How would you grade Warren Buffet?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

How would you grade Warren Buffet?

Post by vnatale »

Now that 2019 is well over, what grade would you give Warren Buffet for his admonitions for 2019?

Vinny

Warren Buffett’s 10 Nuggets of Investing Wisdom: 2019

https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2019/02/28 ... tter-2019/
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How would you grade Warren Buffet?

Post by glennds »

See the post in the other sub-forum about Ray Dalio and P/E's don't matter. There is a part in the interview where they talk about the decoupling as it were, between asset (stock) prices and earnings.

If we are in a world where debt and equity asset prices and debt and equity markets in general are being driven by anti-deflationary a/k/a reinflation practices by central banks, then the world may have shifted such that Warren Buffett's approach to value investing is no longer relevant.
I can't say for sure this is the case, but it might explain why he has repeatedly declared the challenges (read inability) to find purchases in recent years.

Think about it, at re-inflated prices, how many companies will show a balance sheet calculated intrinsic value higher than trading capitalization? Not many.

My $.02
Last edited by glennds on Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Oh hey, Warren and I have the same size financial fortress! 18%!

*High gives Warren*
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:29 pm Now that 2019 is well over, what grade would you give Warren Buffet for his admonitions for 2019?

Vinny

This kind of article cracks me up.

Really, who has the balls to think they can "grade" Warren Buffet?

I can probably advise a mid sized company CEO on a few small points. And on occasion, I do. But I have no frickin idea how the billionaire game is played, and if I ever tried to give advice in that arena, I hope the men in white suits carry me away and feed me green jello.

Mark
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:16 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:29 pm Now that 2019 is well over, what grade would you give Warren Buffet for his admonitions for 2019?

Vinny

I can probably advise a mid sized company CEO on a few small points. And on occasion, I do. But I have no frickin idea how the billionaire game is played, and if I ever tried to give advice in that arena, I hope the men in white suits carry me away and feed me green jello.

Mark
The question was how you'd grade his "advice" for 2019. You would need to click through the slide show at the top to see each of the 10 pieces of "advice".

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:22 pm
The question was how you'd grade his "advice" for 2019. You would need to click through the slide show at the top to see each of the 10 pieces of "advice".

Vinny
I got your jello right here Vinny.

What do you think you're reading?
Swallow. That's a good boy...
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Mark Leavy wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:16 pm

Vinny

Mark
I can grade him.

My understanding is that he has had one major win, which was his investing in GEICO, and if you eliminate that from his results, he's nothing special, even including the sweetheart deals he got during the Great Recession.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Buffet born in the ghetto would be a different story. we don't know.

Whats most interesting is he couldve retired long ago. The human animal likes (needs?) to fight