Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

This May Shock You: The Electoral College Is Essential For Our Politics

Post by vnatale » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:57 am

This May Shock You: The Electoral College Is Essential For Our Politics

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveforbe ... 035670631b

But the basic two-party arrangement we take for granted exists only because of the Electoral College. To win the presidency, a candidate has to appeal to people across the country. A nationwide coalition is essential to gaining a majority in the Electoral College. A narrow sectional or special-interest base simply won’t cut it. That’s why our parties are collections of many diverse interests and backgrounds, reflecting the character of this continental nation whose citizens, or forebears, have come from all corners of the world and reflect a wide array of cultures and beliefs. It’s why supporters of the Democratic and Republican parties are so often uneasy with one another. GOP voters in the Northeast, for instance, who tend to emphasize economic issues such as low taxes, are put off by social conservatives.

The system puts a premium on moderation. Yes, candidates can advocate bold programs, but they have to do so in ways that don’t alienate more tepid members of their party, not to mention independent voters. A radical idea usually goes through what might be called a marinating process, during which time people become accustomed to the notion, and even then it has often become a watered-down version of the original.

The Electoral College’s systemic bias for softening the rough, potentially dangerous edges of national politics has enabled us for over two centuries to debate and resolve even bitterly contentious issues without tearing apart the country and leaving wounds that can fester for generations. The exception, of course, was the issue of slavery. Otherwise, the tendency to move toward moderation and inclusion has held.

Unlike the two-party system the Electoral College fosters today, there would be numerous candidates competing in a national election. More basic and ominous is that in contrast to the moderating bias of the Electoral College, a direct

popular-vote system would put a premium on inflaming passions to gin up support for candidates in a crowded field.

Of course, if no aspirant reached a certain threshold—and what level should that be: 40%? 50%?—there would have to be a runoff. Since there would be so many candidates vying to occupy 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, one could easily envision elections in which the runoff would be between two extremist candidates who each received, say, 10% of the vote in the first round. To win a runoff, contenders would have to bargain with the field’s losers for support in the final round. The horse-trading and outright payoffs this new system would encourage would make today’s political bargaining look tame in comparison.

Then, of course, you would have crucial, nitty-gritty details to resolve. Who would police the 175,000 voting districts to avoid chicanery? Who would ensure that absentee ballots were not tampered with? All of this could involve a major expansion in the central government’s power. Each state today has its own rules for voting. Some states, for example, encourage early voting; others do not. Under a direct-voting system, these rules would have to be uniform—again, another extension of Washington’s power.

Democrats hate the Electoral College because in both the 2000 and 2016 elections they lost the White House even though their candidates received more popular votes than their GOP opponents. This ignores the fact that if the College hadn’t existed during those contests, the candidates would have waged entirely different kinds of campaigns. Donald Trump, for instance, would not have taken precious time near the end of the campaign to visit Maine in the hope of garnering an electoral vote in a congressional district (which he did).

Our Founders knew exactly what they were doing when they created the Electoral College. We ignore their wisdom at our peril.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: This May Shock You: The Electoral College Is Essential For Our Politics

Post by Kbg » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Some issues are really old...and all of this was specifically so Boston, NYC and Philadelphia (at the time) wouldn't control the entire country.

The following is sort of an end run being attempted...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... te_Compact

I don't see the electoral college or the Senate ever going away...it would be completely stupid for the large majority of states to agree to either.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:06 pm

A side issue to this is, we shouldn't get worked up when a person gets elected president while losing the popular vote. If the popular vote was what counted, the campaigns would be quite a bit different. They would concentrate on the big states. And people who live in a rock solid red or blue state would have different voting motivations than they do under the current system. Meaning, a Republican in California today might vote for a third party just to do it. But if the popular vote mattered, they'd likely vote Republican.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:15 pm

What about proportional electoral college? A couple states do that already, so there must be some constitutional way around the normal method?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:23 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:15 pm
What about proportional electoral college? A couple states do that already, so there must be some constitutional way around the normal method?
Constitutionally, I believe the states have wide latitude for how to assign electors. The traditional method is that a state chooses to maximize its voice by assigning all its electors to the most popular choice within the state. But there are certainly other ways to do it.

The "popular vote compact" undermines things fairly badly. It would grant a state's electors to a candidate whom that state rejected. It represents an agreement among the states which (IIRC) is specifically forbidden by the Constitution.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:40 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Yes, any state that wants to award their electoral votes proportionately is free to do so.
And I heartily recommend that California lead the way by awarding their votes that way.
In fact, I wonder why they haven't done that already, if they're so concerned about "some votes not counting"?
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:47 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:40 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Yes, any state that wants to award their electoral votes proportionately is free to do so.
And I heartily recommend that California lead the way by awarding their votes that way.
In fact, I wonder why they haven't done that already, if they're so concerned about "some votes not counting"?
That’s a good point. That alone would make WAY more states competitive and likely to be campaigned in more. I got back from a state that is more competitive than the one I live in. Where I live you hardly see anything about the election. In this state there were political commercials nonstop. It was striking how different it was.