Lockdown

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Lockdown

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:02 pm

It think it's high time* we have a new Lockdown Thread, separate from Coronavirus general.

From 'Memes':
Simonjester wrote:
If a lockdown worked the first time, why are we doing it again? If a lockdown didn’t work the first time, why are we doing it again?

A fair question. I am way more sympathetic to restaurants and businesses than I was in April 2020. At this point you could say I’m anti-lockdown. Let countries ban whom they want to ban from other countries, but within a country, within the U.S., let people make their own choices. Large gatherings like rock concerts: probably not a good idea. Restaurants with spaced tables: let's give it a shot. No one has to go if they don't want to. Vaccines on the horizon. (Hopefully more effective than the Chinese vax being used in Brazil).

If a lockdown worked the first time, why are we doing it again?
New variants?

*it's high time: @vinny: conditions are ripe- wait- conditions are favorable, inducing the necessity...
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Lockdown

Post by pp4me » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:36 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:02 pm
It think it's high time* we have a new Lockdown Thread, separate from Coronavirus general.

From 'Memes':
Simonjester wrote:
If a lockdown worked the first time, why are we doing it again? If a lockdown didn’t work the first time, why are we doing it again?

A fair question. I am way more sympathetic to restaurants and businesses than I was in April 2020. At this point you could say I’m anti-lockdown. Let countries ban whom they want to ban from other countries, but within a country, within the U.S., let people make their own choices. Large gatherings like rock concerts: probably not a good idea. Restaurants with spaced tables: let's give it a shot. No one has to go if they don't want to. Vaccines on the horizon. (Hopefully more effective than the Chinese vax being used in Brazil).

New variants?

*it's high time: @vinny: conditions are ripe- wait- conditions are favorable, inducing the necessity...
Just glad I live in Florida. There was some insanity closing things down at the beginning but now all we have are some mask mandates but only on a county by county basis. Restaurants and bars are open with the exception of Chik Fil-A and Jollibees who only provide drive-thru service (Jollibees is the Filipino McDonalds with even worse hamburgers but good fried chicken if you don't mind waiting in the line for half an hour).

Fauci warned that this would be a disaster but so far it hasn't materialized.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:12 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:02 pm

From 'Memes':
Simonjester wrote:

New variants?

@dualstow: completely acceptable in the way you used it. It fits what you mean to say. Not a phrase that is both misused and misused at an extremely high frequency.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:13 pm

Reading Rickards's book last week on this did have a major impact on my thoughts regarding this.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:20 pm

I heard today on a Food Channel show the WHO says 3 million people a year die of waterborne illness. I think about 2 million people have died in the past year from COVID-19. Why the hysteria over the latter, including lockdowns, and not the former? I am totally speculating, but it seems the technology exists to make a significant reduction in the former deaths with a lot less negative financial and human collateral damage than we are experiencing with the current approach to the latter. All assuming the main goal is to save lives of course (likely a faulty assumption). I think there may be more to Maddy’s hypothesis than she gets credited for.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:27 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:20 pm

I heard today on a Food Channel show the WHO says 3 million people a year die of waterborne illness. I think about 2 million people have died in the past year from COVID-19. Why the hysteria over the latter, including lockdowns, and not the former? I am totally speculating, but it seems the technology exists to make a significant reduction in the former deaths with a lot less negative financial and human collateral damage than we are experiencing with the current approach to the latter. All assuming the main goal is to save lives of course (likely a faulty assumption). I think there may be more to Maddy’s hypothesis than she gets credited for.

Your facts are probably correct. However, as usual, it comes down to interpretation regarding those facts.

Black people say that the insecurities that white people starting feeling in 2020 were just the ones that black people, in general, have been feeling in this country all their lives.

Or, how when drugs were primarily used by blacks it was a law and order issue. But then once the opiates reached the white crowd drug abuse was no longer a law and order issue. It then became a diseases / medical issue.

The, perhaps, then simple answer to your question is that there is not enough concern regarding the type of person who dies from waterborne illness while there is an abundance of concern regarding some of the people who die from this virus.

boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:59 am

Ban small business, inflate away wages, outsource the new work from home jobs to Asia. America is getting laid off.

I reminded of this scene when I hear "we're in this together" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pQhIPXIqqQ
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:19 am

tomfoolery wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:00 pm
Because, we have to do something.
Well that's exactly right. Adam Corolla said in an interview that it's like when the tribal leader would conduct a human sacrifice to try to make it rain. The leaders have to look like they are doing something.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 pm

If so, only because this year the media chose to make covid the 2020 narrative
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:55 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:20 pm
I heard today on a Food Channel show the WHO says 3 million people a year die of waterborne illness. I think about 2 million people have died in the past year from COVID-19. Why the hysteria over the latter, including lockdowns, and not the former?
Not sure about waterborne illness, but if you shut down all the restaurants and they go out of business, then presumably everyone will learn to cook and eat all their meals at home. Then you've taken care of most food poisoning incidents plus generally home-cooked meals are healthier.

Tongue in cheek of course....but it's just as legit an explanation as anything else. It sure can't have anything to do with COVID. On the same day that Andrew Cuomo shut down New York restaurants in December, the WSJ in the same article reported that a survey conducted by Cuomo's administration revealed that 1.4% of new COVID positive tests (which they call "cases") were attributable to restaurant dining. So all that destruction is happening for presumably a 1.4% reduction in cases? And a far smaller percentage of deaths, since the vulnerable population are not exactly going to restaurants in droves?

It's heartbreaking to watch the destruction, and to know it's all for nothing.