Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Any "Breaking Bad" Fans Here?

Post by MediumTex »

I see it's on Netflix.

I am anxious to check it out.  I have not watched it on AMC.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Any "Breaking Bad" Fans Here?

Post by l82start »

i have been working my way through the first season, and am enjoying it a lot so far.  i haven't seen season two yet....
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
rhymenocerous
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rhymenocerous »

I am a huge movie fan, studied it in school, and probably watch too much TV as well.  There are tons of shows that I've followed over the years, both good and bad.  Out of the thousands of hours of TV, I have to say that Breaking Bad is the most well-written and well-acted show I've ever seen.  The dialog is not really overly stylized in a way that reads well in a novel.  It is completely realistic.  Similarly, the plot plays forth in a completely logical way.  It can be slow at times in the beginning, but every episode builds the drama and tension just by a little bit until it explodes by the end and you're gripping the edge of your seat.  The cast is incredible, especially the leads Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul.  Once you get into the second and third seasons some of the scenes/emotions they are able to express will move you to tears.  There's a reason Bryan Cranston has won best actor every year he's been eligible (Aaron Paul also won best supporting actor for the last season).  You won't be disappointed in this show.

I feel that today's TV shows have definitely increased in overall quality from past decades like the 60s-90s.  They are much more cinematic in their writing and subject matter.  There are some shows which come close, but the only other show that matches this level of writing and acting is HBO's In Treatment.
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

Great show.  Enjoy.  We've been too busy at home to get caught up but I badly want to start season 3.

Are you getting this on streaming or having the discs sent to you via QwiksterTM?  (Still kicking myself for deciding not to include Netflix in my suicide portfolio!)
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van »

rhymenocerous wrote:I feel that today's TV shows have definitely increased in overall quality from past decades like the 60s-90s.
HEY! Don't knock "Soap"!

;D
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Lone Wolf wrote: Great show.  Enjoy.  We've been too busy at home to get caught up but I badly want to start season 3.

Are you getting this on streaming or having the discs sent to you via QwiksterTM?  (Still kicking myself for deciding not to include Netflix in my suicide portfolio!)
I believe it just became available for streaming in the last few days (seasons 1-3).
Last edited by MediumTex on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

It looks really good, and I agree that shows have become incredible in the last decade.  Not just movie production quality, but they actually leverage their ability to go deep into characters & plots in ways movies simply can't.

A few other shows that I've found to be very good:

- Sopranos
- Dexter
- Rescue Me
- The Shield (probably the best show I've seen)
- Entourage (more silly, but very good)
- Mad Men (very weak to start, but get's pretty good)
- Prison Break & Lost (guilty pleasures, but both shows are very good in some ways)
Last edited by moda0306 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
rhymenocerous
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rhymenocerous »

After just watching season 4 episode 11 on TV, I want to reiterate how every season keeps you on the edge of your seat.  The story moves slow in the beginning, but it just builds and builds until everything explodes by the last 3 episodes and you can't wait until the next episode the following week.  You just go further and further down the rabbit hole.  Part of what is so exciting as well is that I have absolutely no idea about what will happen in the next two episodes of the season or how anything will be resolved.
Last edited by rhymenocerous on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liz L.

Post by Liz L. »

Breaking Bad is right up there with the Sopranos for me.

Other favorites: Dexter, The Shield, The Wire, Mad Men.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i am a huge Dexter fan as well... i even buy the books... which don't follow the TV show after the first book/season, so i have two parallel Dexter worlds to enjoy..

breaking bad season two just came in, so i will be watching it over the next couple few days....  :)

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Dexter is one solid show.  They don't come much better.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

Anyone watch Boardwalk Empire?  It's fantastic.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
scotomatic

Post by scotomatic »

MT, have you started watching Breaking Bad yet?  My brother told me about this show earlier this summer.  It might be the most entertaining TV series I've ever seen.  There were nights where my wife and I would watch 3 or 4 episodes in a row.  We are hooked on the show like blue meth. 

We are now finally caught up in Season 4.  It is so hard to watch with commercials...and then you have to wait an entire week for the next one.  The writing and acting are phenomenal.  You'll get a couple of slow episodes here and there, but it always picks up pace.  The DVD extras with behind the scenes commentary are quite good if you really get into it. AMC said just one more season next year.  Bummer.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

scotomatic wrote: MT, have you started watching Breaking Bad yet?  My brother told me about this show earlier this summer.  It might be the most entertaining TV series I've ever seen.  There were nights where my wife and I would watch 3 or 4 episodes in a row.  We are hooked on the show like blue meth. 

We are now finally caught up in Season 4.  It is so hard to watch with commercials...and then you have to wait an entire week for the next one.  The writing and acting are phenomenal.  You'll get a couple of slow episodes here and there, but it always picks up pace.  The DVD extras with behind the scenes commentary are quite good if you really get into it. AMC said just one more season next year.  Bummer.
I am just starting season three.  What an amazing show.

Great writing, great acting, great suspense, so authentic.

My dad died of lung cancer a few years ago, so I understand that experience very well.  The show is mostly accurate in the way it handles the process of dealing with this disease, especially the grinding emotional exhaustion that family members begin to experience.

It's easily the best TV show I have ever seen.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

MT,

What are some other shows high on your list?

I haven't watched the show, but watching Malcolm in the Middle's dad deal drugs just doesn't seem right.

- Thomas Paine
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

moda0306 wrote: MT,

What are some other shows high on your list?

I haven't watched the show, but watching Malcolm in the Middle's dad deal drugs just doesn't seem right.
I enjoyed Jericho.

I like the original Twilight Zone very much.

All in the Family was outstanding.

I really don't watch much TV at all, so I'm not a good person to ask about TV shows.
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm »

Anyone watch the Terra Nova premier this week?  It's a pretty decent show so far.  Steven Spielberg is even one of the producers.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
rhymenocerous
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rhymenocerous »

I agree with many of moda's recommendations and will add:

Drama:
Breaking Bad
Dexter
In Treatment
Mad Men
Six Feet Under
The Wire
Prison Break  (first 2 seasons)

Comedy:
Arrested Development
The Office
30 Rock
Parks and Recreations
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Friends
Seinfeld

I haven't seen the Shield or Deadwood, but I've heard good things about them.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

The Office is absolutely amazing once you figure out the characters and there nuances.

I simply don't "get" Curb Your Enthusiasm, though I used to say the same about the office.

rhym,

Did you not like Season 4 of Prison Break?  I hated 3, but I thought 4 was spectacular.  I thought the show was wrapped up really well.
Last edited by moda0306 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Thomas Paine
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

moda0306 wrote: I simply don't "get" Curb Your Enthusiasm, though I used to say the same about the office.
I'm going to report you to the site administrator if you keep bashing Curb.  ;D
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
scotomatic

Post by scotomatic »

MediumTex wrote:
scotomatic wrote: MT, have you started watching Breaking Bad yet?  My brother told me about this show earlier this summer.  It might be the most entertaining TV series I've ever seen.  There were nights where my wife and I would watch 3 or 4 episodes in a row.  We are hooked on the show like blue meth. 

I am just starting season three.  What an amazing show.

Great writing, great acting, great suspense, so authentic.

My dad died of lung cancer a few years ago, so I understand that experience very well.  The show is mostly accurate in the way it handles the process of dealing with this disease, especially the grinding emotional exhaustion that family members begin to experience.

It's easily the best TV show I have ever seen.
I think it is the best show I've ever seen as well.  While all of the episodes are excellent, the second half of Season 4 is really tremendous.  Jesse and Walt are quite a combo.   
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm »

Parks and Recreation is another comedy that is absolutely hilarious.  It has the same fake-Documentary style as The Office.  The characters in that show are just amazing and funny.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I've finished season three and just spent $32 or so to get season 4 streaming through Amazon.

Awesome show.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

up to episode 11 season two... very tempting to watch the rest back to back in one sitting.. 

scotomatic

Post by scotomatic »

MediumTex wrote: I've finished season three and just spent $32 or so to get season 4 streaming through Amazon.

Awesome show.
Tex, Season 4 is amazing.  Really kicks in when you get to episode number 6--every one from that point forward is riveting.  I am envious that you get to watch them back to back--best way to watch.  It's so hard to wait a week in between episodes.  Unfortunately, the season finale is Sunday night.  Will have to wait soooooo long for next season.