Washington Journal

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Washington Journal

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:21 am

He presents an alternative viewpoint from what you hear from most black people. Most here would probably agree with what he had to say. He believes that there are racists (around the world) but that the country does not have a Racism problem.

Vinny

JUNE 20, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 06/20/2022
Washington Journal
William B. Allen on The State of Black America
Center for Urban Renewal resident scholar William B. Allen discusses that group’s latest publication, The State of Black America: Progress, Pitfalls, and the Promise of the Republic.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?521141-3/ ... ck-america
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:48 am

JUNE 25, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 06/25/2022
Washington Journal

Washington Journal: Wydra & Smith

Constitutional Accountability Center’s Elizabeth Wydra and Heritage Foundation’s Zack Smith discussed the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?521307-3/ ... oundations
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:37 am

JUNE 26, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 06/26/2022
Washington Journal

Jeff Gilbert Discussed the Auto Industry

WWJ Newsradio’s Jeff Gilbert discusses the state of the automobile industry.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?521308-3/ ... o-industry

JUNE 26, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 06/26/2022
Washington Journal

Peter Norton and Shawn Wilson Discuss the 1956 Federal Aid Highway Act

Shawn Wilson, president of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) and Peter Norton, a University of Virginia professor, talk about the 1956 Federal Aid Highway Act that created the national Interstate system and the impact its building has had on the American landscape. close

https://www.c-span.org/video/?521308-5/ ... ighway-act
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:57 am

JUNE 27, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 06/27/2022
Washington Journal

Timothy Head on Faith and Religion in the 2022 Midterm Elections

Timothy Head talked about issues of faith and religion in the 2022 midterm elections

https://www.c-span.org/video/?521309-3/ ... -elections
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:29 am

JUNE 29, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 06/29/2022
Washington Journal

Daniel Suhr and Rebecca Markert on Religious Liberty in the U.S.

Daniel Suhr and Rebecca Markert talked about religious liberty cases heard by the Supreme Court.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?521359-3/ ... liberty-us
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:29 am
Washington Journal

Daniel Suhr and Rebecca Markert talked about religious liberty cases heard by the Supreme Court.

Do you have any "nuggets" of wisdom on these discussions for those who don't listen?

Thanks, ... M
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:35 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 am

vnatale wrote:

Washington Journal

Do you have any "nuggets" of wisdom on these discussions for those who don't listen?

Thanks, ... M

Unfortunately not. I put these things here because I'm fairly certain that they are of interest to a lot here. But oftentimes I become aware of them, like now, while I'm involved in my several hour exercise regime and originally putting it here and now responding is about all I can do in the allotted time for rest breaks in between my barbell exercises.

I'd encourage you, of all people. to at least listen.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:47 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:35 am
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Washington Journal

Thanks, ... M
Unfortunately not. I put these things here because I'm fairly certain that they are of interest to a lot here. But oftentimes I become aware of them, like now, while I'm involved in my several hour exercise regime and originally putting it here and now responding is about all I can do in the allotted time for rest breaks in between my barbell exercises.

Thanks for the encouragement Vinny. I listened to about 10 minutes and came to the realization “What can I do with this info? Mostly nothing.” It just didn’t grab my attention as it was another an example of relativity wide spread differing worldviews. I’m glad you found value in it. It was consistent with the position that Christianity gets attacked from all sides, particularly by the religion of the secular which is typically love of self above all others. But like I said, I only listened for a short time. On the plus side the participants seemed polite. YMMV
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:12 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:47 pm

vnatale wrote:

Mountaineer wrote:

vnatale wrote:

Washington Journal

Thanks, ... M

Thanks for the encouragement Vinny. I listened to about 10 minutes and came to the realization “What can I do with this info? Mostly nothing.” It just didn’t grab my attention as it was another an example of relativity wide spread differing worldviews. I’m glad you found value in it. It was consistent with the position that Christianity gets attacked from all sides, particularly by the religion of the secular which is typically love of self above all others. But like I said, I only listened for a short time. On the plus side the participants seemed polite. YMMV

The two guests were on completely opposite sides of the issues involved. I find that highly stimulating on an intellectual level and hearing both of their arguments forces me to compare my current positions to their arguments for their positions. Whether what they say conforms with my positions or whether I might need to re-assess by current beliefs.

No one seems to have a 100% market on all the truths. Which drives me to expose myself to listen to those holding positions opposite to my own to see if there are any chinks in my beliefs or wisdom provided by those holding opposing beliefs.

I'm generally quite firm on my beliefs by I can, at times, quickly change them 180 degrees if presented with some compelling information.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:13 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:12 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:47 pm

vnatale wrote:

Mountaineer wrote:

vnatale wrote:

Washington Journal

Thanks, ... M

The two guests were on completely opposite sides of the issues involved. I find that highly stimulating on an intellectual level and hearing both of their arguments forces me to compare my current positions to their arguments for their positions. Whether what they say conforms with my positions or whether I might need to re-assess by current beliefs.

No one seems to have a 100% market on all the truths. Which drives me to expose myself to listen to those holding positions opposite to my own to see if there are any chinks in my beliefs or wisdom provided by those holding opposing beliefs.

I'm generally quite firm on my beliefs by I can, at times, quickly change some long-held positions 180 degrees if presented with some compelling information to do so.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:05 am

JULY 12, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 07/12/2022

Washington Journal

Frank Buckley on Progressive Conservatism

Frank Buckley talked about his book, Progressive Conservatism: How Republicans Will Become America’s Natural Governing Party.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?521558-3/ ... atism&live
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:48 am

JULY 16, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 07/16/2022
Washington Journal

Corey Nathan Discusses His Podcast on Politics and Religion

Podcaster Corey Nathan discusses his podcast looking at the intersection of politics and religion.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?521630-5/ ... igion&live
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:08 am

JULY 17, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 07/17/2022
Washington Journal
Open Phones, Part 1
Viewers responded via phone and social media to the question, “How worried are you about COVID-19?”

https://www.c-span.org/video/?521671-2/ ... ewer-calls
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:16 am

JULY 19, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 07/19/2022
Washington Journal
Adam Andrzejewski on Wasteful Government Spending
OpenTheBooks.com founder Adam Andrzejewski talked about his group’s report on wasteful government spending.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?521673-5/ ... nding&live
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:48 am

https://www.c-span.org/video/?521952-2/ ... ewer-calls

JULY 25, 2022
Washington Journal
Open Phones, Part 1
Republican viewers responded to the question “Should former President Trump run in 2024?”
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:18 am

https://www.c-span.org/video/?522002-10 ... parties-us

JULY 31, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 07/31/2022
Washington Journal
Bernard Tamas on the History of Third Parties in the U.S.

Third party expert Bernard Tamas of Valdosta State University talked about the formation of the new Forward Party and the history of third parties in the United States.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:11 am

https://www.c-span.org/video/?522108-3/ ... tions&live

AUGUST 3, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 08/03/2022
Washington Journal
Lyle Goldstein on Speaker Pelosi's Trip to Taiwan and U.S.-China Relations

Lyle Goldstein talked about Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) trip to Taiwan and its impact on U.S.-China relations.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:43 pm

https://www.c-span.org/video/?522219-3/ ... challenges

AUGUST 11, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 08/11/2022
Washington Journal
Dr. Anand Parekh on the Federal Response to Health Challenges
Dr. Anand Parekh talked about how the federal government could best respond to current and future public health challenges.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:55 am

On now! Or, you could watch it anytime later.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?522435-4/ ... study&live

AUGUST 25, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 08/25/2022
Washington Journal
Robb Willer on Stanford's Strengthening Democracy Study
Stanford University’s Robb Willer talked about the university’s Strengthening Democracy Study, which tested 25 strategies among 32,000 Americans to learn which could reduce partisan animosity and curb antidemocratic attitudes.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:20 am

Could you summarize his main point(s)?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:13 am

Kbg wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:20 am

Could you summarize his main point(s)?

Cannot because ....

1) I'm Mr. Detail ... a terrible summarizer

2) But, more importantly, I always have it on while I'm doing things like this and when I am doing this my brain does not let me hear sounds. So, I'm always hearing just bits and pieces. But I heard enough to hear that it was worthwhile.

They do have full text here:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?522435-4/ ... racy-study

in case you wanted to quickly scan what was said during this segment.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:10 am

As many of you know I have on C-Span's Washington Journal on my TV every morning of the year from 7 AM to 10 AM (EST). As a result of that someone who has been living with me has heard some segments. He has termed the callers "mixed nuts" as he hears some somewhat wacko callers from both the liberal and conservative sides call in. He and I have discussed our puzzlement as to why these individuals who seem to have limited intelligence chose to view a program such as Washington Journal rather than something else that is on TV which offers far more entertainment.

However, this particular segment below has been one of the most substantive caller segments I have even heard in my almost 40 years of watching / listening to Washington Journal. As you can see from the picture capture below the question to callers was: "Is A College Degree Worth The Cost". This occurred during "Open Phones" segment of Washington Journal. The other segments are where they have a guest and people call in to ask those guests questions. In "Open Phones" they will either have a topic which the callers are to address or there can be no topic and the callers can talk about anything they wish.

In this segment below many of the callers went on at length giving their life experiences to back up whether or not they considered a College Degree being worth the cost. Just about every one of them gave substantial valid, logical evidence to back up their opinion. Many of them touched upon the wisdom of forgiving student debt.

Finally, if Mountaineer is reading this. Mountaineer you've many times stated that before you will invest your time into something .... it has to pass several barriers. The overall theme of the barriers is what is its ultimate value to me (you).

In my case ... every morning I start my day with cleaning litter boxes, feeding three cats and six gerbils, straightening / organizing anything I left out of place from the prior night, and any other things that need specific attention. I'm constantly moving through the house while accomplishing all those tasks. Using my wireless headphones I listened to almost this entire segment of Washington Journal. So I considered its cost "free" in that it was not demanding my full attention in way that precludes also getting other things done. The same way I've had it on now in the background while I do something like this and then all the following usual computer work I do every morning.

So long, long, long introduction to heartily recommending listening (watching too if that is your style) the following:

AUGUST 28, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 08/28/2022
Washington Journal
Open Phones
Join us with your calls and comments on social media as we review the latest news headlines out of Washington.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?522438-2/ ... ewer-calls

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (80.91 KiB) Viewed 3555 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:07 am

Washington Journal
Christopher Mayer on the State of the U.S. Housing Industry
Christopher Mayer talked about the state of the U.S. housing industry and indications of whether the nation is in a “housing recession.”

https://www.c-span.org/video/?522547-5/ ... g-industry

00:38:51
PROFESSOR, WHAT INDICATORS, ECONOMIC INDICATORS ARE YOU WATCHING IN THE COMING WEEKS AND WHY?

*This text was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.

00:38:58
I PAY A LOT OF ATTENTION TO MORTGAGE RATES. THAT WILL SOUND A LITTLE BIT OF A GEEK KIND OF ANSWER BUT I PAY ATTENTION TO REAL INTEREST RATES. WHICH IS INTEREST RATES AFTER INFLATION. BECAUSE HOUSING AND REAL ESTATE IS A DURABLE GOOD. IT IS A LONG-LIVED ASSET, WHICH MEANS IT WILL BE AROUND A LONG TIME. MY RESEARCH AND OTHER RESEARCH -- AND BY THE WAY, WHEN I LOOK AT REAL, INTEREST RATES AFTER INFLATION, SO IF YOU WANT TO GO TO THE SAME DATA I LOOK AT, YOU CAN GO TO A SITE RUN BY THE ST. LOUIS FED CALLED FRED. IF YOU GOOGLE FRED ECONOMIC INDICATORS AND LOOK FOR INFLATION INDEX INTEREST RATES, LOOK AT THE TENURE RATE, I TEND TO LOOK AT THAT AND SAY HOW DOES THAT SAY SOMETHING ABOUT WHERE PRICES ARE? THE TENURE RATE, REAL INTEREST RATES, ARE HIGH RELATIVE TO WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN OVER THE PAST 15 YEARS PARTLY BECAUSE OF THE FED ACTION OF BUYING BONDS, ETC.. I LOOK AT MORTGAGE RATES, I LOOK AT REAL INTEREST RATES, AND I LOOK AT CONSTRUCTION. LOOKING AT RENTS AND PRICES IN THE HOUSING MARKET AND HOMEOWNERSHIP. A LOT OF THE STATISTICS I'VE TALKED ABOUT HERE, VIRTUALLY ALL OF THOSE ARE AVAILABLE ON THE ST. LOUIS FED WEBSITE. YOU WILL SEE MANY NEWSPAPER WRITERS AND COMMENTATORS CUT THAT STUFF DIRECTLY. THERE IS A LOT OF DATA AVAILABLE AND YOU HAVE TO PAY -- DON'T HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING FOR IT AND YOU CAN LOOK AT 30 OR MORTGAGE RATES BACK TO THE 1970'S. IN THE DATA, YOU CAN LOOK AT SOME OF THE OTHER DATA. I ALWAYS LOOK AT FORWARD-LOOKING INFLATION. THE HEADLINES ABOUT INFLATION ARE DIFFERENT THAN WHAT INVESTORS ARE BETTING ON IN THE MARKETS, BECAUSE INVESTORS' EXPECTATIONS PEAKED IN MARCH OF APRIL -- MARCH AND APRIL OF THIS YEAR AND INVESTORS EXPECTATIONS HAVE GONE DOWN AND FURTHER. THE MARKET THOUGHT FOR A WHILE INFLATION IS LIKELY TO GET UNDER CONTROL. THOSE ARE THE THINGS I TEND TO LOOK AT, SOME OF THE MORE KIKI ECONOMIST INDICATORS AND SOME OF THEM ARE THE SAME THINGS PEOPLE LOOKED AT IN GENERAL TO TRY TO TRACK THE REAL ESTATE MARKET. WHAT ARE PRICES? WHAT ARE RENTS? WHAT ARE MORTGAGE RATES?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:16 am

On now but go below to listen at any time....

SEPTEMBER 8, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 09/08/2022
Washington Journal
Diana Furchtgott-Roth and Dean Baker on Manufacturing and the U.S. Economy
Diana Furchtgott-Roth and Dean Baker talked about manufacturing, inflation, and the U.S. economy.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?522645-3/ ... us-economy
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:58 am

SEPTEMBER 14, 2022 | PART OF WASHINGTON JOURNAL 09/14/2022
Washington Journal
Retired Lt. Gen. Stephen Twitty on Russia-Ukraine War
Retired Lt. General Stephen Twitty, former deputy commander of the U.S. European Command, talked about developments in Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?522796-4/ ... kraine-war