Any "Breaking Bad" Fans Here?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Any "Breaking Bad" Fans Here?

Post by MediumTex »

l82start wrote: WOW    OK i just finished season four...WOW... i wont post any spoilers for those still watching, but i must say... best ending ever!
if you haven't started yet...start... if you are part way through  keep going... you wont be disapointed....
The body count in the series is amazing.  If you think about how many people have died because of Walt's decision to take the path he took, it's incredible.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

the transformation from hunched shouldered, broken spirited, high school chem teacher to hardened "breaker of bad" over the course of his journey through the meth world was the best part, and the actors portrayal of it was  impeccable... 

...and the body count was incredible..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by 6 Iron »

I have also been drawn into Breaking Bad by this thread, and just finished the first 3 seasons on netflix. Outstanding show, but I am now considering buying season 4 on instant download----something that is quite unlike me to do. Of course, I could just consider it a small, poorly performing Variable portfolio investment.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

6 Iron wrote: I have also been drawn into Breaking Bad by this thread, and just finished the first 3 seasons on netflix. Outstanding show, but I am now considering buying season 4 on instant download----something that is quite unlike me to do. Of course, I could just consider it a small, poorly performing Variable portfolio investment.
I had never done anything like that either, but when I got to the end of season 3, I couldn't wait to give Amazon my $32 to stream season 4.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

I just started the show 20 minutes ago and can already tell I'm going to love it.  I already feel for the guy.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

moda0306 wrote: I just started the show 20 minutes ago and can already tell I'm going to love it.   I already feel for the guy.
It's a great show.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

I think there's a little Walt in all of us at some point in our lives.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i have been doing a "weeds" marathon the last few days, i am up to season 6 so far, it isn't as good as breaking bad or even in the same league, but still addicting in its own way, same with game of thrones, watched all of season one in a couple nights...

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I watched the first season of The Walking Dead over the last few days.  It's pretty good.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i have seen the first season of that one as well, it is very well done, i was given the first 4 issues of the graphic novel for Christmas one year, very worth while if you like graphic novels , even better than the TV show...

moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

I am so hooked right now.  The dark humor combined with what I'd call the "American tragedy" on display on so many levels... Amazing.

I wouldn't have started it without you guys.

- Thomas Paine
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Just finished watching "Breaking Bad" Season 4 yesterday. Best drama TV show I have ever seen. Masterful writing, acting, and directing.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

I would have never watched had it not been for the recs here.

What a great show. 
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Trying not to ruin anything for anyone but when the doctor explained Walt's status with his family (including the in-laws) in the office and told him where his cancer was in terms of remission I felt like I was right in the office with him.  I was pretty emotionally effected by the announcement of the results in a way I rarely am (not crying or anything, just on the edge of my seat WANTING him to be ok).

- Thomas Paine
scotomatic

Post by scotomatic »

I am not sure how season 5 can be better than the season 4. Just can't imagine it. My favorite episodes were 7-13 in season 4. Of course the final episode was epic. My other highlight in season 4 was "Problem Dog".  Just loved Jesse's acting.  (I'm being careful not to give anything away for those who haven't caught up yet.)

What was your favorite episode? (other than the finale)...be careful not to say too much for those who haven't caught up.

BTW, season 5 will have 16 episodes and will be the final season.
melveyr
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by melveyr »

I am hooked thanks to this thread. Still in the middle of season four... I love how the show introduces characters that seem static, only to flesh them out and grow our understanding of them in later seasons. Learning more about Gus is always interesting  ;)
everything comes from somewhere and everything goes somewhere
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I love Hank.

One of the funniest lines I've ever heard was when he was talking about how "we've just got to support the shit out of her" when talking about his wife's shoplifting.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

Saul Goodman has some fantastic scenes. 

The great thing about him is that even though he is a total sleaze, he is very loyal to Walt and Jesse.  He's also very smart. 

One of my favorite scenes is when he is explaining to Walt why a Laser Tag joint is better than a car wash for money laundering purposes, "No, Danny." 

I also love the line, "It adds up perfectly...Walt's a scientist, scientists love lasers," when trying to describe how the White's could explain why the heck they purchased a Laser Tag arena.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Hank is great.  He plays that part to perfection.  Really adds to the humor on the show... Him and Saul add just the right touch.

- Thomas Paine
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Saul is a great character.  I love how he is in a grave begging for his life within a few hours of coming into contact with Walt and Jesse.
rhymenocerous
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rhymenocerous »

For anyone suffering from Breaking Bad withdrawal, you should check out Showtime's new breakout show, Homeland.  Starz also just started a new show called Boss, with Kelsey Grammer.  It looks promising, although I've only seen the first 2 episodes.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Watching Skyler transform is almost as interesting as Walt.

Her attitude is so encouraging early on and I felt so bad for her.

Now I am often disgusted by her attitude towards Walt and the choices she makes.

- Thomas Paine
quenali

Post by quenali »

Skyler looks a little different to me in Season 4.  Her face looks a little puffier and maybe some weight gain.

My son in college told me he wants to start watching BB.  i advised him to wait till semester break fearing it may interfere with his study time.  Haha
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

I thought Skyler looked a bit puffier in season 3 (I'm not on 4 yet).

- Thomas Paine
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Did anyone else love the opening of that episode where the guys were singing in the field?

It was almost like that song helped explain what was going through the minds of the Mexican hit men who were looking for Walt as well as the overall arc of the story.

When I first saw the musical bit, I couldn't quite figure out what it was trying to say.  Looking back on it, it makes perfect sense. 

It's three minutes.  Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPx42dMj ... re=related