Why Is It So Hard To Spend Money?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 18, 2023 10:12 am

While still maintaining my super frugal ways in many areas of life .. the last few years I've loosened up considerably.

If it costs less than $100 and I'm interested in it I don't think too much about buying it. I buy it.

I definitely indulge in buying high end if it is a significant interest of mine.

Finally, last year went wild in spending on many large $$$$ house improvement items that had been deferred for decades.

Vinny

https://www.theretirementmanifesto.com/ ... end-money/
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Spend Money?

Post by Smith1776 » Mon May 22, 2023 12:46 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:12 am
While still maintaining my super frugal ways in many areas of life .. the last few years I've loosened up considerably.

If it costs less than $100 and I'm interested in it I don't think too much about buying it. I buy it.

I definitely indulge in buying high end if it is a significant interest of mine.

Finally, last year went wild in spending on many large $$$$ house improvement items that had been deferred for decades.

Vinny

I find it incredibly hard to spend money on big ticket items, but I will usually have no problem on smaller things like trying out a nice new restaurant and eating out.

I think the bane of investment enthusiasts like us is knowing what the compound value of every dollar is in the future. If we spend a dollar now we are losing ten dollars of capital value down the line. It can be make seemingly small sums seem enormous when seen through the framework of time value of money.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon May 22, 2023 12:52 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 12:46 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:12 am

Vinny

I find it incredibly hard to spend money on big ticket items, but I will usually have no problem on smaller things like trying out a nice new restaurant and eating out.

I think the bane of investment enthusiasts like us is knowing what the compound value of every dollar is in the future. If we spend a dollar now we are losing ten dollars of capital value down the line. It can be make seemingly small sums seem enormous when seen through the framework of time value of money.

There was an article in the Wall St. Journal (have its paper version) from the 90s that showed how much that couch really cost you in the long run by buying it today and not investing its cost.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue May 23, 2023 11:36 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 12:52 pm
There was an article in the Wall St. Journal (have its paper version) from the 90s that showed how much that couch really cost you in the long run by buying it today and not investing its cost.
I remember seeing a similar article for Apple stock. What you would have in wealth if you had bought Apple shares instead of an iMac or whatnot. Brutal to see the opportunity cost.

https://thenextweb.com/news/this-is-how ... s-products
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue May 23, 2023 1:19 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:36 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 12:52 pm

I remember seeing a similar article for Apple stock. What you would have in wealth if you had bought Apple shares instead of an iMac or whatnot. Brutal to see the opportunity cost.

https://thenextweb.com/news/this-is-how ... s-products

Excellent article! Thanks!