Various COVID vaccines

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Various COVID vaccines

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:53 pm

Including those still in trials, and Russian and Chinese and all known vaccines, which are rDNA and which are whatever else? Is there a “conventional” one? Is there one that seems most favorable to you?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Various COVID vaccines

Post by Maddy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:53 pm

Here's what I'm confused about: The mRNA "vaccine" uses a sequence of genes to trick cells into producing a protein similar enough to the virus to induce immunity, whereas a traditional vaccine uses an attenuated version of the virus itself. We know that they've been working for decades to develop a traditional vaccine for coronavirus, but that they have been unsuccessful. As I understand it, the main obstacle has been that the coronavirus tends to mutate rapidly. So what is it about the mRNA technology that is expected to circumvent that obstacle? If you can't get the body's cells to respond to the actual virus in a predictable way, then why would you expect the proteins generated by the mRNA technology to do any better?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:05 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:57 pm
As stated here elsewhere, I had the first dose of the Moderna vaccine 2 weeks ago. I consider that one the least bad of the available options, but I had no choice anyway. I guess time will tell.

You must be thinking about getting one if you're asking?
We are thinking about it. We'd both prefer not to, but if the disease doesn't burn out soon, then getting vaccinated will look better and better.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:53 pm

When you inject whole inactive virus you get antibodies to various proteins (shapes). Some of those shapes change with mutation. the mRNA vacc codes for the spike protein. If that mutates you no longer have corona capable of infection. The mRNA flu vacc will target a similar essential protein.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:36 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:53 pm
When you inject whole inactive virus you get antibodies to various proteins (shapes). Some of those shapes change with mutation. the mRNA vacc codes for the spike protein. If that mutates you no longer have corona capable of infection. The mRNA flu vacc will target a similar essential protein.
Sorry, I'm not understanding whether you're saying the mRNA vaccine will have better coverage against mutations or worse.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:34 pm

The spike is like a key to enter cells. It cant mutate/change shape much or it wont fit. So targeting it is effective.

There's also a trade-off between virulence and infectiousness, the more deadly/debilitating a virus is, the less it is able to spread. They evolve to keep you sneezing as long as possible. Not sure even an engineered respiratory virus would be an existential threat like a rogue ICBM.
DoomVoyager

Post by DoomVoyager » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:27 am

If my personal risk from covid rounds to zero, why would I get a novel, rushed vaccine of any sort? The risk/reward doesn't make sense.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:25 am

Because we're going cashless and you'll need permission to transact. Includes complimentary 90 day trial of The New York Times.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:29 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:57 pm
As stated here elsewhere, I had the first dose of the Moderna vaccine 2 weeks ago. I consider that one the least bad of the available options, but I had no choice anyway. I guess time will tell.
Pug - out of curiousity, why do you consider the Moderna vaccine better?

I personally would avoid the Astra Zeneca vaccine. That's the one that induced transverse myelitis (a serious autoimmune condition related to MS that often results in permanent disability) in two subjects. That info was made public at the time each one happened, but mysteriously it's been buried. News articles report that the company says no serious side effects. I think they decided that the subjects had subclinical MS (which technically doesn't exist) and the vaccine simply uncovered it. Possible, but not terribly satisfying.

As Pug says, time will tell. There simply isn't enough data - yet. There will be after a few million people have gotten it and enough time has elapsed that serious side effects get reported on the internet grapevine. Unfortunately, I bet the Astra Zeneca solution will be repeated in in the official channels if any do emerge.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:35 pm

Oh right, I forgot about that. Yes, Moderna sounds like it's the best chance of getting a viable vaccine.