Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:06 pm

🚧 Copied (but not moved) from a Tax Loss Harvesting thread 🚧
MangoMan wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:13 am
vnatale wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:47 pm
Kbg wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:42 pm
Read the IRS publication...we have google the fount of all knowledge.
Or, "Bing it!"
Why do you think Bing is superior to Google? Or is it just that you'd rather have Bill Gates spying on you than Larry Page and Sergey Brin?
(vinny) I bought some personal finance software from someone who had created it. While going through his documentation for it he stated the Bing was the superior search engine to Google. And, he pointed you toward a blind test wherein you'd enter in your search teams and you'd get a side-by-side comparison of the Google and Bing results. I decided that that I liked the Bing results better than the Google results have been using it exclusively since (around 2013). The only time I use Google search is to search within a book - Google books. Otherwise it is always Bing.

I just did a search for that "blink" internet search test but it seems it no longer exists.

And, I always cringe whenever anyone either writes or says, "Google it" "Do a Google search", when what they really mean is "do an internet search".
MangoMan wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:31 am
That's fair. On your recommendation, I will give Bing a try for a few weeks. I will say that I have tried DDG and Startpage for privacy, and found them both to be inferior to Google.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Search Engines

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:09 pm

I’m trying out a few more:

1. Brave - search.brave.com

2. You dot com - you.com

3. duck duck go

You know the 3rd one. People say the results aren’t as good as google, but i think it’s getting better. I like it. Haven’t really tried the first two yet. I read about them in the protonmail blog, privacy section.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:21 pm

Almost without fail it's continued to be Bing for me since I started using it in 2013.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:26 pm

This long article is aimed towards optimizing one's web site so as to get the best results in Google and Bing.

https://www.impression.co.uk/blog/bing-differ-google/

It also has a long, long summary.

Below would be what in that summary is most useful to we search engine users:

This blog has also provided a comparison of Bing and Google beyond ranking factors, looking at SERP features, local search, maps functionalities, and voice search. There are a number of important takeaways from this section:

Google offers additional SERP features such as the AMP elements and Google scholar.
Bing’s local search scours a wider radius by default, whereas Google tends to focus on listings that are in closer proximity to the user.
Google Maps estimates longer journey times than Bing Maps, but also provides more important information regarding the route you have selected.
Bing is moving towards a more visually immersive search experience, offering unique search features not currently used by Google
Google offers a wider selection of images, however Bing’s images are higher-quality and offers more detailed information.
In relation to voice search, the Google Assistant has a greater understanding of linguistic context but less accurate speech recognition than Microsoft’s Cortana (for tips on optimising for voice search through both search engines, see our blog on this issue).
Only Google smart speakers and Google Assistant-enabled devices use Google results for VPA responses, whereas Apple’s Siri, Microsoft’s Cortana, and Amazon’s Alexa all use Bing results.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:30 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:09 pm

I’m trying out a few more:

1. Brave - search.brave.com

2. You dot com - you.com

3. duck duck go

You know the 3rd one. People say the results aren’t as good as google, but i think it’s getting better. I like it. Haven’t really tried the first two yet. I read about them in the protonmail blog, privacy section.

This article might be most directed at what you have above:

https://www.komando.com/tech-tips/searc ... 22/822305/

Search engine comparison: Google vs. Startpage vs. DuckDuckGo vs. Bing
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:49 am

Well that’s a good article, Vin. Kim Comando is often helpful.

My main issue with Bing is that when I search for a certain website that I’m familiar with and just want to get there, Google’s top results will get me there. Even the sponsored results will match the top non-sponsored. With Bing, it looks like the top results match the non-sponsored, but if you mouse over the link, it’s very different.

However, once you realize that, it’s not an issue anymore. Just ignored the sponsored results.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:17 am

From another thread:
vnatale wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:10 am
I don't think I ever knew this and was going to ask you for your source of information.

But after putting in your exact words in a Bing search I see that there is plenty of support for this. I've not yet read any of them to see if I believe the sources.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=A+CIA+cou ... &FORM=PERE

Vinny, I think it's time to retire "Bing". It's triggering to remember the Walmart shooter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Ches ... erpetrator
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:43 am

Xan wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:17 am

From another thread:

vnatale wrote:
I don't think I ever knew this and was going to ask you for your source of information.

But after putting in your exact words in a Bing search I see that there is plenty of support for this. I've not yet read any of them to see if I believe the sources.

Vinny, I think it's time to retire "Bing". It's triggering to remember the Walmart shooter.

Until I followed what you provided I'd never prior known that shooter's name. But it seems like he has no connection with Bing the search engine other than same name?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:49 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:43 am
Xan wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:17 am
From another thread:
vnatale wrote:

Until I followed what you provided I'd never prior known that shooter's name. But it seems like he has no connection with Bing the search engine other than same name?

Maybe, but I'm not going to take any chances!