Administrator

Old Computers

Post by Xan » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:16 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:09 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:16 pm
...Sound Blaster
I remember when I first got into PC building (this was like 2005 or so), it was a serious faux pas amongst enthusiasts to use onboard audio. To be fair, those sound blaster cards were REALLY good at creating spatial audio.

The usual snide remark about onboard audio was "do you really want to hear data going across your USB bus when you put on your headphones?" ::)

When I first got into PC building around 1990, there was no such thing as onboard audio. The SoundBlaster really was revolutionary. The equivalent thing being built into motherboards was actually really convenient: most PC users don't really care about a bit of noise in their audio.

I remember that Altec Lansing (the speaker company) around 1998 came out with a line called "True Digital Audio". The idea was that the audio stayed digital and went to the speakers over USB, so your digital-to-audio was carried out in a dedicated audio device completely separate from your PC. That's the way to do low-noise, for sure. Frustratingly, the lowest-end "True Digital Audio" speakers, which I bought, turned out to only use the USB connection for volume control, and you still had to use a 1/8" cable for the actual audio, which of course is not "True Digital Audio" at all. False advertising and I've hated them with a passion ever since.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Old Computers

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:37 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:16 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
dualstow wrote:
...Sound Blaster
I remember when I first got into PC building (this was like 2005 or so), it was a serious faux pas amongst enthusiasts to use onboard audio. To be fair, those sound blaster cards were REALLY good at creating spatial audio.

The usual snide remark about onboard audio was "do you really want to hear data going across your USB bus when you put on your headphones?" ::)

When I first got into PC building around 1990, there was no such thing as onboard audio. The SoundBlaster really was revolutionary. The equivalent thing being built into motherboards was actually really convenient: most PC users don't really care about a bit of noise in their audio.

I remember that Altec Lansing (the speaker company) around 1998 came out with a line called "True Digital Audio". The idea was that the audio stayed digital and went to the speakers over USB, so your digital-to-audio was carried out in a dedicated audio device completely separate from your PC. That's the way to do low-noise, for sure. Frustratingly, the lowest-end "True Digital Audio" speakers, which I bought, turned out to only use the USB connection for volume control, and you still had to use a 1/8" cable for the actual audio, which of course is not "True Digital Audio" at all. False advertising and I've hated them with a passion ever since.
Great story. I remember reading somewhere (maybe an article in Maximum PC?) that much of the noise reduction advantages of the dedicated audio card literally just came from the fact that the card was elevated off the motherboard and physically distant.

I used that audio card to hook up my first set of 5.1 speakers to play Counter-Strike: Source. Sigh. I miss being a teenager.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:56 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:37 pm
Xan wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:16 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
dualstow wrote:
...Sound Blaster

When I first got into PC building around 1990, there was no such thing as onboard audio. The SoundBlaster really was revolutionary. The equivalent thing being built into motherboards was actually really convenient: most PC users don't really care about a bit of noise in their audio
Great story. I remember reading somewhere (maybe an article in Maximum PC?) that much of the noise reduction advantages of the dedicated audio card literally just came from the fact that the card was elevated off the motherboard and physically distant.

I used that audio card to hook up my first set of 5.1 speakers to play Counter-Strike: Source. Sigh. I miss being a teenager.
Well, you can reminisce here! https://books.google.com.au/books?id=w_ ... ues_anchor

FWIW, My first PC was a Commodore PC10. :o
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:04 pm

Hal wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:56 pm

Well, you can reminisce here! https://books.google.com.au/books?id=w_ ... ues_anchor

FWIW, My first PC was a Commodore PC10. :o
Ha! Thanks!! I will have a fun time browsing these!!

The first PC I remember ever seeing in my life was an Apple II in my childhood home.

We went from that to:

- IBM Aptiva with a 486 DX2 and 4MB of RAM
- Dell desktop with an Intel Celeron (300MHz?)
- eMachines desktop with a 2.93GHz Celeron and 256MB of RAM. (I eventually upgraded it to a 3.2GHz Pentium 4, 1GB RAM, and a Geforce FX5500)
- After that I started to earn some of my own money as a teenager and at one point I'm pretty sure I had like half a dozen machines in my room alone lol
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:28 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:04 pm

- After that I started to earn some of my own money as a teenager and at one point I'm pretty sure I had like half a dozen machines in my room alone lol

As a teenager!!!!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:30 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:28 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

As a teenager!!!!
It's not hard to afford computers when you're buying secondhand thinkpads for $200 haha!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:37 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:30 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:28 pm

Smith1776 wrote:

As a teenager!!!!

It's not hard to afford computers when you're buying secondhand thinkpads for $200 haha!

I became a quick convert at computer shows when I saw you could buy desktops for $45! I was a combination of shocked and pleased. I think I bought three of them at one show.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:50 am

There are some old games I really want to play.

Shogo, Rainbox Six, Swat 2, Warcraft 2, and others.

I was thinking of buying an old Windows XP machine so that I could play them natively again.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:17 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:50 am

I was thinking of buying an old Windows XP machine so that I could play them natively again.
Have you used an emulator and played them non-natively?
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:20 am

Back in the day, Age of Kings was the go-to game. The best RTS I've ever played. I've never played Starcraft, but since it's still alive and kicking, I'd imagine it's probably the greatest.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:09 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:17 am
Smith1776 wrote:

Yeah... it's just not the same. There's almost always some kind of frame rate, stuttering, crashing, or glitching issue. The game's responsiveness just doesn't "feel" the same. During my move from Vancouver to Edmonton I dumped that old Windows XP desktop at value village. Definitely regretting that now.

buuut.... OMG.

Some of the games I listed are re-released on Steam!!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:27 pm

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:01 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:09 pm

dualstow wrote:

Smith1776 wrote:

Yeah... it's just not the same. There's almost always some kind of frame rate, stuttering, crashing, or glitching issue. The game's responsiveness just doesn't "feel" the same. During my move from Vancouver to Edmonton I dumped that old Windows XP desktop at value village. Definitely regretting that now.

buuut.... OMG.

What did you sell yours for? You should be able to buy a similar one at about the same price?

Plenty of them available on eBay:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (90.09 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:06 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:01 pm

What did you sell yours for? You should be able to buy a similar one at about the same price?

Capture.JPG
Nice! I might hop down to a local used computer store this weekend too, just to check things out.

I didn't get any $$$ for mine. I was happy just to get rid of it without having to pay, never mind getting paid.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:28 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:06 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:01 pm

Capture.JPG

Nice! I might hop down to a local used computer store this weekend too, just to check things out.

I didn't get any $$$ for mine. I was happy just to get rid of it without having to pay, never mind getting paid.

I took all the hard drives out of about six computers. Also took out all the CD-ROM drives. Then put then at the end of my driveway. I was shocked at how quickly they were taken.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:39 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:28 pm

I took all the hard drives out of about six computers. Also took out all the CD-ROM drives. Then put then at the end of my driveway. I was shocked at how quickly they were taken.
I remember seeing a fellow doing something like that in Vancouver... no one took the machines because it rains so much in Vancouver and water damage already got to them. ;D
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:03 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:09 pm
dualstow wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

buuut.... OMG.

Have you ever seen the late 90's game called Half Life?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFZ7PZ0bwc&t=0s
or its later remake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHKUVdb5YTM

Way back I thought the graphics were amazing, now, well........
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:45 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:39 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:28 pm

I remember seeing a fellow doing something like that in Vancouver... no one took the machines because it rains so much in Vancouver and water damage already got to them. ;D
I took an old Macintosh off the street, played with it for a day or two and then put it in my basement. It took awhile before I rid the house of cockroaches.

🚧 sorry if some of these posts are out of order. It took me four tries to move them from ‘Signatures.’
RIP Marcello Gandini