-Babette's Feast,
-La Vie en Rose,
-Dalida,
-Amelie,
-Chocolate,
-In Bruges (We went there last year because of the movie. Great cast),
-A Very Long Engagement,
-He loves me... He Loves Me Not,
-I Was A Male War Bride (Cary Grant, filmed in bombed out Berlin and other Germany places).

This will NOT end, Lest you folks insist.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Favorite Movies - Your Short List

Post by bedraggled » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:15 pm

-Iron Lady (Meryl Streep as Thatcher. Thatcher is well played in the current binge, "The Crown").

-the cult favorite, "Office Space." (The people making this film were concerned this movie would damage the career of Jennifer Anniston. She brushed that aside and contributed to a great production).

-My Cousin Vinny (One of the best ever)?

-Matrix 1

And to all a good night!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:22 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:09 pm
Lots of great movies on the list now. I’m watching Independence Day (1996) as I write this. A real good feel good adventure. Always a wonderful day to beat the aliens. Go get ’em Randy Quaid!
That IS an excellent one. One of my favorite movie genre's - action. But I'm seeming to remember Will Smith playing a prominent role?

Knowing you as much as I know of you so far you must have also liked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn?

I've seen that one twice, if not three times.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:30 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:03 pm
-Trading Places,
-The Mask,
-Liar, Liar,
-Pollack (Ed Harris is the biggest Mickey Mantle fan in Hollywood),
-Roman Holiday,
-"61" (Mickey Mantle, again)
-Inglorious Bastards,
-Major League,
-Support Your Local Sheriff (an unappreciated must),
-Mr. & Mrs. Smith,
-Men in Black,
-Bringing Up Baby.
- Parent Trap (with Lindsey Lohan & Dennis Quaid),
-The Rookie (Dennis Quaid, again, and no need to be a baseball fan. True story).
-
Of ALL the lists I've seen here this list is by FAR the one that has most resonated with me.

A comment on a few of them.

"61". I waited with great anticipation to watch it as I'd read and heard all these glorious reviews about it. I thought I'd love it and would watch it again and again. Instead, it was a grand disappointment which ended up almost feeling like work to watch until the end. Own it but still have only watched it once. Maybe I'll like it more on a second watching.

Inglorious Bastards - Great one!

The Major League movies were REAL movies. So many people, including you, have Field of Dreams as one of their favorite baseball movies. I thought it was a terrible movie that had almost NO baseball in it! An all-time sappy movie that was the most predictable movie I'd ever seen in my life.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:33 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:17 pm
Ahh, yea Gladiator is another one. And it reminded me to add 300 as well.

jhogue, on your foreign films list, I've seen Algiers. Just didn't think it was that good.
300 is definitely one I'd like. Just cannot remember if I have ever seen it!

I just checked and it is not available on either Netflix (online) or free Amazon Prime.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:35 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:32 pm
bedraggled wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:22 pm
_Good Will Hunting ( a $1.50 in library late fees can supplant a Harvard degree)
Hah, I actually feel ashamed that I didn't think of Good Will Hunting. I've probably watched it 15+ times. One of my favorites.
15 times!!!!

I saw it once and thought it was good but remember nothing about it other than Matt Damon was the lead character? You MUST have it memorized!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:40 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:42 pm
Music:
-Stop Making Sense, 1983,
-David Byrne's American Utopia (2019, on Broadway. Best music video since Stop Making Sense; available on Prime Video),
-Let It Be [the roof top concert; could be difficult to find].
-Beyond The Sea (Kevin Spacey may have made an American Classic).

Movies, again:
Doris Day:

-The Thrill of It All,
-That Touch of Mink (D. Day, C. Grant and Mickey Mantle, again).

Classic Movies:

Citizen Kane (repeated watching now puts this in my top 3).

Current movies:

-Knives Out (it all falls together by the 3rd viewing)

To be continued...?
Yes! Stop Making Sense!

How about: Gimme Shelter?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimme_She ... It%20Bleed.

A lot of the concert footage is from the New York City Madison Square Garden show. I was at the Boston show the day before they played those New York City shows

Citizen Kane. I'd read and read and read about how it was the greatest movie of all time. Finally after decades of reading that finally got to see it. It was watchable but would consider it far from the greatest of all time for my taste in movies.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:42 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:15 pm
-Iron Lady (Meryl Streep as Thatcher. Thatcher is well played in the current binge, "The Crown").

-the cult favorite, "Office Space." (The people making this film were concerned this movie would damage the career of Jennifer Anniston. She brushed that aside and contributed to a great production).

-My Cousin Vinny (One of the best ever)?

-Matrix 1

And to all a good night!
She is definitely one of my favorite actors and I generally find that any movie she is in usually ends up getting an A grade from me.

Vinny
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:43 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:35 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
bedraggled wrote:
_Good Will Hunting ( a $1.50 in library late fees can supplant a Harvard degree)
Hah, I actually feel ashamed that I didn't think of Good Will Hunting. I've probably watched it 15+ times. One of my favorites.
15 times!!!!

I saw it once and thought it was good but remember nothing about it other than Matt Damon was the lead character? You MUST have it memorized!

Vinny
Kriegs is wicked smart.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:52 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:43 pm
vnatale wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:35 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
bedraggled wrote:
15 times!!!!

Vinny
Kriegs is wicked smart.
That he is but I cannot imagine seeing any movie 15 times, though I might have seen the movie Woodstock that many times. But some asterisk's come with that.

One period of seeing it several times in a short period of time was the only time I did the "college student go to Fort Lauderdale for spring week". We did not have a place to stay and you were not allowed to sleep on the beach at night.

A movie theater was playing the movie Woodstock all night so we'd go there and stay in there all night and then go to sleep on the beach in the morning. I may have been also sleeping for some of that time when the movie Woodstock was playing.

Vinny

Vinny
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:32 pm

Speaking of ambiguously sexual midgets,

The year of living dangerously
The station agent
Silverado

All, outstanding.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:34 am

Vinny,

Field of Dreams isn't really a baseball movie. Also, I could not have predicted the ending.

My father schooled me on baseball legends of the past. When K Costner was telling his daughter about the late greats of the game, he left out Stan Musial. Musial was the only opposing player Dodger fans respected. When the players congregated on the field, I knew of all of the old players. Burt Lancaster may have made the film one of the 20 best ever. But that's an opinion/
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:02 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:22 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Lots of great movies on the list now. I’m watching Independence Day (1996) as I write this. A real good feel good adventure. Always a wonderful day to beat the aliens. Go get ’em Randy Quaid!
That IS an excellent one. One of my favorite movie genre's - action. But I'm seeming to remember Will Smith playing a prominent role?

Knowing you as much as I know of you so far you must have also liked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn?

Vinny
Yes re. Will Smith and Independence Day; he had some major swager going at the end. Yes on Red Dawn; you know me well. Has anyone mentioned Platoon, Shane or The Man From Planet X yet? The first two I really liked, the last is pretty cheesy but scary as heck for a 6 year old. ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:02 am

red dawn and office space two i forgot on my short list..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:15 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:02 am
The first two I really liked, the last is pretty cheesy but scary as heck for a 6 year old. ;D
For "Super Cheese" try
1. The Flight that Disappeared 1961 -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY8GHNcIc0U
2.The Cape Canaveral Monsters 1960 -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfHUz8AupRE
3. Beyond the Time Barrier 1960 -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdYmV7PTwY0

It's not only the French that can make good cheese ;D
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:18 am

Paul Newman:

-Cat on A Hot Tin Roof (Mendacity, anyone)?
-Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (There are no rules in a knife fight).
-The Hustler (Jackie Gleason was known as 'The Great One).

Jackie Gleason:
-The Hustler,
-Smokey And The Bandit (See the Gleason comment above).

Brad Garrett:
-Gleason, 2002, TV movie (while we were on the topic).

Buddy Hackett & Harvey Korman:
-"Bud and Lou," TV movie. (I met Hackett in the Roosevelt Island subway station in the late '90s. As we travelled to Manhattan, I asked why he didn't get an Emmy for the movie. He responded: 'I asked my agent the same question.' I told Hackett he is an under appreciated actor. After a 20 minute ride to Manhattan, we parted happy and I got the "Love Bug" star's autograph for my 6 year old as we both viewed it at least 10 times in the last couple of weeks. But I do run on...).

Laurel and Hardy:
-Sons of The Desert (start here and then the shorts).
Last edited by bedraggled on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:49 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:32 pm
Speaking of ambiguously sexual midgets,
O0
I loved Time Bandits as a kid.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:49 am

bedraggled wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:34 am
Vinny,

Field of Dreams isn't really a baseball movie. Also, I could not have predicted the ending.

My father schooled me on baseball legends of the past. When K Costner was telling his daughter about the late greats of the game, he left out Stan Musial. Musial was the only opposing player Dodger fans respected. When the players congregated on the field, I knew of all of the old players. Burt Lancaster may have made the film one of the 20 best ever. But that's an opinion/
Usually for most movies I have zero prediction ability. In Field of Dreams not only did I know what was going to happen next but I even knew what the characters were going to say. Then when James Earl Jones shows up in the movie you knew exactly the type character he was going to play.

Many people list it as their top baseball movie.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:52 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:02 am
vnatale wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:22 pm
Mountaineer wrote:

Vinny
Yes re. Will Smith and Independence Day; he had some major swager going at the end. Yes on Red Dawn; you know me well. Has anyone mentioned Platoon, Shane or The Man From Planet X yet? The first two I really liked, the last is pretty cheesy but scary as heck for a 6 year old. ;D
I think I have only seen Platoon once. Quite good. I see that it is available on Netflix so I will watch it again at some point.

Two "war" movies that come to mind that I like a lot were:

Full Metal Jacket - must have watched that about five times

Black Hawk Down - As I was leaving the movies with my friend, I told him that was the best "war" movie I'd ever seen. Have seen it at least three times. As usual, the book was even better.

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:41 am

Add to my list: Cool Runnings (thanks whoever fingered that one!)

That ties with Princess Bride and Life of Brian for my list of Most Fun Movies Ever. Good to watch when you are serious need of attitude adjustment.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:10 am

"Wind Talkers" seemed quite realistic.

You people were correct about "National Treasure." Thanks.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:35 am

l82start wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:02 am
I find it hard to turn Red Dawn off anytime it comes on.
The original, of course.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:50 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:35 am
l82start wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:02 am
I find it hard to turn Red Dawn off anytime it comes on.
The original, of course.
of course !!
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:26 pm

Could not believe that it took me until this morning to remember....

Footloose!

Definitely one of my all-time favorites since I must have seen it at least 7 times since I first saw it at the movies in 1984.

I've also seen the remake once and bought both of them so at one sitting I can see them back-to-back.

Both excellent with accompanying excellent soundtracks, which is not surprising given that it is a music movie.

On the music movie note....how many here have ever seen either of the Eddie and the Cruisers movies?

For various reasons I saw the first one about 7 times and the second one at least twice.

Also, excellent music in both of those movies.

Vinny
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:12 pm

l82start wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:53 pm
tremors.... ???
You broke into the wrong G damn rec room!

I still remember a sleepover with a group of pals at my buddies house as an 11-12 year old watching this.

Has anyone mentioned Terminator 2? I can watch this from literally any point in the movie if its on.