dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Better Call Saul (Final Season)

Post by dualstow » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:51 pm

older thread (MangoMan 2018):
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6832
// This has been your friendly thread organization bot, bleep-bloop
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2022 JULY, pasted from Netflix thread
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Xan wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:20 pm
Anybody see Better Call Saul this week?

(SPOILERS AHEAD)

Why didn't Kim flag down the cops? I guess because everything she'd done to Howard would come to light? I suppose it would ruin her career. Still, she'd rather murder a guy?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:29 pm

Is it on American Netflix yet? Definitely not on Canadian... :P
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Better Call Saul (Final Season)

Post by dualstow » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:53 pm

@Xan:

Answer: because Lalo was holding her beloved hostage!
Lalo is a juggernaut. The cops wouldn’t be able to stop him.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:57 pm

@Smithers:

It is broadcast live in the States on the AMC channel (where Breaking Bad also originally aired). I’m surprised to hear it’s not on Canadian Netflix but maybe you have AMC?
It is definitely airing on European and Asian Netflix, one night a week. (You can find young people online asking, “Why can’t I watch all the episodes at once?” and it’s clear that they have no idea what cable TV is. O0

U.S. Netflix has the older Saul seasons and Breaking Bad for the time being.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:51 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:57 pm
@Smithers:

It is broadcast live in the States on the AMC channel (where Breaking Bad also originally aired). I’m surprised to hear it’s not on Canadian Netflix but maybe you have AMC?
It is definitely airing on European and Asian Netflix, one night a week. (You can find young people online asking, “Why can’t I watch all the episodes at once?” and it’s clear that they have no idea what cable TV is. O0

U.S. Netflix has the older Saul seasons and Breaking Bad for the time being.
Sigh... I think it's time for me to put my eye patch back on...

ARrrrRrrrr matey!!! ;D
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:12 pm

Smith, maybe you can use a VPN?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:54 am

Wow, this latest episode was gut-punch after gut-punch.

I've been assuming Kim would be killed in a tragic accident; it looked like they were setting that up with her car crash. But what is the worst case scenario, the thing that would make Jimmy give up completely and turn himself over to his worst instincts? It's her leaving voluntarily. Brilliant.

Did you get the sense that this latest episode (particularly the last montage) was the end of the "prequel" part of the show? Doesn't seem like there's much else to tell there. That means the rest of the series will be about "Gene" in Omaha. Maybe there's a chance for a happy ending for Jimmy yet.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:24 am

A very enjoyable episode.

Yeah, I’ve heard whispers about some Gene-oriented episdodes and I hope that’s the case. That would be satisfying.
I miss Kim already.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:27 am

I still haven’t seen any of this latest season! 😭😭😭
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:13 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:27 am
We love you, Smithers, but get out of the thread now 😱
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:18 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:13 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:27 am
We love you, Smithers, but get out of the thread now 😱
It’s too late! The spoilers… it burns! 🔥
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:12 pm

O0 O0
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:54 pm

I keep wondering how on earth Gus constructed a subterranean tunnel between two single family homes in secret.

Loved how all the intricate details implicating Nacho in the hacienda hit came together to throw Eladio off Gus' trail.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:08 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:05 pm
What was the point of the last episode? What does Jimmy working for Cinnabon and stealing retail have to do with anything?
The Breaking Bad prequel appears to have ended and now we’re in sequel territory. (Although that doesn’t mean they won’t flashback next week). This episode shows how Gene can’t escape the Jimmy/Saul urge to be a grifter. It’s who he is. He may even be tempted to return to Albuquerque, especially if he gets busted by Carol Burnett, but maybe just because.

This also shows how Gene deftly dealt with Jeff, the cabbie who recognized him earlier and passively threatened to expose him. Instead of doing something violent to Jeff, who is now played by a different actor due to contractual obligations, he gave him a taste of The Game.

I thought it was a brilliant episode and hilarious to boot. People are pretty divided about it, but whatever. I actually thought of this forum. I thought to myself, wasn’t that Pugchief who didn’t like some of the Breaking Bad scenes that didn’t move the plot forward and repeatedly suggested “trimming the fat” - ? O0
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:08 pm

What was going on in the wine scene with Gus? Why did he abruptly get up and leave when the manager left to get the bottle to show him? I have one theory but not sure about it.
Will that be the last we see of him if the prequel is now done?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:32 am

I think the last episode was needed to remind us that Jimmy is still Saul. It's not like he's reformed during his time as Gene.

There was a tiny bit of sincerity when he talked about his brother being dead. That was sad.

I was surprised the whole thing was black and white. Didn't we transition "sequel" things to color in the opening scene of this series?

Great to see Carol Burnet.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:32 am

Xan wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:32 am
I think the last episode was needed to remind us that Jimmy is still Saul. It's not like he's reformed during his time as Gene.

There was a tiny bit of sincerity when he talked about his brother being dead. That was sad.

I was surprised the whole thing was black and white. Didn't we transition "sequel" things to color in the opening scene of this series?

Do you think he pulled the scam because it's who he is, couldn't resist, moth to flame type of thing?
Or did he do it purely tactically in light of Jeff recognizing him in the mall, and the scam was only to give him the leverage he needed to keep Jeff quiet?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:44 am

glennds wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:32 am
Xan wrote:

Do you think he pulled the scam because it's who he is, couldn't resist, moth to flame type of thing?
Or did he do it purely tactically in light of Jeff recognizing him in the mall, and the scam was only to give him the leverage he needed to keep Jeff quiet?
I'm not sure I see a difference between the two. He has a problem, and this is his solution. The only solution he knows.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:35 am

Xan wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:44 am
glennds wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:32 am
Xan wrote:

I'm not sure I see a difference between the two. He has a problem, and this is his solution. The only solution he knows.
Well maybe another way of asking the question - would he have gotten involved in a scam at all if it had not been for the fact that Jeff ID'd him?
At first I thought scamming is his addiction and his craft, and he was drawn to it because it's who he is Jeff problem or no problem. And maybe Jeff was only an opportunity to get into mischief that he would have found a way to get into anyway. The difference is the motivation.

But on reflection, I recall his first step was to call the vacuum guy and see if he could get vacuumed again. When the cost was prohibitive, he came up with the scam as the next best way to keep his Gene identity yet neutralize Jeff as a risk. So if it hadn't been for Jeff IDing him, he probably would have stayed on the straight and narrow.

As an aside I thought the ad hoc crying breakdown that he had in front of the security guy was a great throwback to Walt doing the same in Hank's office in BB when he planted the bug. Hank was just as uncomfortable with the crying as the security guy.

Their use of color in both shows is really good. I think the Gene scenes are all in black and white to drive home how mundane and empty his life is in comparison to how colorful it was before. Maybe if he sheds the Gene skin and become Saul again, they'll go back to color to reinforce the transformation. But I'm not sure that will happen. When he picked up the colorful clothes in the store and then puts them back, I thought that was symbolizing that he's left that life behind and he knows it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:47 pm

glennds wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:35 am
As an aside I thought the ad hoc crying breakdown that he had in front of the security guy was a great throwback to Walt doing the same in Hank's office in BB when he planted the bug. Hank was just as uncomfortable with the crying as the security guy.

Yes 😂
Their use of color in both shows is really good. I think the Gene scenes are all in black and white to drive home how mundane and empty his life is in comparison to how colorful it was before.

A/V Club calls it monochrOmaha.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:40 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:47 pm
[
Their use of color in both shows is really good. I think the Gene scenes are all in black and white to drive home how mundane and empty his life is in comparison to how colorful it was before.

A/V Club calls it monochrOmaha.
Can't you just imagine Kim in her own black & white mundane existence somewhere while Gene is in Omaha?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:40 am

Yes, and I could watch Kim all day, even in black & white.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:02 pm

So as a result of their conversation, are Kim and Jimmy both doing the same thing by different means? Turning themselves in? Right after that, Jimmy started this scam, and then got really brazen (and to a new level of moral awfulness) for no real reason.

He nearly committed two murders. I was relieved when he wouldn't kill Carol Burnett, but it was touch and go!

ALSO:

What are the rules of black & white? Jimmy's black & white started when his exile in Omaha began. Basically when he just had to keep his head down and stop being interesting. So why didn't it go away when he started scamming again?

And when did Kim's black & white start? Only when Jimmy's did? That wouldn't make sense. It would have to be when she moved to Florida. But there she is in color signing the divorce papers.

It would make more sense for everybody's black & white to start when Kim left. But of course that would cover all of Breaking Bad.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:01 am

Xan wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:02 pm
What are the rules of black & white? Jimmy's black & white started when his exile in Omaha began. Basically when he just had to keep his head down and stop being interesting. So why didn't it go away when he started scamming again?
I would think it could get pretty complicated if they set a precedent for switching. Would they have to switch back to B&W if he did a good deed or took the high road and got bored.

It was a nice touch that the old “Better Call Saul” ads from Burnett’s computer reflected on his black and white glasses in color. Apparently they did that in E1S1, I don’t remember, but it’s been mentioned online.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:04 am

So, so good. Love it.
I’m going to miss this show, but I’m also glad it’s not going on forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:22 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:04 am
So, so good. Love it.
I’m going to miss this show, but I’m also glad it’s not going on forever.
Yeah.. How I Met Your Mother went on like 4 seasons longer than it should have. I understand the incentive to drag these things out (money), but it just sucks to see a good show/franchise die a slow death.

The Marvel movies are a case in point. The story ended with Endgame IMO.