How To Build A Bond Ladder

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 18, 2023 10:15 am

I will soon be using this comprehensive, detailed article to guide me in building my first bond ladder. Treasury bills / bonds only, of course!

Vinny

https://www.theretirementmanifesto.com/ ... nd-ladder/
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How To Build A Bond Ladder

Post by Xan » Thu May 18, 2023 10:45 am

Vinny, did you take your meds today?
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Thu May 18, 2023 2:42 pm

Seriously, Vinny. Please lay off posting for a few hours at least. Not sure what you are trying to do by starting a million new threads and posting in every other one. Enough is enough.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu May 18, 2023 5:30 pm

I dunno whats got him so excited but its contagious! IM FREAKING OUT
DogBreath

Post by DogBreath » Thu May 18, 2023 6:45 pm

barrett wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 2:42 pm
Seriously, Vinny. Please lay off posting for a few hours at least. Not sure what you are trying to do by starting a million new threads and posting in every other one. Enough is enough.
This has been going on for at least a year if not 2, and you guys are just now getting annoyed? Seriously?
coasting
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by coasting » Thu May 18, 2023 9:16 pm

DogBreath wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:45 pm
barrett wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 2:42 pm
This has been going on for at least a year if not 2, and you guys are just now getting annoyed? Seriously?
Naahh, I appreciate that he keeps this board active. Sometimes days pass without any posts, and I worry that everyone's drifted away. Carry the torch Vinny!
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri May 19, 2023 5:41 am

I never thought I'd come out in favor of posting limits, but you're right--this has become both tedious and abusive. It has driven off many of the better posters and has caused the overall IQ of the board to descend by at least 50 points.

It was clear to me over two years ago that there was an agenda here, and that agenda was to blanket the forum with drivel (including the incessant posting of articles and links without any substantial commentary) to the point where the utility of the forum as an island of critical thought and honest debate was lost. I'm actually surprised that the repetitive posting of entire articles hasn't caused a copyright holder to take action against the forum. Most astounding, however, is this poster's repeated refusal to defend his perfunctory pot shots at the commentary of members with whom he disagrees, and his refusal to even identify the points with which he takes exception. If that isn't the definition of a disruptive troll, I don't know what is.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat May 20, 2023 6:46 pm

Elon needs to buy this place and unban everyone
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sun May 21, 2023 4:51 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:46 pm
Maybe that was just a joke, but you say it like there are tons of people who were banned for no legitimate reason.
I can only think of a few who were banned. And if their comments were given safe quarter, this forum would be on the way to becoming a hate forum. The forum administrator is not particularly heavy handed IMO. When he has banned someone, they were basically begging for it.

Whatever anyone might say about Vinny, I don't read him to be hateful nor angry.
Maybe a little eccentric. But hey, I'm in no position to be throwing stones in that regard.
I'm not sure the Permanent Portfolio is a strategy that attracts the cool kids anyway. Some days less might be more Vinny.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun May 21, 2023 5:22 pm

glennds wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 4:51 pm
boglerdude wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:46 pm
Maybe that was just a joke, but you say it like there are tons of people who were banned for no legitimate reason.
I can only think of a few who were banned. And if their comments were given safe quarter, this forum would be on the way to becoming a hate forum. The forum administrator is not particularly heavy handed IMO. When he has banned someone, they were basically begging for it.

Whatever anyone might say about Vinny, I don't read him to be hateful nor angry.
Maybe a little eccentric. But hey, I'm in no position to be throwing stones in that regard.
I'm not sure the Permanent Portfolio is a strategy that attracts the cool kids anyway. Some days less might be more Vinny.

Good one glennds, good one. 🤣

Where have I seen something similar?

O, I remember.

AND "I'm a more-is-more person."

FWIW I think Vinny is a good guy with his heart in the right place. Just prolific sometimes but a good guy.

Forgiveness is a virtue.

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun May 21, 2023 9:26 pm

Ahh... more pablum.

That's what we were all waiting for.

Hugs.
XO,
Mark
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sun May 21, 2023 11:28 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:26 pm
Ahh... more pablum.

That's what we were all waiting for.

Hugs.
XO,
Mark
My quest for your approval continues Mark.
Code name El Dorado. Not giving up
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon May 22, 2023 12:42 am

glennds wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:28 pm
My quest for your approval continues Mark.
Code name El Dorado. Not giving up
A worthy quest. There are quicksands of mediocrity in thine path. God speed.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon May 22, 2023 6:35 am

Well when you're through giving each other hugs, maybe we could have a discussion about when eccentricity, narcissism, obsessive-compulsive behavior, and the need to dominate (not to mention whatever political motivations may be at play) become abusive of, and destructive to, the forum.

Is the nightly blanketing of every thread with diversionary chatter, and the serial opening of new threads consisting of little more than reposts of articles from other sources, constitute an acceptable use of the forum? How about the knee-jerk disparagement of politically-objectionable material posted by others, combined with the refusal to defend or even elaborate upon the basis for objection?

When a poster with these problems repeatedly refuses to heed the friendly nudges of other members, and flat-out ignores the warnings of the forum's administrator, is it time to say "Enough is enough?"
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon May 22, 2023 12:39 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:15 am
I will soon be using this comprehensive, detailed article to guide me in building my first bond ladder. Treasury bills / bonds only, of course!

Vinny

Vinny is there a particular reason why you'd like to opt for a bond ladder versus the barbell strategy of the classic PP?
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon May 22, 2023 12:50 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 12:39 pm

vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Vinny is there a particular reason why you'd like to opt for a bond ladder versus the barbell strategy of the classic PP?

It is what I'd be doing for the cash portion.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon May 22, 2023 6:49 pm

Maddy wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:35 am
Well when you're through giving each other hugs ..,

{smart stuff}

is it time to say "Enough is enough?"

My apologies for the diversionary drivel, but … damn. I wish I were as handy with a blade as you are. Aspirational.
IMG_4281.jpeg
IMG_4281.jpeg (318.86 KiB) Viewed 31519 times
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon May 22, 2023 10:21 pm

It appears the hugging is contagious. It's the summer of love for the forum.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon May 22, 2023 10:53 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 12:50 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Got it. So a pretty short bond ladder then. Sounds like you really like doing things in a bespoke way, Vinny. I just use a single ETF haha.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue May 23, 2023 4:43 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 12:50 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

You seriously expected an intelligent--or even responsive--answer to this question? Heck, I doubt he even read the article. Or maybe it was one of 50 articles he speed-read the night before so that he'd have something to post. This is exactly what I mean when I refer to blanketing the forum with drivel. This is HIS thread, and he isn't even able to discuss the subject.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue May 23, 2023 8:12 am

I have a bond ladder for my cash portion, composed of 6-month t-bills.
It still has some gaps in it, which are filled in with VUSXX (Vanguard treasury money market fund).
It’s great to get that 5% rate from cash even if inflation is worse.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue May 23, 2023 10:46 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 8:12 am

I have a bond ladder for my cash portion, composed of 6-month t-bills.
It still has some gaps in it, which are filled in with VUSXX (Vanguard treasury money market fund).
It’s great to get that 5% rate from cash even if inflation is worse.

I presently have ALL cash investments in VUSXX. As do I still have just about all my investments in Vanguard alone (though I recently reopened a Fidelity account).

By buying the T-bills directly I would truly have 100% T-bills instead of the items I do not like that are and can be in VUSXX.

Plus even though the VUSXX expense ratio is not that high I could save on that, trading my time for the expense ratio savings.

Need to decide how much of my cash to put into weekly, monthly, multi-month, multi-year T-bills / bonds.

This could be a time when, in retrospect, we wished we'd locked in the current rates for longer time periods.

But, in general, right now I'm bringing in a lot of personal finance information so as to make final decisions on many items, including the above one.

I've put a lot of other things behind me so this is my top priority and can put a lot of time into it when I am indoors.

But when the weather is nice I'm outside working on my 1,600 square foot garden. I've done a ton of work on it the past two weeks and after today I will have reached a point wherein it'll just require maintenance and not all the hours I've spent planting about 200 plants plus covering all the 1,600 square feet with both wood chips and mulch (mainly composed of leaves from my property).
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue May 23, 2023 11:32 am

Canada has only recently got its first 90 day T-bill ETF.... ever: CBIL.TO

https://horizonsetfs.com/ETF/cbil/

Sometimes I forget how sparse our investment landscape here is relative to the U.S.
vnatale wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 10:46 am
But when the weather is nice I'm outside working on my 1,600 square foot garden. I've done a ton of work on it the past two weeks and after today I will have reached a point wherein it'll just require maintenance and not all the hours I've spent planting about 200 plants plus covering all the 1,600 square feet with both wood chips and mulch (mainly composed of leaves from my property).
Vinny, as someone who has only become a homeowner relatively recently, I may need your advice on lawn care and gardening. After the first snowfall here my grass and plants aren't looking so hot!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue May 23, 2023 1:17 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:32 am

Sometimes I forget how sparse our investment landscape here is relative to the U.S.

vnatale wrote:

Vinny, as someone who has only become a homeowner relatively recently, I may need your advice on lawn care and gardening. After the first snowfall here my grass and plants aren't looking so hot!

I'd be the last one to ask for advice on either! My lawn is whatever it turns out to be. Last summer my property was regraded on all sides of the house, leaving a lot of bare loam. The farthest thing from my mind would be to invest any time / money into grass seed. I've yet to cut my grass (I think some of my neighbors may have already done it three or four times). I'm just waiting to see what it turns into left on its own, e.g, whatever wild flowers show up.

Though I've been gardening a lot, I hold myself to still be in the elementary school level. A lot of my reason for doing it is to eb doing something outside and the physical exercise. I use only hand tools - shovel, rake, hoe. Just about the same implements that were being used 3,000 years ago? My only compost, for the most part, is what comes out of the gerbils' / rats' homes with my urine added to it plus whatever I have from food scraps. Finally the covering comes from free wood chips put on my property (those tree people need to put it somewhere) and all the leaves from my property (plus some from my neighbors' properties).

It's somewhat the lowest cost way of doing it but which takes the most time.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue May 23, 2023 10:57 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 1:17 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:32 am

vnatale wrote:
I'd be the last one to ask for advice on either! My lawn is whatever it turns out to be. Last summer my property was regraded on all sides of the house, leaving a lot of bare loam. The farthest thing from my mind would be to invest any time / money into grass seed. I've yet to cut my grass (I think some of my neighbors may have already done it three or four times). I'm just waiting to see what it turns into left on its own, e.g, whatever wild flowers show up.

Though I've been gardening a lot, I hold myself to still be in the elementary school level. A lot of my reason for doing it is to eb doing something outside and the physical exercise. I use only hand tools - shovel, rake, hoe. Just about the same implements that were being used 3,000 years ago? My only compost, for the most part, is what comes out of the gerbils' / rats' homes with my urine added to it plus whatever I have from food scraps. Finally the covering comes from free wood chips put on my property (those tree people need to put it somewhere) and all the leaves from my property (plus some from my neighbors' properties).

It's somewhat the lowest cost way of doing it but which takes the most time.
I couldn't agree more about the whole physical activity thing. As someone who really likes technology it's easy for me to be too sedentary and sit in front of my computer. Some fresh air and activity outside really does wonders for office types.

I'm in "luck" though I suppose. This past winter really did a number on my lawn and outside plants. So there's plenty to work on. The lush lawn I had when I first bought the property has only about half the density and lots of weeds have sprouted. The plants in the front garden have mostly wilted.

Oh, and also, don't let anyone on the forum ever get you down Vinny. You're the best!