The Meme Thread

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13330
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:50 pm

Me neither. Sorry, Smithers O0 We must all seem really old to you. But I *am* glad you’re enjoying.

If that’s about Jim Cramer on cnbc i can’t stand him, but not because he’s Gollum. It’s because he talks about his wife’s restaurant and Italy or his dad & baseball or some inside joke that Carl and David have to explain. And maybe a few words about stocks — usually how he met the CEO. Unwatchable. Bloomberg & Fox Biz are better. What do they watch in Canada?
Tell me in another thread if you want.
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
AP African American Studies course rejected by Florida to be revised, College Board says
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by flyingpylon » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:25 am

Image
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:03 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:50 pm
Me neither. Sorry, Smithers O0 We must all seem really old to you. But I *am* glad you’re enjoying.

If that’s about Jim Cramer on cnbc i can’t stand him, but not because he’s Gollum. It’s because he talks about his wife’s restaurant and Italy or his dad & baseball or some inside joke that Carl and David have to explain. And maybe a few words about stocks — usually how he met the CEO. Unwatchable. Bloomberg & Fox Biz are better. What do they watch in Canada?
Tell me in another thread if you want.
We don't have much in terms of any kind of robust or highly-watched money show here in Canada. We pretty well just piggyback off of U.S. outlets like CNBC.

Huh, I never realized that. Kind of sad. :o
Golden Shield
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:06 am

654E13B2-FE5D-443D-ACB5-A2F16F187E84.jpeg
654E13B2-FE5D-443D-ACB5-A2F16F187E84.jpeg (600.24 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
Golden Shield
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:15 pm

asdhfjkdshajkfhsadkjfhasdjkfhjksdhfjkds.png
asdhfjkdshajkfhsadkjfhasdjkfhjksdhfjkds.png (283.26 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
Golden Shield
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1900
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:19 pm

Three logisticians just finished dinner, and the waitress comes up and asks "do y'all want dessert?"
The first logistician says "I don't know." The second also says "I don't know." The last says "yes, we would."
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13330
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by dualstow » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:19 pm
Three logisticians just finished dinner, and the waitress comes up and asks "do y'all want dessert?"
The first logistician says "I don't know." The second also says "I don't know." The last says "yes, we would."
Took me way too long to get this, and I did some searching.
And even though i think I get it, it doesn’t make sense. EDIT- oh, wait, yes it does. How great. O0
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
AP African American Studies course rejected by Florida to be revised, College Board says
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:21 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:19 pm
Three logisticians just finished dinner, and the waitress comes up and asks "do y'all want dessert?"
The first logistician says "I don't know." The second also says "I don't know." The last says "yes, we would."
Took me way too long to get this, and I did some searching.
And even though i think I get it, it doesn’t make sense. EDIT- oh, wait, yes it does. How great. O0
This post and your Columbo avatar are perfect together lmao.
Golden Shield
User avatar
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by InsuranceGuy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:39 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by InsuranceGuy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:26 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13330
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:37 am

Lots of Bernie Sanders inaugural memes out there.
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 10.36.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 10.36.33 AM.png (172.18 KiB) Viewed 4181 times
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
AP African American Studies course rejected by Florida to be revised, College Board says
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:41 am

https://9gag.com/gag/aZ0xgPX

Lo-Fi Bernie. Beats to study and relax to!
Golden Shield
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:32 pm

17F1B460-05DC-4267-8A59-6E2555CCFA4B.jpeg
17F1B460-05DC-4267-8A59-6E2555CCFA4B.jpeg (180.71 KiB) Viewed 4153 times
Golden Shield
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13330
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:35 pm

🤷‍♂️ (shrug)
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
AP African American Studies course rejected by Florida to be revised, College Board says
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4020
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:45 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:50 pm
LOL. https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets ... er_is_not/



dsalfkjasdlkfjsdlk.png
Thinking of youuuuuuuuu.
And as for him who lacks the courage to defend even his own soul: Let him not brag of his progressive views, boast of his status as an academician or a recognized artist, a distinguished citizen or general. Let him say to himself plainly: I am cattle, I am a coward, I seek only warmth and to eat my fill.
Solzhenitsyn, Live Not By Lies
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2709
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Tortoise » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:25 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:45 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:50 pm
LOL. https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets ... er_is_not/

dsalfkjasdlkfjsdlk.png
Thinking of youuuuuuuuu.
Smithers, is the basic idea that big Wall Street investors short-sold GameStop stock because they thought the company was about to go bankrupt, but then a group of activist investors on Reddit (r/wallstreetbets) who had fond memories of GameStop and wanted to keep it alive decided to fight back by going long on the stock, thus creating a short squeeze that's now screwing over the Wall Street short-sellers?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1190
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by pp4me » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:25 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:45 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:50 pm
LOL. https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets ... er_is_not/

dsalfkjasdlkfjsdlk.png
Thinking of youuuuuuuuu.
Smithers, is the basic idea that big Wall Street investors short-sold GameStop stock because they thought the company was about to go bankrupt, but then a group of activist investors on Reddit (r/wallstreetbets) who had fond memories of GameStop and wanted to keep it alive decided to fight back by going long on the stock, thus creating a short squeeze that's now screwing over the Wall Street short-sellers?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1190
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by pp4me » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:51 pm

pp4me wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:47 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:25 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:45 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:50 pm
LOL. https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets ... er_is_not/

dsalfkjasdlkfjsdlk.png
Thinking of youuuuuuuuu.
Smithers, is the basic idea that big Wall Street investors short-sold GameStop stock because they thought the company was about to go bankrupt, but then a group of activist investors on Reddit (r/wallstreetbets) who had fond memories of GameStop and wanted to keep it alive decided to fight back by going long on the stock, thus creating a short squeeze that's now screwing over the Wall Street short-sellers?
I'm guessing that Smithers found the rant itself humorous, as I did, rather than whatever it was trying to say but he can speak for himself.

That reddit post has now been censored so let that be a lesson to those who post memes providing only links to the original. Better to do what Smithers did and provide the image and/or the gist of a story before somebody takes it down.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8241
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:09 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (41.24 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:38 pm

Honestly guys, I don't know EXACTLY how Gamestop became the mega meme stock it did. Really, by Wall Street Bets' own admission, they are not a very well coordinated group. I imagine the fervour around the stock rose organically through the subreddit's various discussions.

If I had to guess, it probably started with the user u/deepfuckingvalue sharing with everyone how he made a massive call option bet on the company. When the bet paid off it became the meme-ist of meme stocks.

That said... GME TO THE MOOOOOOOONNNN.

🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀
Golden Shield
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:49 pm

jy.png
jy.png (976.72 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
Golden Shield
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:48 pm

Relevant GME article: https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/22/2224 ... volatility


gme.png
gme.png (490.63 KiB) Viewed 4191 times
Golden Shield
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:13 pm

EYtVt45X0AAHw1V.jpg
EYtVt45X0AAHw1V.jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
Golden Shield
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4020
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:32 pm

Image
And as for him who lacks the courage to defend even his own soul: Let him not brag of his progressive views, boast of his status as an academician or a recognized artist, a distinguished citizen or general. Let him say to himself plainly: I am cattle, I am a coward, I seek only warmth and to eat my fill.
Solzhenitsyn, Live Not By Lies
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Meme Thread

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:40 pm

Stoncks only go up, guys. O0
Golden Shield
Post Reply