Facebook Permanent Portfolio group

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Facebook Permanent Portfolio group

Post by vnatale » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:22 pm

There is a Facebook Permanent Portfolio group. It only has six members (including me) and the below represents its second to last activity since May 29th. So clearly not an active group.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (85.55 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Facebook Permanent Portfolio group

Post by dualstow » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:39 pm

Cool story Vinny
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:49 pm

Can we get mathjak and budd on it?
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:11 pm

joypog wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:49 pm

Can we get mathjak and budd on it?

I could invite those five other Facebook members to join us!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:53 am

Vinny, you’ve got me on Facebook. Can you invite me?
πŸ›ž The All-Terrain Portfolio πŸ›ž
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:49 am

Smith1776 wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:53 am

Vinny, you’ve got me on Facebook. Can you invite me?

Invitation sent.

But I believe anyone can join by going here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/291458589731062
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:20 pm

vnatale wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:22 pm
There is a Facebook Permanent Portfolio group. It only has six members (including me) and the below represents its second to last activity since May 29th. So clearly not an active group.

Capture.JPG
Are you using the PP?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:23 pm

I Shrugged wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:20 pm

Capture.JPG

Are you using the PP?

Not yet. With all the money I'm spending on my house this year and all the investigation that is taking ... the Permanent Portfolio investigation has been put on the shelf.

Only want to have so much "work" going on at one time.

After I finish this post I'm going on to analyze electricity usage to come up with what size Solar installation I need.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:39 pm

Mark me down as one who enjoyed the discussions (in all folders) more when the group consisted mainly of those who used the PP or something fairly close to it. Now it seems like those still here who do could meet in a restaurant booth. Not to say I'm against reading some dissonant thoughts, but the balance is way off. Oh well, that's life on the internet.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:49 pm

MangoMan wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:27 pm
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:23 pm

Capture.JPG
Are you using the PP?
Of course he isn't.
Like I said.

I guess 3.5 years on this forum isn't enough to be convinced.
On the plus side, at least Vinny isn't here to tell us why he hates the PP, like one or two others are.

It's funny how random groups of people form on the internet. It's like a bunch of subway riders who take the same train every day for 30 years and end up going to the funerals when one dies. We are closer to that than to a PP group.

So sure, why not a Facebook Group? (I'll pass)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:54 pm

Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:49 pm
…
It's funny how random groups of people form on the internet. It's like a bunch of subway riders who take the same train every day for 30 years and end up going to the funerals when one dies. We are closer to that than to a PP group.

So sure, why not a Facebook Group? (I'll pass)
I know a random group (not on fb), like 5 people, whom I’ve been chatting with for over 17 years now. Fun. No photos, but the personalities have really come out over the years.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:21 pm

Capture.JPG

Are you using the PP?

Of course he isn't.

Like I said.

Not the issue. The issue is implementation. I have a myriad of different retirement plan, with every conceivable different tax treatment. So when I collapse them all I have to be super careful in keeping like taxation retirement vehicles one another and not mixing differently taxed ones.

Then I want to have all the next steps figured out after I implement.

It's somewhat related to having a will.

You are a husband and wife with kids. It goes first to the surviving spouse and then the children. Probably 99% are like that? I have no one my assets would naturally go to so it's all wide open for me. Takes far more time to figure that out than the traditional husband / wife with children.

I have all these various retirement accounts - Roth and Traditional layered on to 401(k)'s, IRA's, SEP-IRA, SIMPLE-IRA, Solo 401(k)'s. Non-deductible IRA's. Seems like I may be missing one or two others.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:25 pm

Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:21 pm

Capture.JPG
Are you using the PP?
Of course he isn't.
Like I said.

Not the issue. The issue is implementation. I have a myriad of different retirement plan, with every conceivable different tax treatment. So when I collapse them all I have to be super careful in keeping like taxation retirement vehicles one another and not mixing differently taxed ones.

You are a husband and wife with kids. It goes first to the surviving spouse and then the children. Probably 99% are like that? I have no one my assets would naturally go to so it's all wide open for me. Takes far more time to figure that out than the traditional husband / wife with children.

I have all these various retirement accounts - Roth and Traditional layered on to 401(k)'s, IRA's, SEP-IRA, SIMPLE-IRA, Solo 401(k)'s. Non-deductible IRA's. Seems like I may be missing one or two others.
Golden Butterfly? ;D I mean, when you're ready of course.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:26 pm

In the immortal words of Pokemon, "Gotta catch 'em all!"
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:10 pm

Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:25 pm

Capture.JPG

Are you using the PP?

Of course he isn't.

Like I said.

Golden Butterfly? ;D I mean, when you're ready of course.

I am attracted to that version of the Permanent Portfolio. The implementation will be fairly easy once I determine how many differently taxed retirement vehicles I have. Then a decision will have to be made if it gets implemented any differently for Roth / Traditional taxed ones. Which of the four belong in Roth / Traditional.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:25 pm

Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:10 pm
I am attracted to that version of the Permanent Portfolio. The implementation will be fairly easy once I determine how many differently taxed retirement vehicles I have. Then a decision will have to be made if it gets implemented any differently for Roth / Traditional taxed ones. Which of the four belong in Roth / Traditional.
Good stuff.

I feel like once you finally adopt the PP/GB or whatever offshoot we will need to have a party. O0
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:54 am

I have no one my assets would naturally go to so it's all wide open for me. Takes far more time to figure that out than the traditional husband / wife with children.

Vinny my brother, allow me to step up to the plate and volunteer to help you out of this quandry. Should I PM you my offical name, address, etc. so you can set up the necessary legal documents for when you pass? Always glad to help out. O0

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:13 am

Mountaineer wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:54 am

I have no one my assets would naturally go to so it's all wide open for me. Takes far more time to figure that out than the traditional husband / wife with children.

Vinny my brother, allow me to step up to the plate and volunteer to help you out of this quandry. Should I PM you my offical name, address, etc. so you can set up the necessary legal documents for when you pass? Always glad to help out. O0

... Mountaineer

Thanks for the generous offer! However, I do have to take into account that you are my elder by three or four or five years! I may still be here while you are not!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:34 am

There was recent activity in the Facebook Permanent Portfolio group. As far as I can tell there are two of us from here who are also there.

One thing that just occurred to me is that in the Facebook Permanent Portfolio group all participants use their real names while in this forum it is rare that anyone reveals their real names. In both cases it is the same subject being discussed.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (50.58 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:44 am

Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:34 am
There was recent activity in the Facebook Permanent Portfolio group. As far as I can tell there are two of us from here who are also there.

One thing that just occurred to me is that in the Facebook Permanent Portfolio group all participants use their real names while in this forum it is rare that anyone reveals their real names. In both cases it is the same subject being discussed.

Capture.JPG
I saw that post... that Ray Bacon fellow is just discovering Portfolio Visualizer. They grow up so fast, eh?? :D

P.S. he really needs to charge his phone.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:28 pm

Only the Italians on this forum give their real names for some reason.
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:44 am

P.S. he really needs to charge his phone.
O0 He clearly didn’t hear Xan. (Was it Xan?)
Sip from 40% to 70% for optimal battrery life.