Alexander Hamilton on Immigration

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Alexander Hamilton on Immigration

Post by stuper1 »

I just ran across an interesting piece describing Alexander Hamilton's views on immigration. Basically, he thought it should be very limited. He said look what happened to American Indian culture due to unlimited immigration. It didn't work out very well for the Indians he said.

I have never seen the Broadway musical Hamilton. I'm curious to know whether the musical purports to give Mr. Hamilton's views on immigration? I'm guessing that if it does, that it is not a very accurate portrayal. I'm guessing they would portray him as welcoming every wretched foreigner who needs a new home to our shores. Does anyone know about the musical's view of immigration?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Alexander Hamilton on Immigration

Post by Xan »

I don't believe it addresses his views on immigration directly. But it does very directly say that Hamilton himself was an immigrant, which is completely disingenuous.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Alexander Hamilton on Immigration

Post by Kriegsspiel »

stuper1 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:39 pm I just ran across an interesting piece describing Alexander Hamilton's views on immigration. Basically, he thought it should be very limited. He said look what happened to American Indian culture due to unlimited immigration. It didn't work out very well for the Indians he said.
Have you seen this? The voice acting is Hilarious.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.