Cullen notices the price of lumber

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Cullen notices the price of lumber

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Have you checked out lumber prices lately? Prices have TRIPLED since the March bottom. It’s one of the most interesting economic developments since the pandemic started.
link
Funny, last night hanging out with some peeps, one of them was talking about how lumber was insanely expensive compared to when he started fixing up his house last year. Luckily the only thing I'm considering, lumber-wise, are some simple raised beds. Anyone working on projects?
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Cullen notices the price of lumber

Post by boglerdude »

Just started researching hardwood flooring :/
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:28 pm
Have you checked out lumber prices lately? Prices have TRIPLED since the March bottom. It’s one of the most interesting economic developments since the pandemic started.
link
Funny, last night hanging out with some peeps, one of them was talking about how lumber was insanely expensive compared to when he started fixing up his house last year. Luckily the only thing I'm considering, lumber-wise, are some simple raised beds. Anyone working on projects?
We are always remodeling something.

We don't flip houses, we just roll them :)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit »

I was just thinking today about some places inflation is showing up. Hopefully these are all temporary spikes from supply chain trouble .

Used and new cars are definitely more expensive than a year ago. I think even 20% higher.

Computers. Same computer on sale last year. On sale now for 20% more.

Another one, even if reason is expected is ammo and guns.

I really haven't paid a ton of attention to food prices. Fast food seems stable. Beef might be a bit higher at grocery store. Thankfully food seems pretty stable overall.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

As of a month or so ago, treated lumber for building decks was backordered. People are doing home improvement projects left and right.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

whatchamacallit wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:27 pm I was just thinking today about some places inflation is showing up. Hopefully these are all temporary spikes from supply chain trouble .

Used and new cars are definitely more expensive than a year ago. I think even 20% higher.

Computers. Same computer on sale last year. On sale now for 20% more.

Another one, even if reason is expected is ammo and guns.

I really haven't paid a ton of attention to food prices. Fast food seems stable. Beef might be a bit higher at grocery store. Thankfully food seems pretty stable overall.
What I've noticed for food prices is that a lot of items I'd buy a ton of whenever they frequently went on sale are seemingly NEVER going on sale!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I've been keeping a pricebook for several years now, and my staple food costs have remained about the same. For instance, I bought eggs for $1.49 in February, which is the same price I bought them for 3 years ago. I've been buying Optimum Nutrition whey protein for over a decade, and it's had essentially the same price the whole time. Meat is about the same price too. With meat especially, when I see it at certain prices I stock up with a couple weeks worth, in which time I'll usually see another good deal and stock up again. Milk also fluctuates wildly. Heavy cream I'm consistently buying for cheaper than I was years ago.

This is granular data though, since I've lived in a few different locations and shop at different stores and with smarter methods. YMMV.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.