Quality Time Left

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Quality Time Left

Post by joypog » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:06 pm

Fidelity has autoroll if you're already with them. Maybe other brokerages as well.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Quality Time Left

Post by Kbg » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:12 pm

I use TD exclusively for USG debt and match expiration to need. In my case I have money invested monthly and withdraw annually. I have a spreadsheet that lists out what length to buy and what length to roll to when it is maturing. My max is 26 weeks as I need the money before a full year is up. So in January I'll buy a 26wk, then a 13wk, 8wk and finally a 4wk or off to the bank account depending on roll timing. Feb would not have the 4wk and so forth to Nov which would be a single 4wk.

It was a bit complex to figure out but now it is simply a monthly table look up and do whatever the spreadsheet says to do.

It would be much easier to pick a shorter length and do x number of autorolls but the above gets the max interest possible. A presumption is I can't predict interest rates but I can chose the highest rate available at the time of purchase which is directly related to maturity length.

I'm still not what I consider old, but I can see old is coming and a transition to simplification and minimal input/effort is something on my mind. Lot's of studies indicate that continuing to self-invest when aging (primarily brain function) kicks in is highly prone to damaging your wealth. I'm pretty active in trading in a couple of accounts and phat phingers are a thing for sure. At this point I catch them quickly and damage is minimal though usually not without some cost...but I can definitely see making an accidental serious mistake if I wasn't quite all there or non-attentive.