Woke content

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Woke content

Post by glennds »

There is industry chatter that the Netflix pipeline of productions was stopped a few months ago after the George Floyd killing. The reason - to re-shoot scenes for introduction of "woke" content and diversity.

This comes at the same time as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced new rules that before a film can be considered for Best Picture category, it must conform to criteria including demonstration of sufficient diversity. Movies must include a desirable number of people from various ethnic and social groups including women, people of color, LGBTQ and people with disabilities.

At one time being a suspected Communist could get you blacklisted from Hollywood. Now being insufficiently "woke" can potentially do the same thing. Think about the number of Oscar winning movies that under this new criteria would not even be considered.

It will be interesting to see how content is noticeably different in the coming months as a result of this new influence. I am already seeing it in advertising and some TV content.

Sad commentary on the erosion of artistic freedom.
Last edited by glennds on Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Woke content

Post by pp4me »

glennds wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:30 am There is industry chatter that the Netflix pipeline of productions was stopped a few months ago after the George Floyd killing. The reason - to re-shoot scenes for introduction of "woke" content and diversity.

This comes at the same time as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced new rules that before a film can be considered for Best Picture category, it must conform to criteria including demonstration of sufficient diversity. Movies must include a desirable number of people from various ethnic and social groups including women, people of color, LGBTQ and people with disabilities.

At one time being a suspected Communist could get you blacklisted from Hollywood. Now being insufficiently "woke" can potentially do the same thing. Think about the number of Oscar winning movies that under this new criteria would not even be considered.

It will be interesting to see how content is noticeably different in the coming months as a result of this new influence. I am already seeing it in advertising and some TV content.
I saw Mark Stein on Tucker Carlson the other day and he was pointing out how we used to mock the Soviet Union for doing exactly this kind of thing. I guess what's left of it can now turn around and mock us for going down the same path.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Guess we won't be seeing films like this anymore....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0swAKS-5qA
&
Superman giving investing advice at 15min 35 sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA1SPhGhvHU
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Hollywood has been moving steadily in this direction for decades, and I had noticed it accelerating over the past 10 years or so. I guess they finally decided to make it mandatory instead of optional.

Ultimately it will hurt their bottom line, and my guess is that some “less woke” studios will form and pick up some of the $20 bills on the ground by producing movies and TV shows that don’t ram leftist politics down viewers’ throats.

They probably won’t be nominated for many Oscars or Emmys, but most people won’t care.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

This doesn't bother me nearly as much as the prospect of content from ages past that violate "woke" standards being censured. I haven't seen or heard of anything recently that's worth watching anyway.

So glad that at least as of now, there is no shortage of movies & shows from the 1960s and 70s to enjoy. Old episodes of Doctor Who, Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks films, Get Smart, The Prisoner, many others. They are irreplaceable now!!