Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Low carb may now be USDA approved!

Post by WiseOne » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:58 am

https://www.wsj.com/articles/should-ame ... jem10point

"Low-carb advocates believe the current guidelines—which recommend Americans get about half their calories from carbohydrates—are partly to blame for America’s high rates of obesity and Type 2 diabetes. Lining up against them are supporters of plant-based diets, among others, who argue that low-carb diets often include too much saturated fat from meat and dairy products and neglect important sources of nutrients like fruit, certain vegetables and whole grains.

During heated public hearings over the past 18 months, low-carb advocates pushed to include a low-carb diet option in the new dietary guidelines, which the government is expected to finalize in December. A federal advisory committee rejected that idea, saying evidence supporting that approach wasn’t conclusive. Now low-carb advocates have regrouped and are pushing the government to include a disclaimer with the final guidelines saying they are “only for healthy Americans”—marking them irrelevant for the majority of the country who are overweight or have diabetes or prediabetes. "

Wow. Will wonders never cease? It would be great if my local grocery devoted equal shelf space to low carb specialty foods as it does to vegan foods. I never touch the latter....a lot of highly processed high-carb junk is what that stuff is.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Low carb may now be USDA approved!

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 am

That is great. You definitely see the movement toward this in little pieces at Costco and stores -- many items now have "Paleo" and "Keto" in the names, and while not perfect, generally do have lower carbs.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:13 am

I think most problems can be eliminated by generally eating things that don't have a lot of labels to begin with. Again, I'm sure there is DNA variability applicable to diets but high carb / low fat or high fat / low carb both seem to work. Mixing the two is where one runs into problems.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:18 am

doodle wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:13 am
I think most problems can be eliminated by generally eating things that don't have a lot of labels to begin with. Again, I'm sure there is DNA variability applicable to diets but high carb / low fat or high fat / low carb both seem to work. Mixing the two is where one runs into problems.
I agree. It's a good thing that (mainly) doctors have come around on low carb if it means more people are apt to try it and see if it works for them.

I'm assuming when you said "mixing the two" that you meant high fat and high carb. Sounds like a disaster for everyone but Michael Phelps or Dean Karnazes.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:48 am

doodle wrote:
I've had success personally with high fat/low carb so long as the high fat was "good" fat i.e. Avocado, EVOO, Omega-3. Even choosing carbs requires some selectivity. Glycemic load and index is a good factor to consider.

IMO one of the biggest obstacles to Federal adoption of low carb is the food industry. Do you think packaged food conglomerates are going to go down on their existing business model without a fight? Citizen's United anyone? Doctors take a personal malpractice risk practicing outside of guidelines too.

It really comes down to buyer beware and the need to be your own informed advocate.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:02 am

doodle wrote:
Yes, that was one of the admonitions in the book that Cortopassi recommended to us:

Lies My Doctor Told Me: Medical Myths That Can Harm Your Health

https://www.amazon.com/Lies-My-Doctor-T ... l_huc_item

He recommended eating foods which were single ingredient - the actual food itself with nothing else added.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:03 am

glennds wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:48 am
doodle wrote:
I've had success personally with high fat/low carb so long as the high fat was "good" fat i.e. Avocado, EVOO, Omega-3. Even choosing carbs requires some selectivity. Glycemic load and index is a good factor to consider.

IMO one of the biggest obstacles to Federal adoption of low carb is the food industry. Do you think packaged food conglomerates are going to go down on their existing business model without a fight? Citizen's United anyone? Doctors take a personal malpractice risk practicing outside of guidelines too.

It really comes down to buyer beware and the need to be your own informed advocate.
Without a doubt! They have always been the ones behind the government approved diets, which generally have not been optimal.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:50 am

For advocates of the low-carb way of eating, how do you explain places like France or Italy and their (comparatively) low rates of obesity and heart disease compared to the US. I have some friends who live in Italy and what they eat for breakfast or really any meal would make low carb advocates keel over. Pastries for breakfast...pasta and bread for lunch. But yet they are thin and healthy as can be.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:53 am

jalanlong wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:50 am
For advocates of the low-carb way of eating, how do you explain places like France or Italy and their (comparatively) low rates of obesity and heart disease compared to the US. I have some friends who live in Italy and what they eat for breakfast or really any meal would make low carb advocates keel over. Pastries for breakfast...pasta and bread for lunch. But yet they are thin and healthy as can be.
I should be able to better answer this but....perhaps their overall caloric intake is lower and their diets are high on the [nutrition / calorie] ratio.

Vinny
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:57 am

I believe a lot has to do with our processed foods, and especially the use of soybean oil.

Look at rates of obesity vs. the use of soybean oil in some searches.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/natural ... gz15aszsto
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:24 am

processed foods is a likely answer, also the difference between home made with traditional grains and industrial production with GMO and Fortified food like substances...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:33 am

Both of which the last two posts state agree with what I recently read in her Brain Food book...

https://www.lisamosconi.com/

You can see some of her recipes here: https://www.lisamosconi.com/beverages

Vinny
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:35 pm

While I think it's a good thing they are coming up with a "low carb" alternative recommendation, I do think that there deserves to be more conversation on quality of carbs vs quantity of carbs. Like there is a world of difference between a bowl of oatmeal and a bowl of ice cream.

I have type 2 diabetes running in both sides of my family so this is something I've thought about a lot. Carbs are a staple in my diet but I prepare almost all my own meals, I choose only high quality carbs, and I also get at least an hour of exercise in each day. I have no issues maintaining a low body fat percentage this way. Also, I usually only see my dr one time a year for a checkup and every year he says my labs are pristine. But how many people are willing to shop, cook, and exercise every day like that? It's a major lifestyle choice, like you really have to be all in on it. I have to make active sacrifices in other areas of my life to live a healthy lifestyle.

I think overeating processed foods in general are a major problem. But how do you get people to eat less processed foods? It's a tough ask in our current society. Also, how do you get people to exercise more? We humans weren't built to sit at a desk all day long.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:34 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:41 pm
pmward wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:35 pm
While I think it's a good thing they are coming up with a "low carb" alternative recommendation, I do think that there deserves to be more conversation on quality of carbs vs quantity of carbs. Like there is a world of difference between a bowl of oatmeal and a bowl of ice cream.

I have type 2 diabetes running in both sides of my family so this is something I've thought about a lot. Carbs are a staple in my diet but I prepare almost all my own meals, I choose only high quality carbs, and I also get at least an hour of exercise in each day. I have no issues maintaining a low body fat percentage this way. Also, I usually only see my dr one time a year for a checkup and every year he says my labs are pristine. But how many people are willing to shop, cook, and exercise every day like that? It's a major lifestyle choice, like you really have to be all in on it. I have to make active sacrifices in other areas of my life to live a healthy lifestyle.

I think overeating processed foods in general are a major problem. But how do you get people to eat less processed foods? It's a tough ask in our current society. Also, how do you get people to exercise more? We humans weren't built to sit at a desk all day long.
Yep. And, in general, Europeans walk a lot more than Americans, so they're burning calories naturally.

I've mentioned this here before, but I also eat a ton of carbs. Mostly whole grains, but I probably eat too much sugar. Yet because I exercise an awful lot, my labs are also perfect and I am not even a little overweight.

@Corto: While I choose EVOO and Coconut Oil when possible, I do not go out of my way to avoid soybean oil. I doesn't seem to matter. Maybe it's only a problem for sedentary folks?
Pug, I am pretty sure you are healthier than most and aren’t, for example, basing your carbs off things like Little Debbie snacks! ;D
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:27 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:34 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:41 pm
pmward wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:35 pm

Yep. And, in general, Europeans walk a lot more than Americans, so they're burning calories naturally.

I've mentioned this here before, but I also eat a ton of carbs. Mostly whole grains, but I probably eat too much sugar. Yet because I exercise an awful lot, my labs are also perfect and I am not even a little overweight.

@Corto: While I choose EVOO and Coconut Oil when possible, I do not go out of my way to avoid soybean oil. I doesn't seem to matter. Maybe it's only a problem for sedentary folks?
Pug, I am pretty sure you are healthier than most and aren’t, for example, basing your carbs off things like Little Debbie snacks! ;D
This book is free until at least midnight...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N9DD18N

Make Me THIN Again: A no fad diet where you can enjoy pizza and beer on the weekend! A common sense strategy by a 60 year old regular guy and retired engineer. Kindle Edition

Vinny