Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Reasons why I will not be getting injected for the Wuhan

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:01 am

And, just like many here don't give two craps about what I say, why would I care about whoever these Twitter people are?

Twitter and social media apparently more than anything has given people the right to be assholes out in public, not just with their friends and family. You have an opinion that might be offensive to many? Hey, I know.... put it on Twitter!

I'd have to ask you, Vinny, how do you come across this stuff?

I find it interesting how this stuff travels. I have sat many times at the dinner table and one of my daughters or wife will say did you see that video of... and the others will go yeah, and I sit there in the dark...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:34 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:01 am

And, just like many here don't give two craps about what I say, why would I care about whoever these Twitter people are?

Twitter and social media apparently more than anything has given people the right to be assholes out in public, not just with their friends and family. You have an opinion that might be offensive to many? Hey, I know.... put it on Twitter!

I find it interesting how this stuff travels. I have sat many times at the dinner table and one of my daughters or wife will say did you see that video of... and the others will go yeah, and I sit there in the dark...

Obviously I see it on Twitter.

I'm someone who believes truth comes in all forms...wherever I find it. It may actually even come from someone with whom I generally disagree!

Finally, I read things in a lot of places where the point is made a lot better than I ever could. Therefore, I see nothing wrong in presenting their actual words rather than my own personal inferior version.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:43 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:34 am
Cortopassi wrote:

I'm someone who believes truth comes in all forms...wherever I find it. It may actually even come from someone with whom I generally disagree!

Finally, I read things in a lot of places where the point is made a lot better than I ever could. Therefore, I see nothing wrong in presenting their actual words rather than my own personal inferior version.
I didn't mean the question in a condescending way. I meant it literally. Sure, you see it on Twitter, but how? Does it show up because it is tracking your interests and coronavirus is something you search?

I find it a little scary at times, like this morning. I asked my Google mini, what's the temperature, and she tells me.

Then she says, I can tell you more about your day if you say "Good Morning"

So I say ok, Google, Good Morning. She told me the weather -- then told me my commute is about 20 minutes -- By Bike.

I bike to work nearly 100% of the time. How the hell do they know that?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:48 am

Couple of interesting articles...

Lies, Damned Lies, and Vaccine Statistics
Hyper-vigilant vaccination advocates are pushing dangerous misinformation about vaccine efficacy
https://drrollergator.substack.com/p/da ... statistics
(More about the statistics being bandied about than an opinion on COVID vaccines)

Well, Duh. This Is Why It Was Stupid
https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=243127
(Uncle Karl on the difference between sterilizing and non-sterilizing vaccines... definitely an opinion on COVID vaccines)
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:09 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:43 am
For Somedude...

Capture.JPG
Thanks Vinny. I am sure my experience is different from some others here, but again ZERO, ZERO personal evidence from friends and families and coworkers that there is a pandemic, and i work in a global company involving India, Canada, and Czech Republic people daily as well as family all over the US. Ive heard of one person getting hospitalized for a respiratory illness after spending a month in S. America.

My boss texted me over the weekend that his wife is midly sick but very fatigued and just tested positive. They were both vaxxed.

Two of my coworkers were out sick yesterday and today. Reason given.....they got vaxxed over the weekend and are too sick to work.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:12 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:43 am
vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:34 am
Cortopassi wrote:

I didn't mean the question in a condescending way. I meant it literally. Sure, you see it on Twitter, but how? Does it show up because it is tracking your interests and coronavirus is something you search?

I find it a little scary at times, like this morning. I asked my Google mini, what's the temperature, and she tells me.

So I say ok, Google, Good Morning. She told me the weather -- then told me my commute is about 20 minutes -- By Bike.

What the Hell is google mini? ahahaha
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:28 pm

So why this guys? Are they measuring numbers differently?

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 pm

The "highest number of reported cases in a day" is fake news that's been making the rounds. Florida shifted from daily to weekly Covid case reporting in early June.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:33 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:43 am

Sorry. I TOTALLY misinterpreted you. Now I'm clear what you are asking.

If you "Follow" people on Twitter, you will have a Twitter feed that gives you everything (in real time) that everyone you follow is tweeting. I think that might be the way the majority of people see things on Twitter.

I rarely look at my Twitter feed. Instead I've set up various lists that incudes tweets from people that generally tweet about certain subjects, e.g., politics, New York Yankees, Boston Celtics, Providence College basketball. The latter three are particularly used for me when I'm watching a game and want to both read what others watching the game are saying and to somewhat interact with them.

But, most of the time, I just look at tweets coming in via my "A" list. On that list I'm getting the real time tweets from about 4,800 Twitter accounts. Those tweets cover an extreme wide range of topics.

The two I put here today came from looking at the tweets from that "A" list.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:58 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 pm
The "highest number of reported cases in a day" is fake news that's been making the rounds. Florida shifted from daily to weekly Covid case reporting in early June.
That should be called out. Jerks.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:03 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:58 pm

Tortoise wrote:

What is your reaction to this stat?

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (14.4 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:16 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:03 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

Capture.JPG
What is a covid 19 hospitalization? This says 1 in every 2,500 Floridians are in the hospital because of covid but who determines why they are there? Are these hospitalized people who tested positive so the hospital is calling it a covid hospitalization? We have the 5th oldest average population but might have the highest percentage of seniors because so many people retire here in there 60s, 70s, etc.

I'm in the most densely populated county in the state and have still not heard of a single person hospitalized for Covid or even someone that someone knows. It's very odd don't you think?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:37 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:16 pm
vnatale wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

Capture.JPG
What is a covid 19 hospitalization? This says 1 in every 2,500 Floridians are in the hospital because of covid but who determines why they are there? Are these hospitalized people who tested positive so the hospital is calling it a covid hospitalization? We have the 5th oldest average population but might have the highest percentage of seniors because so many people retire here in there 60s, 70s, etc.

I'm in the most densely populated county in the state and have still not heard of a single person hospitalized for Covid or even someone that someone knows. It's very odd don't you think?
For a while I was seeing more people masked at the grocery store here in Pinellas county Florida, but when I went yesterday it seems to have dialed back quite a bit. I think people are learning to tune out the headlines. Could turn out to be the story of the boy who cried wolf but the government and media have nobody to blame for that but themselves. But I'm sure they will try.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:11 pm

SomeDude wrote:

vnatale wrote:

Cortopassi wrote:

Tortoise wrote:

Capture.JPG

I have never had any reason to doubt anything you have ever written here. Therefore, I agree with your concluding sentence in the form of a question.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:27 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:37 pm
SomeDude wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

Capture.JPG

For a while I was seeing more people masked at the grocery store here in Pinellas county Florida, but when I went yesterday it seems to have dialed back quite a bit. I think people are learning to tune out the headlines. Could turn out to be the story of the boy who cried wolf but the government and media have nobody to blame for that but themselves. But I'm sure they will try.
Pinellas is the best. I saw more at Publix last week too. Like up from 10% to maybe 30%. Hopefully people are waking up to the BS.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:56 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:27 pm
pp4me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:37 pm
SomeDude wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

Capture.JPG

Pinellas is the best. I saw more at Publix last week too. Like up from 10% to maybe 30%. Hopefully people are waking up to the BS.
Pinellas county is truly awesome but don't tell anyone. It's the most densely populated county in Florida for a reason.

I'm sitting on my porch watching some youtubes at 5:00 in the afternoon and it isn't even hot. Normally, it would be but it's been a rainy summer in which we've have had twice the usual rainfall and many cloudy days. If it was as hot as it was last year I'd be looking forward to October when it finally gets cool and you have at least 9 months to sit out on the porch and be comfortable.

There is hurricane season, of course, but you get used to that as a fact of life.

And then we have the Buccaneers and Tom Brady going for their second super bowl, the lightning with 2 Stanley cups in a row, and the Rays always in the hunt - city of Champions.

As For COVID - f*** it.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:18 am

SomeDude wrote:
I know it's hard to step back from making it all about you, but here's a recent poll:
https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/8w7calyx30/ ... Report.pdf
see pages 17 and 18 where 29% of people have lost a family member or close friend to Covid. A full 25% of Trump voters say they have seen a family member or close friend die from Covid. Are they in on this grand conspiracy also?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:48 am

I think that intellectually I'm in Group B but emotionally I'm in Group C.

You?

Vinny

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (179.32 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:36 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:18 am
SomeDude wrote:
I know it's hard to step back from making it all about you, but here's a recent poll:
see pages 17 and 18 where 29% of people have lost a family member or close friend to Covid. A full 25% of Trump voters say they have seen a family member or close friend die from Covid. Are they in on this grand conspiracy also?
Math is not necessarily my strong suit. But if 600k people have died from Covid and there are 328 million people in the US, that is a death rate of .01. How on earth would 29% of citizens know someone who has died of it? That seems highly unlikely. Or are they counting celebrities like Charlie Pride or the whole I heard about a person at work whose sister’s boyfriend died of it kinda thing. But that doesn’t count as family member or close friend.
Last edited by jalanlong on Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:45 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:48 am
I think that intellectually I'm in Group B but emotionally I'm in Group C.

You?

Vinny

Capture.JPG
Group D here. Never wavered from group D from the very beginning. Depending upon your view that means I am consistent to my principles or inflexible to changing data.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:08 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:36 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:18 am

SomeDude wrote:

Math is not necessarily my strong suit. But if 600k people have died from Covid and there are 328 million people in the US, that is a death rate of .01. How on earth would 29% of citizens know someone who has died of it? That seems highly unlikely. Or are they counting celebrities like Charlie Pride or the whole I heard about a person at work whose sister’s boyfriend died of it kinda thing. But that doesn’t count as family member or close friend.

That would put it somewhat similar to deaths from cancer?

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/researc ... /index.htm

"Cancer was the second leading cause of death, after heart disease, in the United States in 2019. In 2019, there were 599,601 cancer deaths; 283,725 were among females and 315,876 among males."

What would your guess be of what percentage of citizens know someone who has died from cancer?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:12 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:08 pm

"Cancer was the second leading cause of death, after heart disease, in the United States in 2019. In 2019, there were 599,601 cancer deaths; 283,725 were among females and 315,876 among males."

What would your guess be of what percentage of citizens know someone who has died from cancer?
To make it fair, you would need to amend that question to how many know someone who has died from cancer in the past ~18 months.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:16 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:12 pm
vnatale wrote:

To make it fair, you would need to amend that question to how many know someone who has died from cancer in the past ~18 months.
Plus they said family member or close friend. That can be very vague. Is a third cousin a family member? Is a coworker a close friend? I have no immediate family that has died of Covid. I am sure if I went far enough down the tree I would find someone.

My confidence in polls/studies has been greatly diminished ever since I read a deep dive into the technicals of how the data that eating meat causes heart attacks/cancer was gleaned from epistemological data that was less than worthless.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:20 pm

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/0 ... avel-risk/

I look forward to the covidian priesthood to explain what this is all about.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:16 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:12 pm

vnatale wrote:

I agree!