Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Bitcoin mining

Post by vnatale » Wed May 12, 2021 10:28 am

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (40.21 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bitcoin mining

Post by Tortoise » Wed May 12, 2021 12:57 pm

For some context, it would be interesting to see a comparison of the total energy consumption for Bitcoin mining vs. gold mining.

It would also be interesting to see what half of the UK's electricity consumption represents as a fraction of total global electricity consumption.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Wed May 12, 2021 1:05 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:29 am
Seriously. With all the blather about climate change, no steps we take here are going to make any difference unless China and India are brought under conrtol.
Climate change and the communicable disease aspect of public health have something in common. Every country affects every other country because we all share the same planet and atmosphere. So self interest and sovereign independence becomes a real obstacle.

Think about it. What have we heard for the past year? "I don't want my rights infringed upon ostensibly because it is in the collective interest. Especially because you can't empirically prove the risks or the benefits to my satisfaction".
Now translate the same argument to a given country churning emissions into the atmosphere because it is in their economic interest to do so.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed May 12, 2021 1:21 pm

glennds wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:05 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Seriously. With all the blather about climate change, no steps we take here are going to make any difference unless China and India are brought under conrtol.
Climate change and the communicable disease aspect of public health have something in common. Every country affects every other country because we all share the same planet and atmosphere. So self interest and sovereign independence becomes a real obstacle.

Think about it. What have we heard for the past year? "I don't want my rights infringed upon ostensibly because it is in the collective interest. Especially because you can't empirically prove the risks or the benefits to my satisfaction".
Now translate the same argument to a given country churning emissions into the atmosphere because it is in their economic interest to do so.
Pollution is created by a person or person's actions and can directly affect the lives of others. Human beings own the consequence of their action. I.e. if you create pollution you are responsible for the pollution and its effects on others.

This has nothing to do with people wanting to visit friends and families or not wanting to be part of medical experiment because other people "think" they should.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed May 12, 2021 1:35 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:57 pm
For some context, it would be interesting to see a comparison of the total energy consumption for Bitcoin mining vs. gold mining.

It would also be interesting to see what half of the UK's electricity consumption represents as a fraction of total global electricity consumption.
IIRC, it's been claimed that trading crypto (processing the blockchain might be a better way to phrase it?) also requires more energy than SWIFT payments or other things like that.

Which makes intuitive sense, but I may be wrong.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
gaddyslapper007

Post by gaddyslapper007 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:21 pm

"The world produces 160,000 TWh every year. 50,000 TWh is wasted.....Bitcoin uses 120 TWh."

https://twitter.com/BTC_Archive/status/ ... 4950752260
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Wed May 12, 2021 3:30 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:21 pm
glennds wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:05 pm
MangoMan wrote:

Pollution is created by a person or person's actions and can directly affect the lives of others. Human beings own the consequence of their action. I.e. if you create pollution you are responsible for the pollution and its effects on others.

This has nothing to do with people wanting to visit friends and families or not wanting to be part of medical experiment because other people "think" they should.
Forget about the pandemic for just five minutes.

At my place of work, if you are sick and contagious, the HR policies say you must stay home, even if it means using your PTO time. The reason why is because if you come in to work, it significantly increases the chance that you will make your co-workers sick because you're contagious. This was our policy two decades before the pandemic, and it has always made perfect logical sense to everyone. We have never had a single complaint internally or to an outside agency that this policy is discriminatory or inappropriate on any level.

So maybe we can use this example of where one person with a communicable illness actually affects other people and therein by your own admission there is a parallel to the traveling effect of pollution.

BTW, the HR policy is an example of public health. In our policies it resides in a section called "Public health in the Workplace" and the policy is called Presenteeism.