Online IRS account

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Online IRS account

Post by pp4me » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:08 pm

I recently learned that there is such a thing as an Online IRS account just like the online SSA account when I was trying to figure out why my granddaughter didn't get her stimulus money.

Tried creating one for myself first. Asked for a credit card number which was apparently verified somehow but then they asked for a mobile phone number for further verification. I tried my Google phone number and pre-paid TracFone number but no luck. I thought it was like other verifications where they are just going to call the number but NO, they apparently are checking the billing records of cell phone providers to see if the information matches, which is what they seemed to be saying.

Tried for my daughter and didn't even get past the credit card part. They said the information provided doesn't match our records. No phone number to call or any further information provided.

So my question is do any of the members here have an online IRS account? Seems like a great idea to me. Works very well for SSA. Somebody on Bogleheads said you can review all of your information including what forms they have on file for you like 1099',s etc.

Would very much like to see it.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Online IRS account

Post by Maddy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:27 pm

pp4me wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:08 pm
Asked for a credit card number . . .
Whoa, don't like the sound of that.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:30 pm

pp4me wrote:

I recently learned that there is such a thing as an Online IRS account just like the online SSA account when I was trying to figure out why my granddaughter didn't get her stimulus money.

Tried creating one for myself first. Asked for a credit card number which was apparently verified somehow but then they asked for a mobile phone number for further verification. I tried my Google phone number and pre-paid TracFone number but no luck. I thought it was like other verifications where they are just going to call the number but NO, they apparently are checking the billing records of cell phone providers to see if the information matches, which is what they seemed to be saying.

Tried for my daughter and didn't even get past the credit card part. They said the information provided doesn't match our records. No phone number to call or any further information provided.

So my question is do any of the members here have an online IRS account? Seems like a great idea to me. Works very well for SSA. Somebody on Bogleheads said you can review all of your information including what forms they have on file for you like 1099',s etc.

I have never heard of such a thing.

I have an online IRS account wherein I can make payments but I don't believe I've ever been able to see anything regarding anything I've filed other than payments.

I will log on to that account plus do a search to see if there is anything like you describe.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:39 pm

pp4me wrote:

I was surprisingly able to successfully log in to my EFTPS account. Below is what I see. This web site seems to be strictly for making payments.

Vinny

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (72.65 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:43 pm

pp4me wrote:

To another surprise...it looks like what you describe above does exist! I'm going to sign up for it.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your- ... have%20one

Vinny

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (125.51 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:59 pm

pp4me wrote:

Also did not recognize my cell phone number (from GoogleFi). I stayed in the process, though, and I'll be getting something in the mail to complete the process.

Vinny

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (40.18 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:52 pm

pp4me wrote:
Yes, I've had an online IRS account for a couple of years now. The main reason I signed up was for fraud protection; I had read about some criminals signing up for online IRS accounts in other people's names in order to get information and file fraudulent tax returns. I figured signing up for my account would at least remove that vulnerability.

I don't remember exactly what pieces of information they required me to provide when I signed up, but I don't seem to remember having to enter a credit card number. In any case, they may very well have updated their system since I signed up and put a new procedure in place.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:11 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:52 pm

pp4me wrote:

Yes, I've had an online IRS account for a couple of years now. The main reason I signed up was for fraud protection; I had read about some criminals signing up for online IRS accounts in other people's names in order to get information and file fraudulent tax returns. I figured signing up for my account would at least remove that vulnerability.

I don't remember exactly what pieces of information they required me to provide when I signed up, but I don't seem to remember having to enter a credit card number. In any case, they may very well have updated their system since I signed up and put a new procedure in place.

Tonight I had to enter the last 8 digits of a credit card.

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:57 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:43 pm
pp4me wrote:

To another surprise...it looks like what you describe above does exist! I'm going to sign up for it.

Vinny

Capture.JPG
That's exactly what I was talking about. I was referred to that page when I was trying to figure out why my granddaughter didn't get her stimulus money. The guy over on Bogleheads says you can see everything that has been reported to the IRS. Would have helped me one time when I wasn't aware of a 1099 that had been filed.

Too bad it seems impossible to create an account.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:22 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:57 pm

vnatale wrote:

pp4me wrote:

Vinny

Capture.JPG

That's exactly what I was talking about. I was referred to that page when I was trying to figure out why my granddaughter didn't get her stimulus money. The guy over on Bogleheads says you can see everything that has been reported to the IRS. Would have helped me one time when I wasn't aware of a 1099 that had been filed.

I have full confidence that I will receive that piece of mail that will allow me to complete the process.

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:42 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:22 pm
pp4me wrote:
vnatale wrote:
pp4me wrote:

Vinny

Capture.JPG

I have full confidence that I will receive that piece of mail that will allow me to complete the process.
I didn't see anything like that. I'll have to try again.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:04 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:42 pm

vnatale wrote:

pp4me wrote:

vnatale wrote:

pp4me wrote:

Vinny

Capture.JPG

Once it tells you it cannot verify your phone number it allows to stay in the process, which then ends up in them mailing something to you in the future which then allows you to complete the process.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:48 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:04 pm
pp4me wrote:
vnatale wrote:
pp4me wrote:
vnatale wrote:
pp4me wrote:

Vinny

Capture.JPG

Once it tells you it cannot verify your phone number it allows to stay in the process, which then ends up in them mailing something to you in the future which then allows you to complete the process.
Got my code in the mail and was able to access my account. Didn't see the information I thought would be there, like 1099's etcetera but it appears that you can download transcripts from previous years which is nice. I remember ordering them by mail once and it took weeks.
Last edited by pp4me on Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:41 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:48 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:04 pm

pp4me wrote:

vnatale wrote:

pp4me wrote:

vnatale wrote:

pp4me wrote:

Vinny

Capture.JPG

Got my code in the mail and was able to access my account. Didn't see the information I thought would be there, like 1099's etcetera but it appears that you can download transcripts from previous years which is nice.

I am still waiting for mine to arrive in the mail.