Facebook’s Libra Is A Great Concept And Zuckerberg Is A Hero For Pursuing It

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:15 pm

Steve Forbes seems to make a strong case for Libra. Are you swayed by it?

Vinny

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveforbe ... 4c526a36a8

And this gets to the real reason the idea of Libra is so troubling to so many politicians, government bureaucrats, banks and economists the world over: Libra could do to central banks what Uber and Lyft did to the taxi cartels—bust up their monopolies, or, to coin a phrase, give them a run for their money.

Libra would be backed by a basket of currencies and gilt-edged financial instruments, thereby overcoming the biggest flaw of other cryptocurrencies today—their instability. Four thousand years of experience demonstrates that gold would be the best tie, but Libra’s basket would still be vastly superior to anything else out there.

When Libra is up and running, a Facebook user could obtain a digital wallet called Calibra and could then send units of Libra to another Calibra wallet-holder anywhere in the world. The results would be instantly revolutionary. Under our current system, it’s expensive to wire money across borders, not to mention the hours or days it takes for funds to clear. Banks would be cut out of the process entirely!

What a combination Libra offers: convenience and currency stability.

Another enormous plus is that such a digital and mobile system would easily open up accessible banking services to the nearly 1 billion people worldwide and the 14 million in the U.S. who don’t have bank accounts. Amazingly—and unknown to most of the world—such digital banking has blossomed in Kenya, where millions of people, in response to the country’s lack of traditional bank branches and services, do their banking, in effect, via their mobile devices. China is also light-years ahead of the U.S. when it comes to digital transactions.

PROMOTED
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Facebook’s Libra Is A Great Concept And Zuckerberg Is A Hero For Pursuing It

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:21 pm

I definitely would not be an early adopter. And if it became popular, I see the USA and other governments essentially taking it over. Probably leading to a world currency.

Buy gold. :)
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Facebook’s Libra Is A Great Concept And Zuckerberg Is A Hero For Pursuing It

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:24 am

I trust Facebook almost as much as I trust gas station sushi.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:27 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:24 am
I trust Facebook almost as much as I trust gas station sushi.
That is a total insult to gas station sushi. ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:35 pm

Facebook Needs Trump Even More Than Trump Needs Facebook

Employees fear Zuckerberg’s commitment to free speech is more about protecting the president than the company’s ideals.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... sinessweek
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."