Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Battle the Credit Bureaus ... and Win

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:01 pm

Battle the Credit Bureaus ... and Win

Whether you’re contesting an error or combating fraud, use our guide to give yourself the best shot at success.

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/credi ... d-win.html

An excellent, highly comprehensive article.

A few nights ago I did go to annualcreditreport.com. I was puzzled that for all its identifying questions each of them had NOTHING to do with me and I therefore had to keep answering "None of the Above". At the end of the process I was told it could not supply me with online reports. I could not tell if I AM going to be receiving these in the mail.

Reading this in the article surprised me:

"(accounts in good standing continue to appear on your reports for about 10 years after they’re shut down)"

I cannot tell from this if the closed accounts do show up on the report as "closed".

That was my primary motivation for requesting the reports: To find out how many active credit cards that I have.

Over the last five decades I've had so many credit cards. Many of them have been closed because of inactivity but I've not created any system for keeping track of those. Therefore as I write this I have zero idea how many open credit cards I have. 10? 20? More?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Battle the Credit Bureaus ... and Win

Post by boglerdude » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:33 am

why so many
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:44 am

boglerdude wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:33 am
why so many
Usually better rewards. Also, many have given a bonus for charging so much on the card within the first three months.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:00 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:01 pm
A few nights ago I did go to annualcreditreport.com. I was puzzled that for all its identifying questions each of them had NOTHING to do with me and I therefore had to keep answering "None of the Above".
Same here. When I've occasionally been asked a series of challenge questions on the credit bureau web sites, the correct answer to 90+% of the questions (sometimes all of them) is "none of the above." Not sure why they designed it that way.
vnatale wrote:
Over the last five decades I've had so many credit cards. Many of them have been closed because of inactivity but I've not created any system for keeping track of those. Therefore as I write this I have zero idea how many open credit cards I have. 10? 20? More?
You must receive an obscene amount of junk mail.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:01 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:00 pm
vnatale wrote:
A few nights ago I did go to annualcreditreport.com. I was puzzled that for all its identifying questions each of them had NOTHING to do with me and I therefore had to keep answering "None of the Above".
Same here. When I've occasionally been asked a series of challenge questions on the credit bureau web sites, the correct answer to 90+% of the questions (sometimes all of them) is "none of the above." Not sure why they designed it that way.
vnatale wrote:
You must receive an obscene amount of junk mail.
I seek it out!

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:10 pm

Everybody seems to be providing free credit reports nowadays including Turbo Tax and Credit Karma so why is it so hard to get? Even the credit bureaus are required to provide one free report per year plus anytime you get declined due to information on the report. At least that used to be the law when I was in the business.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:43 pm

pp4me wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:10 pm
Everybody seems to be providing free credit reports nowadays including Turbo Tax and Credit Karma so why is it so hard to get? Even the credit bureaus are required to provide one free report per year plus anytime you get declined due to information on the report. At least that used to be the law when I was in the business.
Do they provide them online or via the mail?

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:01 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:43 pm
pp4me wrote:

Vinny
Turbo Tax and Credit Karma are online. The bureaus used to be through the mail but I suspect theirs are online too nowadays.

Both Turbo Tax and Credit Karma will tell you what factors are affecting your score the most so that can be very useful.

Having a lot of open accounts with zero balance might not be having as much of an impact as you think. Actually, in calculating the percentage of available credit that you are using it would have a positive effect.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:37 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:01 am
vnatale wrote:
pp4me wrote:

Vinny
Turbo Tax and Credit Karma are online. The bureaus used to be through the mail but I suspect theirs are online too nowadays.

Both Turbo Tax and Credit Karma will tell you what factors are affecting your score the most so that can be very useful.

Having a lot of open accounts with zero balance might not be having as much of an impact as you think. Actually, in calculating the percentage of available credit that you are using it would have a positive effect.
I am regularly getting my credit card score via a few of my credit cards. It's the whole credit report that I'm after just to make sure there is no activity on any cards I'm no longer using or never used.

VInny
PrimalToker

Post by PrimalToker » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:09 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:37 pm
pp4me wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:01 am
vnatale wrote:
pp4me wrote:

Vinny

I am regularly getting my credit card score via a few of my credit cards. It's the whole credit report that I'm after just to make sure there is no activity on any cards I'm no longer using or never used.

VInny
Experian allows you to make an account and check online for free. Credit Karma is your Vantage score, similar but not exactly as FICO, it's supposed to be more modern and you can check your credit report weekly.