Apple News App - delete racial justice section?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Apple News App - delete racial justice section?

Post by dualstow »

I can’t find much in the official Apple support forums.
Does anyone know how to remove the Racial Justice section with the black square?
Any way to hide it?
(ipadOS)
🍍
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Apple News App - delete racial justice section?

Post by shekels »

Did you see the new
COVID-19 contact tracing app yet?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

shekels wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:13 am Did you see the new
which one? I sense a joke coming on. O0
Citizen app updates me on covid with pleasant sounds.
🍍
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

dualstow wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:21 am I can’t find much in the official Apple support forums.
Does anyone know how to remove the Racial Justice section with the black square?
Any way to hide it?
(ipadOS)
Hopefully trying to do that isn't enough to get you fired or charged with a hate crime....

I hope for all our sakes this is a safer, if not safe, space! So far, all the people who have been fired because of social media posts did so under accounts in which their identities were public, e.g. facebook. Anyone know of any cases in which forums like this, where your identity is not made public, have resulted in people being prosecuted or fired?

In the meantime maybe we should brush up on techniques used by Chinese citizens to "comment" on social media without getting caught. Like, putting their own words into the famous Star Wars opening scene with a written paragraph zooming into the distance.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Covid 19

If you have an Android phone, go under Settings, then GOOGLE settings and it’s there.
If you have an iPhone, go to settings, privacy, then health.

Further, you can’t even turn on the option without choosing to install a participating app which activates the exposure notifications, the outlet reported.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronav ... 94062.html
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I ended up deleting the app.
🍍
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

dualstow wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:08 pm I ended up deleting the app.

Great, they can put a lot of crap on your device that you can"t delete.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

dualstow wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:45 am
Attachments
I Had A Joke About COVID .jpg
I Had A Joke About COVID .jpg (23.71 KiB) Viewed 4523 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

shekels wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:15 pm
{ Covid Joke }
"I don't have any jokes about premature ejaculation but I hear that's coming very soon."
-- Mel Brooks in History of the World, Part I
🍍
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

shekels wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:15 pm
What about

Did you hear the new COVID joke? Pretty much everybody gets it, but it only really kills with 0.03% of the audience.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

dualstow wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:23 pm

"I don't have any jokes about premature ejaculation but I hear that's coming very soon."
-- Mel Brooks in History of the World, Part I
I Love Mel Brooks
Attachments
heres-to-all-of-us-that-grew-up-on-mel-62143874.png
heres-to-all-of-us-that-grew-up-on-mel-62143874.png (108.86 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Coincidentally, today seems to be the first day that my Apple News app on iOS doesn’t show the Covid-19 and racial justice banners at the top. I don’t think I changed any settings; they just went away.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Tortoise wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:09 pm Coincidentally, today seems to be the first day that my Apple News app on iOS doesn’t show the Covid-19 and racial justice banners at the top. I don’t think I changed any settings; they just went away.
So it's not that they're not at the top- they're totally gone? I don't use the Apple news app that often. Today was the first time I opened it in several weeks. So I saw those sections today (EST). Weird. I'll redownload tomorrow and see.
🍍
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

dualstow wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:31 pm
Tortoise wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:09 pm Coincidentally, today seems to be the first day that my Apple News app on iOS doesn’t show the Covid-19 and racial justice banners at the top. I don’t think I changed any settings; they just went away.
So it's not that they're not at the top- they're totally gone? I don't use the Apple news app that often. Today was the first time I opened it in several weeks. So I saw those sections today (EST). Weird. I'll redownload tomorrow and see.
Yeah, the banners seem to have gone away completely in the iOS app. I also checked the app on my wife's iPad just now, and I don't see the banners there either.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Weird, I still have them ipadOS. Well, had them before I deleted the app once again.
🍍
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Great idea guys! Let's all enjoy a viewing of Blazing Saddles over the weekend. By streaming service of course, just so they know there are some non-snowflakes out there.

While you're at it, check out this WSJ article today:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/justice-de ... jem10point

For those suffering from paywall limitations, here's a quick summary: An Asian-American group sued Yale over discriminatory admissions practices, because the proportion of Asian applicants admitted to Yale is far less than other races (notably Blacks). Further, both whites and Asians are less likely to be admitted than blacks with similar qualifications. The Justice department is investigating and have told Yale that their affirmative action program has be more "narrowly tailored" whatever that means.

This is going to be quite the story....isn't this exactly what affirmative action is all about? Lowering admission standards for applicants of certain favored races? If that proves to be discriminatory as the Asian group claims, this will be quite a turnaround.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

dualstow wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:02 am Weird, I still have them ipadOS. Well, had them before I deleted the app once again.
Sorry about that! 😂

I have no idea what’s going on with the banners in the Apple News app. In any case, I don’t blame you for deleting the app. The banners (especially the racial justice one) have been obnoxious since Day 1. Just give me the news without pre-chewing and pre-digesting it for me. I can form my own opinions.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

The banners apparently came back to Apple News in my iOS app, but the racial justice one has been replaced by this one:
Election 2020
The coronavirus dominates the campaign. Plus, the latest polls and a guide to voting.
Funny how in the banner itself, before you even click on it to read headlines and articles, they’re telling you that the most important issue in the election this year is the coronavirus. Not the economy (slammed by unconstitutional Democratic lockdowns), not the BLM/Antifa riots (encouraged and perpetuated by Democratic mayors, governors, and DAs)... it’s the coronavirus. ::)
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

You'd enjoy one of Tim Pool's recent "Timcasts", where he discusses that very issue. That is, the Democrats are trying their hardest to emphasize how badly Trump handled the coronavirus, while drawing attention away from issues that the voters actually say are most important to them: the economy and security/safety.

I'm given to wonder though. What should Trump have done differently? And what have the Democrats done, or wanted to do, that was so much better? I answered a similar question previously: I think Trump should have established guiding principles for lockdowns on a national level, thus codifying something similar to Sweden's approach. This would be a light touch on the economy and stringent measures to protect the elderly and nursing homes. Basically the polar opposite of what New York did.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I’m lovin Tim Pool. I thank Kriegs for that.
🍍
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

dualstow wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:19 pm I’m lovin Tim Pool. I thank Kriegs for that.
THIS PLEASES ME
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

dualstow wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:19 pm I’m lovin Tim Pool. I thank Kriegs for that.
+1
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:40 pm
THIS PLEASES ME
How would you characterize his views?

Vinny

Views
Pool's political commentary since the 2016 United States presidential election has been variously described as left-wing[36] and right-wing.[37] He has described himself as a social liberal who supported Bernie Sanders in 2016. According to Politico, Pool's "views on issues including social media bias and immigration often align with conservatives'".[38] According to Al Jazeera, "Pool has amplified claims that conservative media endure persecution and bias at the hands of tech companies."[39] On August 24, 2020, Pool announced his support for President Trump in the 2020 United States presidential election.[40]
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

vnatale wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:51 pm
THIS PLEASES ME
He seems to be a somewhat tepid liberal Democrat from a couple decades ago.
Views
Pool's political commentary since the 2016 United States presidential election has been variously described as left-wing[36] and right-wing.[37] He has described himself as a social liberal who supported Bernie Sanders in 2016.
LOL. Tim's talked several times about how his wikipedia page listed him as an "inventor of the zeppelin" or something like that. He said he repeatedly tried to get it taken off, but he couldn't, because it was supported by a news article. His whole thing is about showing how journalists have become full blown political activists and liars, so that is kinda comical. The wikipedia article is an example of the type of misleading journalism he highlights, because it says he's DESCRIBED as left wing or right wing, not that HE IS. So, since Vice wrote an article with the headline Trump Invites Fringe Social Media Company Popular With Nazis to the White House and mentioned Tim Pool in it, it's fair game to put on wikipedia. The wikipedia article says Tim Pool is right wing because of one sentence in a biased opinion piece in a Vice article. Think about all the trash articles that get put out nowadays; you can add to wikipedia articles and support it with them.
According to Politico, Pool's "views on issues including social media bias and immigration often align with conservatives'".[38] According to Al Jazeera, "Pool has amplified claims that conservative media endure persecution and bias at the hands of tech companies."[39] On August 24, 2020, Pool announced his support for President Trump in the 2020 United States presidential election.[40]
I'm pretty sure his stance on immigration is most like that of Democrats from a few decades ago up to the Obama administration. He often says he's been left behind by the Democrat parties extreme lurch leftward. And as far as his view on social media bias aligning with conservatives, that's just because conservatives are correct, he has many videos where he shows why he thinks so. People who don't think social media is biased towards the left is ignorant. I mean, this is from today:
1234.png
1234.png (151.93 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
twit.png
twit.png (359.49 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
123.png
123.png (385.22 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
Since leftist media (the NYT, in this case) is doing everything it can to protect BLM/Antifa, facebook "fact checkers" like former Asst. Press Secretary/Asst. to the Chair for the DNC and Nancy Pelosi fan Liz Bourgeois suppress information, and tell facebook users what they're allowed to read about, or just telling them that it's fake. Project Veritas exposed the third-party fact checkers facebook uses, using hidden cameras, saying they just delete pro-Trump posts even if they don't violate facebook's terms of service (I found out about that PV stuff via, of course, Tim Pool).

If you were just trolling with the wikipedia stuff... then kudos to you.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:29 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:51 pm
THIS PLEASES ME
He seems to be a somewhat tepid liberal Democrat from a couple decades ago.
Views
Pool's political commentary since the 2016 United States presidential election has been variously described as left-wing[36] and right-wing.[37] He has described himself as a social liberal who supported Bernie Sanders in 2016.
LOL. Tim's talked several times about how his wikipedia page listed him as an "inventor of the zeppelin" or something like that. He said he repeatedly tried to get it taken off, but he couldn't, because it was supported by a news article. His whole thing is about showing how journalists have become full blown political activists and liars, so that is kinda comical. The wikipedia article is an example of the type of misleading journalism he highlights, because it says he's DESCRIBED as left wing or right wing, not that HE IS. So, since Vice wrote an article with the headline Trump Invites Fringe Social Media Company Popular With Nazis to the White House and mentioned Tim Pool in it, it's fair game to put on wikipedia. The wikipedia article says Tim Pool is right wing because of one sentence in a biased opinion piece in a Vice article. Think about all the trash articles that get put out nowadays; you can add to wikipedia articles and support it with them.
According to Politico, Pool's "views on issues including social media bias and immigration often align with conservatives'".[38] According to Al Jazeera, "Pool has amplified claims that conservative media endure persecution and bias at the hands of tech companies."[39] On August 24, 2020, Pool announced his support for President Trump in the 2020 United States presidential election.[40]
I'm pretty sure his stance on immigration is most like that of Democrats from a few decades ago up to the Obama administration. He often says he's been left behind by the Democrat parties extreme lurch leftward. And as far as his view on social media bias aligning with conservatives, that's just because conservatives are correct, he has many videos where he shows why he thinks so. People who don't think social media is biased towards the left is ignorant. I mean, this is from today:
1234.png
twit.png
123.png
Since leftist media (the NYT, in this case) is doing everything it can to protect BLM/Antifa, facebook "fact checkers" like former Asst. Press Secretary/Asst. to the Chair for the DNC and Nancy Pelosi fan Liz Bourgeois suppress information, and tell facebook users what they're allowed to read about, or just telling them that it's fake. Project Veritas exposed the third-party fact checkers facebook uses, using hidden cameras, saying they just delete pro-Trump posts even if they don't violate facebook's terms of service (I found out about that PV stuff via, of course, Tim Pool).

If you were just trolling with the wikipedia stuff... then kudos to you.
No. I'd read the references to him here. And, did a Bing search on him to find out more about him. First thing that came up was the Wikipedia entry. So read it all and the ending part was his Views. Wanted to bring it back here to see whether anyone here was or was not agreement on his "described" views.

We do or did have a prodigious wikipedia editor here in this forum?

It seemed to be a relatively short wikipedia by the standards of much longer ones I've read. That would seem to indicate that there is not that much interest in him right now which, I assume, would lead to not as many people being interested in making certain all about him that was stated there was totally accurate.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."