Your favorite charity?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Your favorite charity?

Post by vnatale » Wed May 24, 2023 9:14 am

Here is your chance to get more money to your favorite charity!

I have a Donor Advised Fund with Vanguard.

I need to make a donation to some charity by June 1, 2023. So as to not wait until the last minute I'm hoping to make the decision by tonight.

From having worked with various charities I've acquired a wary view of how many charities spend their money. Of course, compared to my ultra frugal lifestyle I think that they waste a lot of money, money that does not go to accomplishing their stated mission.

Therefore high on my list is a charity having maximum amount of money go to its mission. And, that the mission is effective.

I have been attracted to Doctors Without Borders because I admire that these highly skilled professional give away their itme and services for free. But when I see repeated commercials by them on the Yankees Entertainment Network it gives me pause. This money spend on ads is certainly not going to carry out the organization's mission. But if they are bringing in more money than the commercials cost ... was the cost of that advertising a good use of money?

Right now I am completely undecided. I have a few that I plan to do further investigation on.

You each have an opportunity to pitch to me why I should support your charity.

NOTE: It will only be one charity that I am making this donation to.

Finally, from having been on the inside .... it's far better if people, instead of making donations to 20 different charities, each person gave a donation to only one of those 20 charities. The charities would end up with the same amount of money but it would save a lot of administrative work that is attached to each of the donations, i.e., accounting for them, acknowledging them, soliciting for future ones, and so on. Of course, it's best for any charitable organization to have a broad base of supporters and not be dependent / overly reliant on just a handful. But, in general, those people who give their donations to multiple organizations are not being efficient with their donations. Prior to the creation of my donor advised funds I only gave to three organizations.

Thanks for giving me any of your organizations for me to consider to support!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Your favorite charity?

Post by Mountaineer » Wed May 24, 2023 9:53 am

https://www.ogt.org/

Read about it at the link. Very effective and efficient use of donations.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed May 24, 2023 10:06 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:53 am

https://www.ogt.org/

Read about it at the link. Very effective and efficient use of donations.

Thanks for this. Just did a quick look at their 990. Will further investigate later today.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 24, 2023 10:34 am

DEWORM THE WORLD - https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/900874591 // Charity name is Evidence Action
honestly, what could be better, Vinny. and look at the score.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I also like:
the Gentle Barn - https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/954776451
↳ hoping they can adopt the feral cats who are a blight on Kriegs’ property

Girls Inc
https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/131915124

Ronald McDonald House
American Eagle Foundation. https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/581652023
Tunnel to Towers
Women’s Shelters
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed May 24, 2023 11:13 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 10:34 am

DEWORM THE WORLD - https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/900874591 // Charity name is Evidence Action
honestly, what could be better, Vinny. and look at the score.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I also like:
the Gentle Barn - https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/954776451
↳ hoping they can adopt the feral cats who are a blight on Kriegs’ property

Girls Inc
https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/131915124

Ronald McDonald House
American Eagle Foundation. https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/581652023
Tunnel to Towers
Women’s Shelters

Thanks for all of these! Will do my due diligence on each of them.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed May 24, 2023 6:49 pm

I looked at all the ones that Mountaineer and Dualstow recommended.

I also reviewed several that had been profiled in Kiplinger's.

Had issues with all of them.

But did not want to make this a prolonged exercise or, even worse, not get it done tonight.

Finally decided on Dualstow's first recommendation - Evidence Action.

Liked that they provide health to those much worse off than us and use the existing infrastructures in the areas in which they serve.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu May 25, 2023 5:33 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:49 pm
I looked at all the ones that Mountaineer and Dualstow recommended.

I also reviewed several that had been profiled in Kiplinger's.

Had issues with all of them.

But did not want to make this a prolonged exercise or, even worse, not get it done tonight.

Finally decided on Dualstow's first recommendation - Evidence Action.

Liked that they provide health to those much worse off than us and use the existing infrastructures in the areas in which they serve.

Good for you. I'm sure the lives of the recipients of your donations will be a little better than they were before. God's blessings to all concerned.

From today’s Portals of Prayer reading:
The Gift of Generosity
In yesterday’s devotion, we talked about our duty and privilege in managing God’s possessions. Managing well what God gives us is our sacrifice of thanksgiving to God. It ensures that God’s people are taken care of. However, there are many more opportunities God wants to give us.

God’s generosity is evident. He did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us. We can trust that He will give us all things needful. As we open our hearts and our hands more and more to others, God supplies us with more and more to give. When others see our generosity and see that it comes through our faith in Jesus and God’s promised provision, they, too, will offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving to God. Generosity results in thanksgiving.

Generosity is the catalyst that keeps a ministry going. Generosity is contagious because cheerful givers are inspiring. People are inspired to pray for a generous ministry. People are inspired to give to a generous ministry. Generosity blesses the receiver as well as the giver. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu May 25, 2023 6:15 am

Mountaineer vs the Serpent;
Dualstow vs the worms
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:44 pm

https://www.sens.org/about-us/ wrote: Why is it so important to support SENS Research Foundation?
In short, because all over the world, people and societies are grappling with the diseases and disabilities of aging. The amount of time, money, and energy already being poured into attempts to thwart diseases like Alzheimer’s, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes is tremendous. Unfortunately, despite progress in treating the symptoms of these diseases, not a single one of them has yet been cured.

SENS Research Foundation aims to change the way the world researches and treats age-related disease. We believe it will take a charity to spark a revolution in medical research paradigms and create the initial energy for a true rejuvenation biotechnology industry to develop. We are the only non-profit currently prioritizing a regenerative medicine approach to the diseases of aging, and only with your support can we continue to push the frontiers of medicine along this critical but neglected path.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:43 pm

Jack Jones wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:44 pm

https://www.sens.org/about-us/ wrote:
Why is it so important to support SENS Research Foundation?
In short, because all over the world, people and societies are grappling with the diseases and disabilities of aging. The amount of time, money, and energy already being poured into attempts to thwart diseases like Alzheimer’s, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes is tremendous. Unfortunately, despite progress in treating the symptoms of these diseases, not a single one of them has yet been cured.

SENS Research Foundation aims to change the way the world researches and treats age-related disease. We believe it will take a charity to spark a revolution in medical research paradigms and create the initial energy for a true rejuvenation biotechnology industry to develop. We are the only non-profit currently prioritizing a regenerative medicine approach to the diseases of aging, and only with your support can we continue to push the frontiers of medicine along this critical but neglected path.

There are innumerable charities / nonprofit organizations with lofty goals / mission statements.

The challenge for someone donating is to discern which ones are effective in reaching those goals and in an efficient manner, i.e., using the highest percentage of those donated $$$$$ towards the actual mission / goals.
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:11 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:43 pm
There are innumerable charities / nonprofit organizations with lofty goals / mission statements.

The challenge for someone donating is to discern which ones are effective in reaching those goals and in an efficient manner, i.e., using the highest percentage of those donated $$$$$ towards the actual mission / goals.
The Notorious BIG wrote:Mo' Money, Mo' Problems.
O0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:13 pm

hahaha
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:13 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:13 pm
hahaha
Re. The year of lasagna - good choice after the years of COVID (the years of sea urchin sushi). 🤣🤣🤣
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:27 pm

My favourite charity is going into a grocery store, buying food, and then personally handing it to the person in need on the street.

No money wasted on a charity's "administrative" expenses and I also know exactly where the money is going.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:37 pm

You handing out mooncakes?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:40 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:37 pm
You handing out mooncakes?
Last time I did it I handed out Quiznos!
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:42 am

My usual donations are to a local news website (Nevada Independent), the Internet Archive, and the House Rabbit Society.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:10 pm

joypog wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:42 am
…and the House Rabbit Society.
ok, you have piqued my interest.
googling now…
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:28 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:10 pm

joypog wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:42 am

…and the House Rabbit Society.

ok, you have piqued my interest.
googling now…

You doing so got me to do it also (but, of course, by Binging it).

Beautiful rabbit on that opening page!

I've had two rabbits in my pet owning career.

First one I let roam around the house until I discovered that it loved to chew on all the wires on the floors in my living room!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:20 pm

When I am older, and hopefully more affluent, I would like to donate specifically to men's mental health and suicide prevention causes. :)
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:17 am

Smithers,

Perhaps you could get your Canadian friends to turn off the smoke a bit. ;) Really bad here today. Hope the fire fighters stay safe and get things under control soon. They have a nasty, dangerous job that we should all be thankful for their efforts.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:56 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:17 am

Smithers,

Perhaps you could get your Canadian friends to turn off the smoke a bit. ;) Really bad here today. Hope the fire fighters stay safe and get things under control soon. They have a nasty, dangerous job that we should all be thankful for their efforts.

One of my female softball players elected to not play Tuesday night, saying she could barely breathe when being outside.

Another female (asthmatic) player did play and we heard her suffer throughout the game with her frequent coughing.

Last night both played with no issue.

I wear semi-rigid gas permeable contact lens. When the wind is blowing it gets tiny particles in my eye and it feels quite similar to having stinging shampoo in your eyes. But for Tuesday night I saw and felt nothing different.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:23 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Smithers,

Our city has been inundated! It's awful.

Apparently the increased frequency and intensity of wildfires is a sign of the times regarding climate change. We had some rain here in Edmonton last week or so and that really helped. I went outside to grab the mail this morning though.. and more smoke. :o

Maybe wildfire relief is a local cause I should donate to.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:47 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:23 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Smithers,

Our city has been inundated! It's awful.

Apparently the increased frequency and intensity of wildfires is a sign of the times regarding climate change. We had some rain here in Edmonton last week or so and that really helped. I went outside to grab the mail this morning though.. and more smoke. :o

Maybe wildfire relief is a local cause I should donate to.

That's the neat thing about the switch from global warming to climate change: literally anything can be used to "prove" that it's happening!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:05 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:47 pm
That's the neat thing about the switch from global warming to climate change: literally anything can be used to "prove" that it's happening!
I have an idea. Let's just build a giant air conditioner that will cool the whole atmosphere and vent the heat into space! O0