vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

accountant's blotter

Post by vnatale » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:23 pm

🚧 split off from Forum Members with Covid-19 🚧
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10462
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
🚧 Sorry about the derailment, which I'm partially responsible for.
This should probably be deleted but for now you can read about Vinny's non trip below 🚧
-- Ds
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Xan wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:56 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:03 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:44 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:49 pm

Oh yeah! Pay attention to dates, too. And whether an egg in a bowl of water floats or sinks.

The whole date thing is strictly a marketing gimmick to get you to throw things out that are fine so as to get you tod buy more.

I was unclear. I didn’t mean the date stamp. Just the time I bought something vs what day it is.
The stamp can sometimes be safely ignored, but it is not strictly a marketing gimmick. If milk has a stamp on it that has already passed, I don’t buy it in the first place. If i accidentally do, that’s on me. So in that sense, the date stamp can be useful.
With medication, I’ve read some articles say that the “expired” stuff probably isn’t going to kill you, but it also might not be that effective.

But Vinny, you just yammered on about smelling and tasting when the context is that Tortoise can’t frickin smell anything. :D
Unless there’s a professional food taster on call, he’s got to go by something.

I understand that liquid medication (kids' ibuprofen/benadryl, maybe neosporin?) really does decay in effectiveness pretty quickly. But stuff in a pill lasts pretty much forever.

I think some time in the 1980s I asked my doctor about the dates for pills. He said he used them past expiration date. Either he also told me that day or I found out some other way that the only thing that happens to them is that they degrade in potency.

I have one hit of acid that is now 50 years old. I'm guessing it'd have no effect on me if I took it now. It's not a "tab" but, instead, is on a piece of paper (known as "blotter" acid).
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

accountant's blotter

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:01 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:23 pm
I have one hit of acid that is now 50 years old. I'm guessing it'd have no effect on me if I took it now. It's not a "tab" but, instead, is on a piece of paper (known as "blotter" acid).
I once was blind but now I see. That explains much! ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

accountant's blotter

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:50 pm

Do me a favor and don’t do a taste test on it, Vinny. I like to tease you but I don’t want you ending up in the hospital.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

accountant's blotter

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:17 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:50 pm

Do me a favor and don’t do a taste test on it, Vinny. I like to tease you but I don’t want you ending up in the hospital.

Back 50 years ago I used several off that blotter sheet. And, if the 50 year old memory is correct...it was on the milder side. I fully believe it has zero of anything left in it after 50 years and just being stored at room temperature.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

accountant's blotter

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:46 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:17 pm
dualstow wrote:
Back 50 years ago I used several off that blotter sheet. And, if the 50 year old memory is correct...it was on the milder side. I fully believe it has zero of anything left in it after 50 years and just being stored at room temperature.
Vinny, there are many organic compounds that have very long half-lives. Beware the blotter sheet! Hopefully, not too much damage was done 50 years ago ... but the jury is still out. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persisten ... _pollutant
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

accountant's blotter

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:44 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:46 am

vnatale wrote:

dualstow wrote:

Vinny, there are many organic compounds that have very long half-lives. Beware the blotter sheet! Hopefully, not too much damage was done 50 years ago ... but the jury is still out. ;)

Thanks for concern. But probably far, far, far less damage than regular imbibers of alcohol.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

accountant's blotter

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:39 am

vnatale wrote:
acid...
..blotter... 50 years ago
dualstow wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:44 am
Thanks for concern. But probably far, far, far less damage than regular imbibers of alcohol.
You should assess it on its own terms, not x is less damaging than y.
Same deal with Covid, really.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

accountant's blotter

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:02 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:39 am

vnatale wrote:

acid...
..blotter... 50 years ago
dualstow wrote:

Mountaineer wrote:

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:44 am

You should assess it on its own terms, not x is less damaging than y.
Same deal with Covid, really.

To be clear....I was referring to any residual damage from use over 50 years ago compared to a regular alcohol user during all those 50 years. I have no intentions of using what I still own. If I ever had it would have been consumed long ago.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

accountant's blotter

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:12 am

why do you keep it around, if I may ask?
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

accountant's blotter

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:26 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:12 am
Because of Vinny’s damage done 50 years ago? 😬
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

accountant's blotter

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:56 am

dualstow wrote:

I'm a collector. An artifact of my past life.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

accountant's blotter

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:52 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:47 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:56 am

dualstow wrote:

I'm a collector. An artifact of my past life.

I would think, as the guy who only wears seatbelts as mandated by law, you would have disposed of it in case your house is ever raided by police (stranger things have happened). You would surely go to jail.

The seatbelt comment is a mischaracterization. I stated that the law change was what was the catalyst for me finally adopting the good habit of wearing a seat belt. Turning on the switch. I'm a binary person.

Now after I stop across the street from my house to pick up the mail and newspaper, I put the seatbelt back on just to turn into my driveway from the street.

When I used to ride my motorcycle I'd be looking to put on that non-existent seatbelt. Obviously there is no motorcycle seatbelt law because there are no motorcycle seatbelts. But once that switch was turned on I was habituated to wearing a seatbelt and liked the feeling of safety I got from wearing one. It is now always the first and last thing I do in a car. I've never think of driving my car without my seat belt on.

The chances of that one slice of that blotter ever being discovered is less than infinitesimal. Then if it was found....someone would have to have some idea of what it was. Finally, I don't think I'd go to jail for one hit of acid! Not something I'd ever spent a fraction of a second worrying about.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: accountant's blotter

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:25 pm

*Silk Road thread intensifies*
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:33 pm

I almost got into motorcycles until my dad had his third motorcycle accident. Kinda scared me off afterwards.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:40 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:33 pm

I almost got into motorcycles until my dad had his third motorcycle accident. Kinda scared me off afterwards.

Fortunately I never had one. But I stopped riding because of insurance.

Having an umbrella policy requires certain minimums on other policies. That required me to have all the same coverages for my motorcycle as I had for my car even though a motorcycle could cause no where as much damage as a car.

When I determined that due to the infrequent use of my motorcycle it was costing me $90 (in insurance) per ride...I stopped running the motorcycle. Finally gave it away about 15 years later.

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:53 pm

Since this thread has talked about recreational drugs...

Pot is legal in IL. Finally bought some gummies New Years Eve. 10mg, which seems to be standard. Indica type I believe,

My wife, older daughter and I took one each on NYE. Daughter had minimal effects, maybe because her body has tolerance from alcohol?

I had a similar experience to many times in college, when I went a few drinks too far, with head spinning. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Wife....I was with her while she was throwing up for about 2 hours!

I have tried one quarter gummy since, with no effect. And I have tried half twice, both, unpleasant like I drank a few beers too many.

I have no interest in trying anymore, if I have to get the dose so accurate to feel good? There did not seem to be a level that created pleasant effects for me.

Curious if anyone has had similar experiences.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:06 pm

I was into motorcycles when I was in high school. My Honda CB-160 was the fastest bike around. I had several crashes when bikes went out from under me on wet pavement but that didn't phase me much until I had a head-on collision with a car that pulled out in front of me going about 35-40 MPH. Fortunately, it was a small VW and I sailed right over top of it and only had contact with the pavement. It was during the state fair and I remember a large crowd of people were gathered around me and I heard them saying "He's Dead". I thought maybe I was but I guess not. Pretty miraculous that I even survived let alone had only bruises and scrapes to show for it. Wasn't wearing a helmet either. I never did.

The bike was in the shop for about 6 weeks for repairs and after I got it back I took it for a spin on country roads to try to get my nerve back and when I went past a house where a dog was known to chase I sped up like I always did to hurry past. I don't know what got into that dog but he just kept coming at me until he lunged right into my recently repaired front forks. I barely managed to regain control but returned home shaken, to say the least. I think that was the last time I rode it. (killed the dog, BTW).

I did buy another one years later but when I also crashed it on wet pavement in Florida I sold it and never rode again. I had 3 kids and a wife at the time and figured I'd better stop pushing my luck.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:49 pm

Corto, marijuana has a similar effect on me. Tends to kind of make my head spin even if I eat just one gummy. I think some people (apparently including you and me) are just highly sensitive to it.

I’m also extremely sensitive to nicotine. Smoking a single cigar, even slowly over a few hours, usually makes my palms sweaty and I end up losing my lunch.

Alcohol is my drug of choice.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:23 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:49 pm
Corto, marijuana has a similar effect on me. Tends to kind of make my head spin even if I eat just one gummy. I think some people (apparently including you and me) are just highly sensitive to it.

I’m also extremely sensitive to nicotine. Smoking a single cigar, even slowly over a few hours, usually makes my palms sweaty and I end up losing my lunch.

Yeah, come to think of it I smoked regular cigarettes one night in college and a few years later tried chewing tobacco from a friend and both were similar unpleasant times. Alcohol does much better when controlled!
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:27 pm

I had a Honda Aero 80 in college and a Yamaha Riva 125 in the late 90s.

I loved both. Had two bad experiences on the 80, one on wet pavement and one where a car did not see me. Broken pinky was the worst of it.

When my first daughter was due, I sold the Yamaha.

I occasionally have urges to get another, but 20 some miles an hour on my electric powered bike is good enough!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:39 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:53 pm
..Finally bought some gummies New Years Eve. 10mg
I have no interest in trying anymore, if I have to get the dose so accurate to feel good? There did not seem to be a level that created pleasant effects for me.

Interesting that you shared the experience with your wife and daughter. I like that.

Never tried gummies, but for what it's worth even Seth Rogen can't handle them.
I saw an interview in which he said he was with his wife and parents-in-law in a movie theater (remember those?) and he could barely contain himself.

I have used a vaporizer (eucalyptus only, of course O0 ) a handful of times. I felt that it was a nice compromise in that you don’t have the combustion or polluted lungs from a cigarette and also none of the wackiness that edibles may bring.
It also produces some dried crumbs that can be baked into cookies or bread and that do not seem to be as powerful as fresh gummies. YMMV.
RIP Marcello Gandini
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:40 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Beer plus a good pipe is the perfect combination IMHO.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:49 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:39 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:53 pm
..Finally bought some gummies New Years Eve. 10mg

Interesting that you shared the experience with your wife and daughter. I like that.

Never tried gummies, but for what it's worth even Seth Rogen can't handle them.
I saw an interview in which he said he was with his wife and parents-in-law in a movie theater (remember those?) and he could barely contain himself.

I have used a vaporizer (eucalyptus only, of course O0 ) a handful of times. I felt that it was a nice compromise in that you don’t have the combustion or polluted lungs from a cigarette and also none of the wackiness that edibles may bring.
It also produces some dried crumbs that can be baked into cookies or bread and that do not seem to be as powerful as fresh gummies. YMMV.
I bought the Firefly 2+ vaporizer about a year ago and don't think I would ever go back to combustion again. I'm convinced that half of what you think is getting you high with combustion is the carbon monoxide or some other toxic thing - plus a lot of the THC and CBD goes up in smoke with the rest of it. As for the residue called ABV (already been vaped) I just finally collected enough to try making a tincture using the cold extract method. Can't tell you if it worked yet because it's still in the freezer until Monday.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:50 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:42 pm
pp4me wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:40 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Beer plus a good pipe is the perfect combination IMHO.
Pipe of what?
Medicinal herbs.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:52 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:49 pm
I bought the Firefly 2+ vaporizer about a year ago and don't think I would ever go back to combustion again. I'm convinced that half of what you think is getting you high with combustion is the carbon monoxide or some other toxic thing - plus a lot of the THC and CBD goes up in smoke with the rest of it. As for the residue called ABV (already been vaped) I just finally collected enough to try making a tincture using the cold extract method. Can't tell you if it worked yet because it's still in the freezer until Monday.
Interesting. Never heard of the cold extract method. (Don't post it here. O0 )
Yeah, I did some "research" (contacted an old friend from college plus a more recent thread, an enthusiast). No offense to pug because whatever works, works, but they were both of the opinion that bongs are outdated and for college kids. Until they said that, it's what I thought I was going to end up with.

Hooray for technological innovations. Alexa, please prepare...
RIP Marcello Gandini