved if a magic six letter sentence had existed in their business - P-R-O-F-I-T!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:21 am

shekels wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:44 am
vnatale wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:48 am
shekels wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

Those "snap decisions".

Vinny
I agree snap decisions are not often made, but what if you had to make one?
You would use your insights/ego and you experiences to make the decision.

Closing down borders from China/ Europe because Corona for instance.
When did Trump make that choice compared to Biden?
How much time is needed to protect people and property.

Granted, if you have Time it is best to look and make a reasonable decision from the information available.
I definitely would NOT agree that is an example wherein a "snap decision" was required. Maybe his style of dealing with problems ended up appearing that was his only choice of decision making at that point.

Vinny